1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Credd to gold. Buy everything?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Arsonist, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

I saw this post in another thread.

""Most, if not all, of the stat-based items you can buy directly for gold via a vendor are locked behind other content-based gating mechanisms, such as reputation.

There is, of course, always the auction house. But the AH is limited by other game mechanics like drop rates, crafting progression, etc."" from crb j-tal.

Correct me if I am wrong but won't somebody with disposable income be able to buy all the credd they want turn it into gold and buy the best items in the game?
  2. Rentah

Rentah Cupcake-About-Town

No they wont. Since the game isnt Pay2Win.
    Saybel, Baamz and Destrin like this.
  3. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Nowhere in his statement did he say that those stat items were "the best in game". A green quest drop has stats on it, and if you can put it on the AH then yes, someone with lots of money could buy all the green items on the AH.
  4. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

I am just trying to understand what will be available to buy for gold. I dont know much about this system but from the outside view it seems somebody would be able to buy all the gold they want and purchase anything in game that is sold for gold.

He did say "most if not all" ... I am not trying to troll just trying to understand how it works.
  5. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

they said gold wouldnt buy power, just visual objects

so pay2shine
  6. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

i dont think it will be pay 2 win. it will probably be stuff like mounts that will go for gold rather than really good items.
  7. Echo

Echo Cupcake

you mean like this?
    [​IMG]
    Arsonist likes this.
  8. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

Hey Arsonist!

From what I've gathered from what we've seen so far is that mounts, housing(to some extent) and a few other unnamed items that are mostly cosmetic will be where large chunks of gold will end up.

There WILL be reputation vendors which sell high end items. If you're familiar with WoW and the reputation grind for low level epics in Cataclysm and TBC(I never had to grind for items in WoTLK) then this system will make sense.

I do not believe that these are the only gold sinks in the game, and that given that there will be an item reskinning function this could be another path for gold sinks.

The AH will have a very brisk trade in crafting materials just like every other MMO out there.

Also, you have to keep in mind, that the CREDD system and its gold value is going to be limited by the number of players buying and selling CREDD.
  9. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

chances are its just mediocre gear from faction/Rep vendors perhaps mounts and vanity items of that nature maybe a couple of very good items from crafting on the AH I highly doubt it would be anything BIS since that would most likely come from the dungeons/raids and other content

people might be able to buy a leg up with the gold made from selling CREDD but it wont be anything massive im sure after all its only meant for people without a lot of time but with alot of desposible income to help them maintain progress with the content available to them as far as I can see there is really nothing to worry about I think but I guess we will have to see how it is ingame I guess ;)
  10. Devisi

Devisi New Cupcake

This business model works great in a game called "Dofus" (it is 100% the same). Ofc there are people who spent a couple of 100€ to buy ingame money with that system and are able gather quite a good equipment. Still... those are just a few and most of the other players could gather the exact same equipment without spending even one single cent. I can't imagen that there will be people who spent enugh money to buy EVERYTHING out of the ah just to bully others ;).

But when somebody is trying to do that it is still positiv for all the other players, since they can buy cheap CREDD because of the giant amount of offers:up:.

P.S. Sorry for my horrible english :(
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

No, they won't be able to buy the BEST items in the game. Those will come from Raids, Warplots, SoloContent (which will give best gear for solo players), etc. Will they be able to buy good items? Most likely, yes, but not the BEST items.
    FlamingRuby and Livnthedream like this.
  12. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

Except that he did not say:
    With only "stat-based items" as subject of sentence, and grey part completly ignored. What he said is:

Whole "stat-based items you can buy directly for gold via a vendor" is subject, and that sentence speaks only about this kind of gear, gear with stats that is bought from vendor, most of it if not all is also locked behind something other than gold.
    Meaning - you can have tons of gold, buy without doing mechanics (like reputation farm) you won't be able to buy any stat-based gear from vendor.
    Kallor, Arsonist and Kataryna like this.
  13. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

Yea basically you misread the quote. You read it as saying that almost all gear will be purchasable with gold. What it's saying is that most gear "that can be purchased with gold" will also require something else to get it, such as rep.
    Doomhaus and Kataryna like this.
  14. Brynnevere

Brynnevere Cupcake

Like what most people are saying, most best-in-slot gear will likely be bind-on-pick-up or gated, so no amount of gold will be able to buy you a full set of "epics." Even if you do buy this gear, it will be gated through some other mechanism like rep or raid/heroic tokens, so you won't be buying it from other players for gold. Now there might be a few BiS pre-raid items that are bind-on-equip and thus available to buy, but I bet Carbine will keep those to a minimum.

