1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Credd to gold. Buy everything?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Arsonist, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

You really don't tackle gold sellers. Anybody with a bank account can offer to sell gold, and Carbine unfortunately does not have an endless army of robots to patrol the servers 24/7 in order to ban all gold sellers.

The CREDD system is the best thing they could do really. I mean, isn't it better to have a quiet, legal system rather than hundreds and hundreds of Chinese gold farmers and bots spamming the world chat so much you can't see anything?

And I don't see how it's Pay to Win at all if the better items are not sellable. It's just not pay to win if you can't actually PAY to WIN. Because you can't pay money in order to win. So it's not pay to win. Yeah.

I guess you could technically "pay to win" to have a badass house faster than anyone else. But having a badass house doesn't actually win you anything. And everyone who doesn't pay will catch up pretty soon anyway.
  2. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe having a badass house is the most important thing to some players. Not every person plays for the same accomplishments.
  3. Vermana

This is an MMORPG; housing isn't its main attraction. If housing is the most important thing for some people and they want the game balanced around it, maybe they should play Animal Crossing instead?
  4. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Wonderful marketing strategy you have there.
  5. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

I rather them try to "tackle" the gold sellers in a way that blizzard does. This was asked earlier in a thread but why can't they have a gm on every server 24/7 or a few gm's that run multiple servers fighting gold sellers bots and hacks? It doesn't need a endless army of robots. Other games do this with no problems so i dont see the cost effectiveness argument.

Lets be bluntly honest. This is only for 2 reasons and they have nothing to do with us the gamers.
    First it saves them money from not trying to police all the bots. Then they make money off of the gold that people sell.

Someone is going to chime in here and say who says they dont police bots/hacks well I bet my left nut that this game will be just like Gw2 with no gm's a /report system and NCsoft universal support. I would love to be wrong. NCsoft suits OP.
  6. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

would you rather the money go into the dev's hands? or the farmer's hands?

pick your poison
  7. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Farmers buy the game, too...
    Blizzard only started seriously tackling farmers when players actually started leaving the game because of them. Up until then, it's just more paying customers.
  8. Zenatsu

I request sources that players started leaving because of "farmers" and also would request sources that blizzard actively/inactively increased GM workflow in correlation from active gold selling spikes.
  9. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

Translation: "Hi, my name is Vermana, and I have no idea what I'm talking about. Here, let me demonstrate by vomiting up this completely nonsensical, erroneous, and ignorant statement. See, what did I tell you?"
  10. Vermana

Carbine needs to make money. Making a game like this is not free; Carbine is not a massive organization. They need to make something off this.

Cute. Did you catch the "balance the game around it" part? Because I love housing to death. I think it's great. But I do NOT think that just because some people are unsatisfied that they can't pimp their house as fast as those that spend real money, that Carbine should completely revamp their marketing system to cater to a small minority.

This game is not "Housingstar"; you will not spend the majority of you time in your house, because you will never advance through the game that way! You're welcome to stay under level 10 and never leave your house, but I guarantee most players wont be doing that.
  11. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

It's called common sense.

And my point being that just relying on the CREDD system as an anti-farmer, anti-bot mechanic and thus minizing GMs and other means by which to fight against gold sellers is a bad idea. You think there won't be gold sellers? Of course there will be. They'll just undercut the going price on CREDD. It costs $20, so gold sellers will charge $20 for slightly/moderately more gold (whatever players are willing to pay vs. the risk of buying from a gold seller) than what CREDD is being sold for in-game at any given time. It doesn't eliminate gold selling. It just helps set the price for gold sellers. They'll just offer you more gold than what CREDD is selling for currently. And if Carbine is simply relying on this system to eliminate gold selling, they won't police actual illegal practices very well and it'll be rampant.
    Arsonist likes this.
  12. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

Do you really think Carbine is just going to ditch GM/CS monitoring of their game because they have the CREDD system? Because it sounds like that is what you're implying, and that's just plain silly. They are obviously hopeful that the CREDD system will put a damper on gold sellers, but you can't seriously believe they are so naive as to think that will be enough.
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. Zenatsu

Common sense dose not cover what you are even implying (which Goat pretty much pointed out). Without paraphrasing what Goat said, unless you have data and proof that blizzard increased GM productivity as a result of players leaving to the result of increased gold farmers. You have nothing more then an empty opinion.

In fact, there was a time where blizzard laid off more then 600[1] CS employees, around early 2012. Is that really increasing the presence of GM's?

