1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Cross server dungeon finder confirmed

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

Foxgloves I get what your saying. I'm a pro-cross server person so just trying to find something that best fits everyone. I'd wait a few secs longer if it makes everyone happy.
  2. Foxgloves

Foxgloves Cupcake

That's admirable, lol. Better person than I. I just figured what makes everyone happy is to let everyone have their cake and eat it too. If you can select whether you want same server or cross server it makes it so that you can choose speed or server community as a priority.

It's interesting to note however, that games continue to use segregated server philosophies instead of the mega serers we keep hearing about. Or at any rate, allowing full fleshed guesting features so that no matter what server you reside on you can be on someone else's for any group activity that you wish. These things might be more technically complicated than what we have currently, but seems like an area ripe for development in the genre.

Removing literal barriers from letting you make friends and do anything in the game with someone regardless of what server name they clicked on to first play the game seems like something that should have been accomplished years ago. Tin Foil Hat Fox says that companies like getting paid for server transfers...but I'd love to not be that cynical.
  3. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Unfortunately, guesting brings its own set of headaches.

I rolled on a low pop server in GW2, and a RP server at that. The community was good, the lag was minimal, and competition for mobs was fair. Then they added guesting.

Other servers quickly realized that servers like mine were unlikely to provide competition on world bosses, so about an hour before the dragon's spawn timer is up, the server slows to a crawl because EVERYONE from all the other servers shows up to smash our dragon. People who actually belong here have limited opportunity to actually get anything from our own worldboss because it's being "ninjaed" by off-server "guests."

That's an exploit. And we know Wildstar will have world bosses, so it's one that has to be solved before guesting can be implemented.
  4. Graff (FLB)

Graff (FLB) Cupcake-About-Town

Dont mean to sound like a wet blanket here, but Im all for LFD and LFR. Sad to say, the days of the MMO made for hardcore players is dying. More casual players are getting into the scene and acessability is the key. I know it would be a troll-sentric idea with a couple of face rolls, but honestly if you let that stuff get to you then I dunno what to make of that. Id gladly sit through a raid for 2 hours with trolls just to get some gear. The more things that are accessible to people, the more popular it becomes.
  5. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

I read every post here... took a couple hours, enjoyed it a lot.

I must say this is the FIRST thing I've read so far to give me that pit in my stomach. Everything was so great up until.... LFD. I don't understand what the big deal is about finding time to find a dungeon. Why do we have to be able to do 50 dungeons a day if we wanted. Shouldn't it be exciting, challenging, and therefor rewarding? I go to school full time, work full time, live with my girlfriend, and play in a band. I have NO PROBLEM waiting to find a group on my server to complete something, or attempt in some cases. It's not EVER the success... it's ALWAYS the journey.

At the same time, I completely understand that some people have different schedules, children, parents who disable internet post 10pm and such... so for you guys who want to be instantly teleported to a dungeon, to clear it with little to no communication in 20 minutes, to rinse and repeat until you get the blue, never to come back to it again, all in a matter of 2 hours... i get it. I just feel like dungeons become things of the past too fast with LFD. People run them quickly, get in them quickly, and repeat.

No more "oh man, that's Ra, he's like the sickest tank ever. Let's try to get him"

Doubtful I'd hear "Hey man, great job healing, you really kept up with those bad pulls I made. You looking for a guild?"

Or even "Nice dps man, take me to the dummies and show me your rotation, I must be doing something wrong and I'd love your help!"

It's just "Sup guys, I'm here to clear, and because I did the most DPS, and the only thing I came here for didn't drop, I'll roll on that last piece even though I already have/don't need it."

TL:DR, PLEASE Carbine... PLEASE make a couple servers with the PVE and PVP LFD OFF. At least to test what happens. I understand that games have become so simple, and people have become so busy, that rarely do we want to work for anything anymore, but there are still a couple huge losers out there like myself who enjoy LF1M, enjoy wiping in challenging dungeons making memories, and enjoy having a strong PVE community on my server.
    Lethality and azmundai like this.
  6. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

we should start a kickstarer so that we can bribe Carbine into releasing non-LFD servers. You think if we got a $100,000 that they would open a server for us? >.<
  7. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I honestly think that few people would take advantage of this if they did it, and most of the people asking for a non-LFG option would still be on the regular servers anyway because they'd be more populated. A server like this would probably start strong and loss people quickly to be honest. It seems like a case of the grass being greener on the other side.
  8. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

I respect your opinion, but I've got to say, I'd throw down some cash for LFG disabled server. I could easily see the LFG disabled server being the most populated, vibrant server of all. Maybe I'm jaded, but I feel like there are a decent amount of Vanilla WoW Vets, EQ Vets, and Old School SWG Vets who want that community love.
  9. azmundai

it was mostly a joke :) theres no way a kickstarter like that would work. you might be able to raise the money, but without Carbine coming out and saying they would do it if the money is raised, which I doubt they would ever do ... well you get the point.