WildStar isn't going to be another GW2 where you could buy absolutely everything. Of course, WildStar is also going to have an actual end-game too.
    FlamingRuby likes this.
  15. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

Yes, those people with disposable income will be able to buy up all of the best items on the auction house and even turn right around and flip them for a higher price. They will also control the amount of gold needed to purchase a C.R.E.D.D.

I have witnessed this happen in EverQuest and EverQuest II and expect the same exact thing to happen in WildStar. In EverQuest I & II the equivalent to the C.R.E.D.D. is known as a Krono.

If you are serious about WildStar after your free 30 days runs out, I would suggest buying a 1-year subscription to save some money and enjoy the game without using the Auction House as much as possible.

The ability to spend real life money to gain an advantage will always present problems within the economy of an online game.

I would much rather Carbine ditch the C.R.E.D.D. altogether but because of 3rd party websites that will inevitably sell currency for WildStar, I see why they chose to provide the safer method of players buying in-game currency this way.

EDIT: No, you will not be able to buy the best items in the game, just the best items in the Auction House.
  16. Kytty

Kytty Cupcake-About-Town

Its not different to people who are great at farming gold, they usually control the auction house anyway. The CREDD system (or similar) works well in other games like EVE so I cant see that anyone will get an unfair advantage. Especially as this is not a purely PVP game so its not pay to win.

Its more if people want to buy CREDD to sell to other who cant necessarily afford a subscription ( and yes there are people out there who are on a pretty tight budget), this gives the buyers the opportunity to "play for free" while the people selling the CREDD get some extra shiny gold. They can then spend on the auction house keeping the economy flowing or spending on massive money sinks like housing which also keeps the economy healthy by not having stupid amounts of gold flowing around in players pockets further pushing the auction house prices to ridiculous levels

Edited for insane morning brain spelling ... why cant the morning start later .... like around lunch time, that'd be great thanks
  17. Medik

Medik New Cupcake

N0t 100% sure on how the system works, but i'm assuming it will be like this; Player can buy the credd and sell it for gold. Once he has that gold the only thing he can buy with it would be either non-top end gear from a vendor, or items from the AH. So they would not be able to get the best of the best from their gold. They would be stuck behind walls such as Rep or Raid tokens etc. My one issue is crafting mats. Hopefully there will be some soulbound mats that only drop in the raids or dungeons, so they have to at least work for some of the mats.
  18. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

Still confused. lol.

Lets say umm materials. I am assuming material AH trade will be very important and some materials will be rare and made to make epic loots. correct?

Someone will essentially be able to get a huge advantage by spending a bunch of money on credd turning it into gold and buying all the rare mats they need to make any items they want. Or is it like the guy said that "gold wont buy power" So which is it? gold wont buy mats or are mats useless? or mats will be for cosmetic stuff only? hope that makes sense thanks.
  19. Medik

Medik New Cupcake

I'd hope the system would be like Wow, were the best of the crafted items require some mats that are soulbound from raids/dungeons.
    Arsonist likes this.
  20. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

The exact details haven't been given to us, but yes, at some level, people who spend money on CREDD are going to be able to get some level of an advantage. That advantage might be restricted to purely cosmetic items or it might go all the way to some useful gear. We just don't know. Carbine hasn't given us enough info to get a clear picture on the whole situation. We know some vendors will have requirements beyond cost, like rep and stuff. We know that some gear will come from endgame content. We know some gear will be bound to our characters, but some will not. We know there will be player crafted goods that can be traded. But we don't know how all of that will interact. We don't know the limits of what's available with just straight gold.

But one thing is completely sure. Whether it's done by Carbine, or it's done by Chinese gold farmers, people will be trading cash for gold and getting some level of edge from it.