1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Cross server dungeon finder confirmed

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Loveless

Loveless Cupcake

That actually wouldn't be too bad. The easy stuff would remain easy, and the harder stuff will require a bit more tactics than the sound of one's face being slammed upon keys.
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Also a thought occurs - if the purpose is simply to have a bigger pool of people to meet up with for content... why does the matchmaking have to be automated?
    • Hit Dungeon Finder
    • Choose your role and grouping preference (Same Server/Cross-Realm)
    • Get dropped into a Lobby interface (either Cross-Realm or Same Server Lobby)
    • X amount of time passes to allow for full/partial groups to form from the chat
      • This spawns group chat as part of the same interface
      • Previously flagged players (i.e. you flagged them as preferential or friended them) appear in a user list in lobby
    • Timer expires and groups are fleshed out with remaining solo players
    • Groups are then locked into the Group Chat part of the interface for X amount of time or until all players confirm readiness
      • A player can drop back out of the group to Lobby to wait for the next timer to expire
    What are your thoughts/improvements/suggestions on this sort of system?
  3. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

/crossfingers

I actually don't mind both as can get the benefits of quick grouping on alts after most of the pop has outlevelled content, yet stick with the server community for stuff on the main or groups where you prefer a higher chance of a positive experience.
  4. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

I actually thought that there would be no way that they would not go with a cross-realm looking for group tool.

I have got to be honest I have never understood what the big issue was with it, but I am one of those people that prefers that everyone is silent during an instance run (it meant that everything went fine).

You already have a community of like minded individuals on this forum - would it not be possible to come together and join the same server and make a server wide policy of not using the group finder? Does Carbine have to provide you with this feature or is it something that you can pull off yourself?

Another thing is if dungeons are really hard will more communication be required? Does it matter that it is random people in the same server or random people from other servers? If there is an easy and anonymous way of adding people from other servers I think it will not matter.

I understand that many people want there to be harder content and the fear is that by having a cross realm instance finder that this is gong to lower the difficulty. I don't know if that is necessarily true. I am not sure that both are entirely related.

My question that comes out of this is this: what as a percentage of players do you feel should be able to complete "standard" instance?
  5. John

John "That" Cupcake

I think the reason they wouldn't do "Home only" option (as much as I would like it) is because it defeats the purpose of what a cross server group finder is. The whole point of them is to create a large pool of players to speed up the grouping process, if that pool is reduced (and it would probably be reduced a great deal because many players would choose 'home only') then the purpose is defeated.

I wouldn't mind a being servers being put into clusters, and instead of a automated tool you get a list of players from those 3-4 servers who are want the same content as you. You could manually invite and create the group yourself. The benefit of this would be getting to actually see players before you group with them, meaning your reputation in groups would still matter.

I interpret silence as, "this means the content is so easy there is no need to communicate."

After typing that I came to the realization...I wonder if telegraph's purpose is to replace actual talking in groups?
    Mudfin likes this.
  6. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I'm also a bit disappointed by the announcement, I really like Zap's ideas in this thread to hopefully alleviate some of the concerns many of us have. Anything that lets us keep things within the server would be highly appreciated, especially after all the official and unofficial discussions on server communities we've had.
  7. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

I can't see anyone really utilizing a "Home Server Only" option. Most players tend to gravitate towards "paths of least resistance". Why would a player subject him or herself to a longer waiting period by click "Home Server Only", when he or she could instead click "ALL SERVERS" and find a group in less than a minute?

Many of us might like using the "Home Server Only" option; however, the WSC community, realistically, is only going to be an exceedingly small portion of the total player base. Most players, unfortunately, will want a quick "get in, get out" dungeon scenario; that will affect players who want a more social, server-oriented experience, greatly.

