1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Crafting System

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by SpittDragons, Dec 17, 2013.

1. SpittDragons

SpittDragons New Cupcake

Everything I've seen so far has been uplifting as a long time MMO player. (15+ years) But the combination of vague posts/comments and no official information has cast shadows of doubt on the crafting system.

Obviously with little to no information, my mind has run wild with possibilities and consequences to the system that seems to be suggested by what little we do know.

My Concerns

- The system will be a mini-game that produces pre-fabricated pieces of gear.
    - That item scaling will limit the unique looks of items and players. (Needed Item Level will trump personal gear choice)
    - A lack of player creation (I'm not talking, player designs from the ground up, I think we all know that would lead to a large amount of genital shaped images on gear!)
    - A system of mundane random items with little player control (Mini-games that reward certain looks or stats based on a score in that crafting game.)
    - A lack of fun consumable or cosmetic items
    - An experience that starts out fun and quickly becomes tedious as options dwindle
    - A ridiculous amount of material required for items based on level rather than size. (Why a sword of equal size requires 10 times the ore because it has better stats I will never know)
    - Escalating Material Types (Copper, Bronze, Silver, Iron, Gold, Steel, Unobtainium)

My Hopes

- Crafting as a 5th Path
    - General Material-Either 1 type of material or several that do not scale with level. (Copper, bronze and Iron all found at level 1, used to produce different looks rather than better stats.)
    - Equal Material cost-Three bars to make a pair of boots at level 1 and three bars to make a pair of boots at level 50, though the mechanical components might change. (Mob Drops, similar to GW2, but with less disconnects between "magic" materials)
    - The ability to scan gear and blueprint the components. (I find a Chest piece with a giant skull on it, a weird coolant system on the back and a border pattern around the neck, waist and arm holes. I scan the piece and learn how to make the individual pieces.)
    - The ability to scan Objects, Plants and Mobs like the Scientist, except it extracts shapes and patterns that become blueprints. Including Raid Bosses and Elder Game content.
    - A System that allows players to take scanned blueprints and mix and match the components they've learned to create new item looks. (I take the rocket jets from Metal Maw, the Skull from that chest piece I found and boot shape of a statue I scanned, make the individual pieces and put them together to form a pair of boots no one else has ever crafted or seen before.)
    - A stat system more like SWTOR Stats are put into the armor via mods, including Armor Class. (I sold my Unique Boots, that player was a raider and installed modifications that made the item level what he needed. (Like-wise those Mods could be crafted)
    - The ability to name your Created Gear (With a word filter, preferably)
    - The ability to print off blueprints for the item, that could be sold or gifted to other crafters. (With a Created by [Name] and Crafted by [Name] (People will see who designed it and hopefully want you to design something from them as well, "Recognize my skill!")
    - Basically it would allow players to be creative, create endless unique looks, allow guilds to have specific looks for their gear, provide a system of looks separate from stats and give crafters a way to get their name out there, like the Nike Symbol in A Knights Tale!

Just my thoughts on the matter, so far nothing that's been confirmed in this game has disappointed me yet, so I expect to be surprised and pleased here as well regardless of my concerns and hopes. Love to hear others thoughts as well.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Just a tip:
    Adjust your hopes, for you will be dissapointed otherwise....and I would hate to see that.
    The hopes you currently have would fit a game that focusses on their crafting system a lot. While I personally think WS does a good job on their crafting, I cannot see them implement all those hopes into it.

Some are not going to happen 100%! So I say it again, I really hope you don't let your hopes get up to high...for you may fall down a long way!

Hopes I personally would remove from your list since they won't make it anytime soon:
    And yes.....this is almost your entire list :p

First off all the ''scanning''....scanning is the scientist thing, won't be having scanning in the crafting system (100% true). So I suggest you take a deep breath and abbandon that hope ;)

Also...naming your gear?!?!?! Creating gear from scraps yourself so the looks are completely different?!?!?

You do know they don't allow ''costumes'' in PvP....and they do that for a reason. People want to know what kind of gear people are wearing, because then they can see how good they are. If you implement your hope....then that get's really tough. Also naming your gear?!?!?........

And about the crafting costs.....I understand your feelings with this one, I really do. But have you ever seen a MMO where this is implemented? I haven't, and therefore I don't think we'll see that happen anytime soon.

Sorry for attacking your hopes.....but I rather do it now, then to let you buy the game and mayby get dissapointed so much that you quit playing it, what would be a waste. I rather see you enter with an open mind and with a game in mind with a bad crafting system, then I am sure that you will find it way better then in that game :coffee:

MY hopes were:
    That the crafting system is more then WoW's ''gather mats and click 1 button leveling it up without trading with other proffesions''.
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. SpittDragons

SpittDragons New Cupcake

Worse case scenario, I don't like the crafting system, so I don't do it. The game looks crazy good, crafting is filler IMO.

As far as my hopes go, I tend to hope for more than anyone could deliver. But they're hopes, not expectations. Not hurting my feelings any to toss out the entire list. Between the information I do have, it sounds like a solid system is in place so I doubt I'll be disappointed.

I really do think that making crafting a path would be the best way to go however. To me the Hobbies, cooking. fishing, or whatever there may be for everyone. Gathering materials also good for everyone. But leave the majority of crafting to those that enjoy it most. Let them gather more mats per node, create the best gear, and use the higher quality blueprints. But I expect the 4 paths are set and the crafting system is solid this late in the game.

I'm more focused on my concerns, which tend to be fun-sucking systems that have been tried and have failed in the past.

But thanks for the honest response.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Glad to hear that I was afraid you would get turned down to the entire game if the crafting would not meet your hopes.
    SpittDragons likes this.