[1] http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/600-culled/
  14. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Dude, 2012? I'm talking about 2004-2007ish. If you had actually played during that time you'd know what I'm saying is truth. If you knew people who bought gold you'd know they didn't give a <REDACTED> if they got caught 'cause they were never punished (sellers were, buyers weren't). If you read the forums back then you'd remember a huge backlash, people threatening to leave. And suddenly Blizzard cracks down hard on gold sellers. You started hearing about massive bans. Those friends who used to buy gold now are hesitant to do so again. Nowadays Blizzard has for the most part eliminated gold selling by making gold so ridiculously easy to get there's no need to buy it. So that's one method to fight gold sellers, I suppose.

Right now gold selling companies are looking at this game and devising strategies to exploit the system. And they'll come up with methods Carbine won't have imagined.
  15. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

Yeah I kind of do. Until otherwise told i believe they will be using the same system GW2 uses.
  16. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

That's funny, because in the last 36 hours, in WoW I've received in game spam for gold selling sites four times. And I know two people who in the last month have spent about $100 dollars on gold between them.

Now, I will admit that this is all purely anecdotal, but in my experience, it looks like Blizz has NOT for the most part eliminated gold sellers.

Arsonist, I thought I was pretty cynical about MMO developers, but damn... Guess I'm a raving fanboy for thinking a studio wouldn't shoot itself in the foot when it comes to their income.
  17. Zenatsu

Buyers were punished too dude. They got a suspension as well has the amount of gold traded emptied (so if you traded 10k, they wiped out 10k)

and I did play back then, I started playing when maradon came out. But How was I supposed to know you were talking about "back in 2004 - 2007" when I asked for sources of your claims, and you came back with some bull<REDACTED> to avoid sourcing.

Once again, if you cannot provide solid evidence between the correlation of GM activity with Gold selling activity, back in '04 - '07 (since that's the time frame of your reference). You are doing nothing more then stating opinions, and calling them facts.

I know gold sellers are a problem, and I know the battle is still at large and has not been won (they still exist, and they still do their dirty deeds). But Blizzard didn't loose a large portion of their player base due to gold sellers. At least not the sole reason. Back then, Gold sellers were in more games then WoW, and they still are in other games to this day. Which is why devs are looking into ways to thwarp them.

CREDD won't stop sellers. It will only encourage their behavior and play the market as a system to generate more gold. While they steal accounts, and farm mats to once again, sell on the market.

Watch this. They do more then just play the market. They will even use CREDD to their advantage.

*note: believe it, or don't. I care not.
  18. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Has Carbine said that they will only be relying on the Credd system to fight farmers and bots? Aside from "maximizing" GM's [whatever that means], what are the "other means" you are referring to, and if Carbine employed these other means, are you saying they would be successful in defeating farmers and bots?
    Are you looking for the illusion of no farmers and bots in the game by simply removing chat advertisements? If you don't see them, they don't exist, and nobody is buying gold, ya?
  19. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

I guess mileages vary. I have not seen a single gold advertisement since Cataclysm. Though admittedly I haven't played a great deal during those years.

I knew a lot of hardcore raiders in Vanilla and TBC, and literally every single one of them bought gold. That's just how it was back then: if you raided, you had to buy gold. Especially in TBC. Anyone who was a blacksmith in that time knows what I mean. And many of them were caught at various times. While the gold they bought was taken away, no one ever got banned....until later on. Things did change, as I said, when Blizzard foresaw negative consequences of letting gold selling get out of control. You could say it just took the company a while to find ways in which to track and punish gold sellers. There's obvious truth in that. But the fact remains if people could get away with it, few have a moral problem doing it.

As far as Carbine relying on this system to deter gold sellers at the cost of GMs and other means...someone else mentioned GW2. That has left a very sour taste in my mouth. If their gem store system was an attempt to curb gold sellers, well, they failed miserably. And their lack of GMs seems to point to them having too much confidence that they won't need that kind of policing and moderation. Since this game is by the same publisher, is it really that crazy of a thought to have?
    Arsonist likes this.
  20. Zenatsu

Now, I could be wrong, but I think the area for GM's comes from the Dev company, and not the publisher?

The publisher handles distributions and is in a way a heavy investor in the development. So CS goes from both NCSoft -and- Carbine.

and since carbine has a community manager(s) I feel they would also employ their own set of GM's. But I don;t know how that all operates under the hood.

but no, its not a crazy thought to have.
    Kataryna likes this.