1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Cross server dungeon finder confirmed

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

How did that not just turn into a laggy lights show zergfest? :B
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I'm not creative, at all. I couldn't create my way out of a paper bag. I leave that up to those making the game and those who are creative.

My only concern with the ideas that are being presented here concerning reputation are that it still doesn't matter. It seems artificial. My reputation and yours on our individual server should mean something. It needs to have purpose, it needs to be earned and developed. This can only happen thru consistent interaction.

So what is the result of an MVP vote, or a positive/negative rating? Not, what do I win, but rather how does it affect me and you? If i get a series of negatives will I go on an ignore list? If I have a number of positives do I move up in the queue? If I have a number of MVPs from you are you automatically grouped with me? There has to be consequence, good and bad, as a result of my reputation and it needs to be real.

And before someone comes in and says, "well you can do that through other means than dungeon groups". I have stated that until i see and participate in a better way to me there is no better way than dungeon running.

Anywho, I'm starting to make my sig seem very true ;)!

See ya!
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I guess my original suggestion to "fix" things got buried in the mix :)

Yakzan, 3seed and Joukehainen like this.
  4. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Initially it kinda was but most knew to turn the settings down through a few raid warnings. As the match went on, little pockets of fighting got more spread out so it was actually ok in the end. Around 15fps IIRC.
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I'm not sure how, but Sibcoe did make me rethink over the things Carbine has shared with us in this Reddit AMA. Particularly about the cross-realm Dungeon Finder.

The timestamp thingy doesn't work here, but the x-server part starts at 15:16.

6. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Omggg guys check the reply from Carbine!

"While I don't want to get into details this early in our discussions (you know how things change), I will say that after reading your post, I'm sweeping my office for bugs."
    Yakzan and Kurik Lein like this.
  7. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I said earlier that it's up to Carbine to convince me (and others of course) how they think a cross-server tool would work.

In the AMAA, Troy (Aether) stood up to ask the Social Team about my question regarding the anonymity problem. That says a lot to me and he said the team is aware of the problem. After reading Aether's answer on Joukehainen question I actually believe it could be okay to have a cross-server tool in the game. It seems they understand the issues with it. And knowing Carbine, if there is an issue, they will come up with a solution.
    Joukehainen and Yakzan like this.
  8. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

That's awesome, thanks for the link! :)
    Joukehainen likes this.
  9. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

And related to that, I found this response to JarNod's suggestion in this thread that I forced him to toss over to reddit as well. This has helped a lot in soothing my nerves seeing Carbine recognize what an important topic this is, along with the efforts being made in finding good solutions.
  10. John

John "That" Cupcake

My fear with the "check box for home server only" option is that if say half the players use it and half don't, you wind up with an even worse scenario where the community is still fractured, and your cutting the pool of potential home-server partners in half for the players who check the box, making grouping that much more difficult for them.

The more I think about it I wonder if they would use a system where certain servers use the xrealm tool and others don't. Get all the like minded people on a few specific servers and let them have the community they like while the people who don't care about that can be on xrealm servers. Then again in that scenario you might run into dungeon balance issues...arg :eek:
  11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Balance issues? What has that to do with it? Maybe I just misunderstand your point, so can you explain?
  12. John

John "That" Cupcake

Going back to the whole debate about 'xrealm LFG = easy content'.
  13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Ah right, of course. Good point. It all depends on how important the dungeons will be in terms of content. If they are as important as in WoW, like being a stepping stone for harder content, then yes. But if dungeons are just a extra and optional step to continue lore, then it won't be an issue I think.
  14. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

The only thing that would make me sanguine about the idea of XLFD is if the designers stick to their idea of dungeon difficulty.

Back when SWTOR was in beta, people were complaining about being unable to Force Leap at Imperial Agents/Smugglers in cover. The devs replied with a long description of PvP balance and what would happen if this mechanic wasn't in place. It pretty much boiled down to "working as intended, L2P." That gave me hope that the game wouldn't end up like it actually did.

We all know that XLFD will prompt cries of "but it's too HAAAAAAARD!" It happens; players are whiny little snots. (Note: I,too, am a player.) The question is whether the devs will cave. That, unfortunately, can't be answered in an AMAA, forum post, or tweet. I choose to be an optimist. If that optimism fails, oh, well. I'll enjoy the game for what it is for as long as I enjoy it, then move on. Tis only a game.
  15. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

I just finished my first ever podcast.. and surprisingly.. it's on this issue.

Enjoy! :3
    cali, Bellaby and Black Wolf like this.
  16. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

This is not always true. Tera has X-LFG even with its most difficult content. Some of which is still only being cleared by a few groups, months after its release. X-LFG has nothing to do with difficulty of content. That is a pure developer decision.

LFG feels like the scapegoat for problems a game ever has anymore... when 9 times out of 10 its a developer decision to change something not even related to LFG tool.
    • X-LFG ruined the community - Designer adds no reason for community bonding
    • X-LFG ruined dungeon difficulty - Designers decided people who are actually still struggling in the dungeon need help those who are already doing fine will continue to do well.
    • X-LFG ruined _______ - Designer decided ______ was better for the game
    I mean I understand all the complaints, and why some may dislike the LFG tool, but it just seems so counter productive. LFG tools better the game for a mass majority or they wouldn't be so popular in mmos. I could understand arguing against them when they were first introduced but by now it almost seems like beating a dead horse. This discussion comes around at every single mmo release since the LFG tools first integration.

We could be spending our time chatting about some of the amazing things the developers could do to help make the LFG tool better. I do like the idea of the [x] box for server only queing, giving the player the option. You could even add an incentive to this by adding a bonus for doing so. Just so many other ways to encourage a good reputation and better player to player interactions. Ways to make the community bond other then destroying a tool that so many use/enjoy.
  17. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Maybe there'll be an option to toggle between X-server and Local Server...
  18. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

I liked the podcast a lot, the only problem I saw with it was, that "Cross-Realm" wasn't mentioned, which seems to be the real question about it, the most recent youtube comment also just talks of "LFG function" not regarding the "Cross-Realm" component, which I think is what we feel damages the community. Good podcast though. :)
  19. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Right, but some people feel even having that option will shard the community. The way I see it, there are pros and cons for each side. But I am beginning to feel Carbine's decision will be the better option. I've always cared for community in MMOs, and I did not need dungeons to partake in one.
    Bellaby likes this.
  20. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

One of the issues that a cross-server, auto-matching, LFG dungeon tool is trying to solve (maybe the only issue, actually) is making sure there are enough players available at any moment to have a reasonably short wait time to play certain group content.

This sort of jumps off of the accessibility thread, but I thought it fit better here. So not only are we dealing with players being able to do the content at all, but now we're also trying to reconcile it with "whenever they want."

For group content, I actually think it's ok to not be able to do it whenever you have time. It should be when your group has collective time. This assures the content itself can be designed in a way that it can be all it can be.

So, I'm actually ok with group content being something you have to plan ahead for, not unlike poker night or your bowling league. I think trying to facilitate it "just-in-time" is contributing to the problem. Certainly this is visible with WoW's LFR, as an extreme example of how low the content quality bar has to be set for running a raid on a moments notice. But to a lesser degree, it will affect all group content of all sizes to some extent.

As I've mentioned earlier, instead of developers spending time trying to facilitate this mentality of "single player wants to play group content on a moment's notice", focus on social systems and tools that help players build permanent friendships. Not that players *can't* do that themselves, but there are ways to help it along.

If players go into their gaming night with a pre-existing list of friends or their guild available, their experience will be better and all the content in the game will be better for it!
    John, Black Wolf, Yakzan and 2 others like this.