and I agree ... 6 months after release, me and meak might be the only 2 ppl left >.<

really I would be ecstatic with the option to queue server only.
  10. Soylentgreen

Sorry with the recent Runescape nostalgia server it seemed like a valid suggestion, curse sarcasm and it's inability to convey itself in text very well
  11. azmundai

not sure what you are talking about with Runescape, but a new game like this has to have the image of being on top of things ... would look kinda bad for them to even do a kickstarter. the interwebz would be plagued with lol: carbine is running out of money .. etc. and things would just not play out well if their fans raised money and they didn't take the idea. they would probably have to step in and stop the kickstarter just on principle ..

no matter how I think about it, it would be a mess >.<
  12. John

John "That" Cupcake

That is a very debatable premise. In any case, the devs have already stated numerous times that raiding will not have a LFR tool and it will cater to the hardcore. So there is at least one game breaking the trend :)
    Kataryna and Gempulse like this.
  13. Soylentgreen

I was referring to Runescape starting a poll online to determine if players would like a server that was exactly like Runescape was in 2007 I think it was, they even said with enough interest they'd have customer support for it and not just have it up there... I believe the poll was successful, was pretty interesting.
  14. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

I think LFD is necessary in these days of mmorpg's, but what I absolutely hate and what caused the issues with it, is the cross-server. No need to even mention why. I personally absolutely hate how the cross server LFD has ruined the players ethics and standards, I'm sure that's the main reason a lot of people hate it. But don't hate LFD, hate cross-server LFD.
  15. Graff (FLB)

Graff (FLB) Cupcake-About-Town

Well unless I get into a quild that raids at leisure, no raids for me.
  16. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

I think people confuse Cross Realm LFG systems with easy mode instance grinding without having to leave capital cities. I don't think they are mutually exclusive. Yeah WoW made the game horrible after the current LFG system they enabled. But an easy solution would be to add a cross server queue station at the entrance of each dungeon. No capital camping and faster queues. As for Cross Realm creating an environment of no social accountability, I've always thought there should be a social rating for each player to police bad behaviors. This is one suggestion to create a healthier environment.
    Naunet and John like this.
  17. Rex Smashington

Rex Smashington Cupcake

All dungeons are face roll in every MMO. That's what heroics/hard modes are for. Doesn't mean there shouldn't be a LFD for the regular mode. And who cares if there is one for hard modes. People will stop using it when they realize they keep wiping from derps in their group.

And there is no LFR so again I could really care less.
  18. azmundai

that has only really been the case, since the invention of lfd came about. coincidence?
    people wiped in lvl 15 deadmines once upon a time. don't even get me started on Gnomeregan. Ulduman? Even the TBC dungeons were adequately difficult imo. Then came LK and I was clearing dungeons 3 levels above me. Then came lfd and my cat was tanking instances. ok fine my cat wasn't tanking instances .. but for the most part, it became a completely brain dead - face roll experience.
    John likes this.
  19. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I am sorry, but that sounds rather aweful to me.

I would no longer be able to be out in the world harvesting, doing pet battles, quests, dailies, decorating my house, checking new content, because I would be forced to sit outside a dungeon waiting at some queue up station? The only reason my char sits still while queued for dungeon if ever is if I need to put the laundry in the dryer in the next room or go fetch a drink.

Exactly in what way is that an improvement. It sounds no different than sitting in a city waiting for a queue to pop, even worse, because now I have a choice not to stay in city, which I vigilanty use, but if I am forced to sit outside a dungeon, the choice is taken from me. Even three times as bad if I am on a dps char, since queue time is usually way worse for them. I guess healers and tanks need not worry about the system you outline, since their group pop a lot faster no matter what tool they use, so their game session will not partially be wasted on just waiting in a spot.

I agree on the social rating part though the construction itself is a whole topic on its own.
    Soylentgreen likes this.
  20. Rex Smashington

Rex Smashington Cupcake

That's not because the dungeons were hard. It's because the players matured over the years and got better at the game. A 5 man will never be truly difficult unless you make it 1% content like raids. The difficulty of raids is only increased because there are so many more links in the chain waiting to break.

People have been honing their skills for almost a decade in WoW dungeon encounters. And before someone says WoW wasn't the first MMO. I know that. But it was the game changer as far as dungeon mechanics go. They were the first to make dungeons something deeper than a tank and spank and throwing all kinds of ridiculous mechanics at you.

Now you have a bunch of seasoned veterans that try out MMOs and burn through the content. Not because the new MMOs are easy. But because the people playing it are MMO vets.

I remember it being really hard to ride a bike when I was a small child... Get it?
    Vembumees likes this.