Edit for clarification: When I say, "Most players, unfortunately, will want a quick "get in, get out" dungeon scenario; that will affect players who want a more social, server-oriented experience, greatly." I mean "most players" as in the mainstream MMO audience who has grown overly accustomed to having anything and everything handed to them on a silver platter with little-to-no effort. These are the kind of players who want everything to go as quickly as humanly possible and want to be rewarded greatly for doing so.
  8. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

They could put an ignore list too, so if you're grouped with a douche you could ignore him for the next time. But all in all I don't like this at all.
  9. Dragnog

I like the idea as I have previously suggested something similar.

I think that maybe a more granulated system would be nice to allow people to have even more discernment on who they play with, like a star system that is personal to you rather than a public system. I think it would be nice if you could also set what loot rules were in place and percentage of drops from group were acceptable.

In regards to keeping it in server I don't see why there could not be a check box, "only within server" with a warning message that time to find a group will be dramatically increased.

More choice seems to be better in this case so that you can find the type of people that you would like to run with.
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  10. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I agree but sadly in many cases we don't get those options, hopefully WildStar will be different in that regard.
  11. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

I am not fond of your "Home Server Only" idea, but I do like this idea, a lot. It reminds me of a more social oriented "Burning Crusade-esque" dungeon finder tool.
  12. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Well, this is my first big disappointment regarding WildStar. After all the talk about having server communities and forums, I thought they were focusing on building up smaller communities within the meta community that over-arched the game. Now, I don't have proof that Cross Server LFG tools hurt the community, just circumstantial evidence, but I know a lot of people who believe similar to me.

The only thing I can see to ever solve this debate is to have 2 different server types in the same game. Don't let a single server have access to the cross server LFG tool. I just want to see what the community is like a year into it. That would be the only way to make a scientific solution.

Personally I think there is a very delicate balance when adding a LFG that's not even a cross server LFG tool, and installing it without looking into the implications can lead to falling down a slippery slope.
    Yakzan, Mudfin, Black Wolf and 2 others like this.
  13. Dragnog

I don't think I have ever seen an MMORPG with these options in their group finder because most of the time they seem to have been tacked on at the end. I am sure by now that Carbine is well aware of how much of a thorny issue it is.
  14. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

Thing is... most MMO's add on a dungeon finder post-launch or start with a dungeon-finder that's locked to single server then over time open it up to multiple servers.

Carbine is going with a cross-server dungeon finder right out of the gate when WildStar launches. I'm hesitant due to how cross-server can affect a server community but I'd like to see Carbine elaborate more on how it works (is it like Rift/WoW or something totally different) before making any final decision about it.

Edit > Also... Carbine didn't really go into detail of what kind of LFG tool this is. Is it one where it matches you with a group then teleports everyone into the instance (hate these kind by the way) or is it one where it matches you with a group then everyone in the group runs to the dungeon?
  15. Dragnog

Is it big enough issue to make this a reality? Are there enough people that feel strongly enough about it to make it an option at launch? I mean we already have PvP, RP and PvE could you have a 4th server type of Social?
  16. Amlin

Amlin Cupcake

For me this is good news, I'm far more interested in playing the game than frittering my time away spamming a chat with "LFM 1 Heal", yes that is indeed the pinnacle of meaningful social interaction.
  17. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Yeah it's rare but I have seen a couple lobby based systems before which seemed to work well enough.
  18. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I don't know if this is feasible or not, it's more of a pipedream for experiment sake

I'm glad that other people are happy about this since I know you can't please everyone. However, comments like your last sentence, "yes that is indeed the pinnacle of meaningful social interaction" do nothing except incite a flame war since you're taking a specific scenario and applying it across every single time someone is looking for a dungeon. If you have constructive reasons for why a x-server LFG tool is better than having a single server LFG tool, I would love to hear them
    MeakGG likes this.
  19. Amlin

Amlin Cupcake

You are completely putting words into my mouth, never did I imply x-server is better than single server. Hell I never even intended to insert myself into that debate in the first place even after I read past it. I'm just baffled at the hostility about x-server LFG all the time. It's one of the best tools to ever be introduced to the genre in my opinion.
  20. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

A lot more social than pressing a button, portaling to a dungeon, running it in silence, then rinse and repeat. But, to each their own.