1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Credd to gold. Buy everything?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Arsonist, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> Getting awfully heated in here people. Remember everyone enjoys different aspects of a game in their own way. Anyhoo, drop the hostile rhetoric, I don't want to have to spend my day locking threads! </Mod Face>
  2. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Got no time to participate this conversation right now in depth, but I have to note that Gold Selling in WoW very much so exists but it is most vocal on bigger realms.
  3. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

You don't want to get involved in this pissing contest. XD
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I actually had a gold farmer in my guild during Vanilla WoW - he was a very nice, cool guy, lived in Philippines or somewhere like that. Reason he turned to gold farming was because there were "very bad people" that would do "very bad things" to his family if he didn't farm a certain amount per day. (at least this is what he said) He was assigned a zone and HAD to farm that zone, no where else. He could go to IF every so often to sell his drops. If he was caught outside his zone before he'd acquired the amount of gold required that day he would get in trouble. So, he did get to go on a few dungeon runs, but was always very cautious about when he'd go with us, and wouldn't take any BoE items because he'd be required to sell them instead of use them. He finally paid off his family's debt and got himself his own account, but didn't stay on the game for long after - too expensive for him.
  5. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

Carbine is a subsidiary of Ncsoft. They have more in the pot then people here are lead to think. It cracks me up when people are like Oh but NCsoft has no say....really. You think a company that owns 50% of a another company is not going to have any say in anything with tons of $$$ in the pot? Just like NCsoft had no impact on ANet huh?
  6. Cesmode

Cesmode Cupcake-About-Town

I just hope that with this being a sub based game, everything is given to us up front. I dont want to have to some how buy extra bank space.
  7. Infamouz

I think you have misunderstood C.R.E.D.D system.
  8. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Alright, well like I said I haven't been active in the game in many years, and when I do play these days it's on a rather dead server. I'll take your guys' word for it.
  9. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

it will ,but it wont be the best gear so its not pay2win
  10. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

I know publishers are basically large investers. but you quoted me and didn't even touch on the point I was saying and asking.

Will it be NCsoft that handles the GM's? Will it be Carbine, or will it be both?
  11. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

Really? I seem to distinctly recall them saying that some of the best gear will be craftable; they're going for a mix of sources for BiS stuff.
  12. Infamouz

Because craftable automatically means BoE in both, material and the resulting item..
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Craftable is 90% BoE yes. The item to make it, maybe not.

Would have to make recipe BoP i guess, and everyone can craft it.
  14. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

Nobody knows for sure. A post made earlier left it up in the air and iffy. If you look back in the thread you will see what I am talking about.
  15. Infamouz

I more so meant, that if something is craftable it does not automatically mean the particular item has to be BoE especially if it is those BIS items. Look at WoW blacksmithing, it has been several occasions when the best craftable items were bind on pickup.
    Of course crafted items have to mostly be BOE, so you can actually sell your product. Grim Fandango was talking about Best in Slot items thou, and those have often been BOP in WoW, and needless to say this is Wildstar not WoW so what has been a rule in WoW can be broken in this particular game.
  16. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Cant say, didnt play WoW that much. Havent seen to many other mmorpgs with BoP crafting.
    Then again, if the recipe is tradable, its same <REDACTED>.

The recipe and item have to be BoP imo, both should be hard to find and only dropped in raids aswell.
  17. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

It is P2W just to a lesser extent. Like in WoW. By going with WoW example, I had to grind for quite a long time for a Soul Blade (raiding sword) but the same time it had BoE version which could be bought from AH. I think that items of this quality which requires long grind with huge groups should only be BoP, especially raid items in W* where you need at least 20ppl playing together. Consumables are ok and similar stuff which are boring to grind for and you usually grind them just so you have all the healing potions so you can raid (do gear grinds).
  18. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

The system does allow you to skip certain hurdles, that is the truth of it. For example where you might of had to grind cash to get something crafted or to buy a crafted set off the AH, you can now C.R.E.D.D in and buy that set. However, I would argue that it's not making the game P2W at all, if you suck then you're still going to suck in great gear, it'll just be really noticeable. At the same time you can't use money to extend your power beyond that of gear, which is available to everyone else without crazy requirements that come with P2W games. Finally P2W games ALL come with boosters, XP, Speed, Damage etc that require real money to buy and that is the true imbalance of games with stores.
    Kataryna likes this.
  19. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

That's all fine and dandy but why do you compare the "unskilled premium subscriber (sub+gold from CREDD)" (gross generalization to prove a point, I'm not implying any kind of causation) with the "skilled base subscriber"? (also a generalization)
    Skill, time commitment and focus being equal or within a small margin, will the premium subscriber have a progression advantage over base subscription?
    Will they get things done faster? easier? be prepared for new challenges quicker? Will having good pre-raid gear, equipping Alts faster give you a leg up when applying to a guild?

Absolutely yes or there is no point in having CREDD in the first place. It is only desirable to buy if - through gold - it does give players an advantage in their respective bracket.
    "I can't buy a BIG RED BUTTON saying "WIN" on it with $ (let alone mmorpgs you never finish them/win by design) so my favorite game is not P2W"
  20. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

If you allow different definitions of P2W, then everything can be considered P2W, by rule of "advantage gained by spending real money". In discussion on same topic I saw some time ago, there were tons of weird examples of 'their opinion' P2W. Vanity items - win in looks. Services like race change, name change, server transfer - you gain something from them, ergo win. Game is F2P with optional subscription giving some advantages - subscription is P2W. Someone has bigger screen/faster pc/mmo mouse - pure P2W.

So it would be best if everyone stuck to standard 'hard' definition, where P2W means that with money you can buy advantage over other players that is unobtainable otherwise. Alas, people will never agree to single definition, and without it whole discussion is more or less pointless.

There is also point of view where allowing people to reduce their grind in game in any way by spending real money is P2W. If someone shares this view, then I have bad news for you - Carbine considers it (in regards of gold) as one of selling points of their business model, hopes for such people, and game will be P2W.
    Obviously, this kind of thing can enter into specific P2W/pseudosubscription where game without buying those grind-reducers is unbearable(kill 10 boars, or unless you pay n$, kill 1000 boars), but that is not the case with Wildstar. Gold from CREDD is limited and comes from players, so game has to be fully playable and enjoyable without buying "grind-reducer" in form of CREDD.
    Kataryna likes this.