1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Cross server dungeon finder confirmed

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

JarNod, as much as I don't agree with the delivery Amlin makes a point.

If you have have ever played an mmo that lacks a X-LFG then you would know that a very large amount of time is spent in LFG fighting over the next persons text for that one role you need to fill in your group. Its frustrating and doesn't help server community at all.

I specifically state the fighting over that one person because its simple math, the more people in the pool the greater the chance the role your party is missing can be filled. Lower populated servers, curtain times of the day, and curtain roles are always fluctuating and can very from server to server.

Your server maybe over populated with DPS and finding a tank may take you to the point of giving up. Where if you increase your pool to draw from to all the servers the chances are there most likely is a tank out there to fill your need.

I know for many people this is a hard pill to swallow. LFG tools are here and they are not going anywhere, no matter how much you hate them and complain. LFG tools do not hurt server communities any more then spamming LFG ever did. If developers want server communities to be closer then they need to put in place and/or give a reason for them to take steps to get to know the other players on the server better. Making a guild ranking system, a player ranking system, open world pvp objectives, open world pve objectives, world trophies, weekend special events, etc. These are all things that can be done to make a server care more about itself.

People need to just move forward and instead of trying to stop progression, learn to work with and around the tool to make a better overall experience for everyone.
  2. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

While I still wouldn't want this gradual move to x-realm per se, it's still better than putting one out from launch.

For example, Rift (apologies if I only really reference Rift, never had much time for WoW)

Launch - No LFG; players are at the minimum gear level for the instance. General chat is spammed, group is formed and by hell or high water that dungeon is completed as theres no quick, anonymous alternative.

A few months down the line - Server based LFG is introduced. People rejoice, no more trade spam, dungeons still very likely to be completed by Tier 1 raid geared players. You also know the rep of the players/guilds you go in with. No significant dramas.

A year on - Cross realm LFG. Dungeons are now massively overgeared and have been significantly nerfed. Anyone can now jump in, get the daily done maybe even ask nicely for certain achievs. Not much communication is needed and is sometimes impossible as all EU servers are thrown together (English, German, French - I kid you not) If there are silly wipes or the group is unable to complete the dungeon in a swift time, very often there will be players throwing about insults and dropping group.

Expansion time - Cross realm LFG is still here but now we are faced with the gear reset, similar to the situation faced at launch. No sense of community, no patience, groups are wiping to genuine mechanics but due to the anonymous and zero reprecussion nature of X-server, groups often disband within sight of the first boss.

TLDR - Give us server restricted LFG to begin with, and really, really look at the pitfalls of going cross server in the future.
  3. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

I'd also like to note this attitude is yours personally, its a players choice to talk with their group and have social interaction. If you choose to be chatty or click and grind, that's your personal choice.
  4. John

John "That" Cupcake

I hear this argument a lot, it sounds good on paper but its just not reality. For me personally, I like to talk tactics, I don't really enjoy chit chat. I like to plan and strategize. LFD removes that because its very nature causes strategy to be largely non-existent.
    Mudfin likes this.
  5. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I apologize then. You said:
    in a thread about X-realm LFG tools so I naturally figured you were talking about the X-Realm LFG tool.
    John likes this.
  6. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I'm really interested why you think its the best thing ever.
  7. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I don't feel like cross-realm Dungeon Finder is gamebreaking, it just saves time for you. It's up to you if you want to be social or not. Instead of seeing people camping outside a dungeon entrance and spamming LFG and LFM, Dungeon Finder cuts through all the unpleasantness of mixing and matching. I would prefer if the Dungeon Finder tool prioritized same-server people to be grouped up, but if that's not going to happen then so be it. It does not change much about how I feel about WildStar.
  8. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Codswallop.

Spamming LFG = Clicking on a tab and reading. Group tends to be the most stable (joined my first raid guild as a result of LFG spam)

LFG tool = Clicking on a button and waiting for other people from your server to also do the same. Quicker than LFG spam and more or less the same result.

Cross Realm LFG = Much more chance of eejits who think they can get away with elitist comments, ninja looting and general bad behaviour. I will go out on a limb and say this is not an opinion. This is a fact.
  9. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I'm sorry but, no, not entirely. I try and talk and am ignored. So I don't choose to be quiet. I've also been told "let's not chat, let's just get it done."

I've always felt this was an over exaggeration.

I played EQ and yes it could take a while to get a group sometimes, on most occasions it wasn't that long based on your reputation. Good rep, pretty quick, bad rep not so fast...unknown yeah that could suck so make it count.

And what you call progression I call indulgence.
    Yakzan and Kataryna like this.
  10. JarNod

Thanks for looking out for me, I definitely read her post wrong!

I have played an MMO that had a regular LFG tool before switching to a cross-realm one. When I first started playing Rift, they had a single server LFG tool, and while I dislike the porting to instance, it wasn't a gamebreaker. When they implemented, x-realm I noticed the server community devolving some, and I quit soon after.

The problem with this debate is that the pro X-LFG tool players think we're progressing, while the others feel like we're taking a step back. I think it hurts server communities drastically to have them, which in my mind doesn't sound very progressive. But! That logic comes from the fundamental point of my own experience with the X-LFG tools, while someone else might love them because they have an axiom of awesomeness regarding X-LFG tools based on their experience
    MeakGG and Yakzan like this.
  11. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

It would be a lot nicer if Wildstar were to implement this after the game came out rather than having it from the get-go. I feel that if you don't need something like LFD then you shouldn't have it, as it only promotes people to be anti-social, and promotes the developers to make content easier for those who are matched randomly.

Then again, I also feel that if they do this but also make the dungeons hard, then it will be for the better. However, if they do make the dungeons hard they need to STAY hard. They shouldn't do what WoW did and throw out really hard dungeons that require cooperation and skill, only to nerf the content to the ground because players keep complaining "It's too hard!!!"

Also, I would imagine that it won't be that bad if the raids are really hard, as most people only do dungeons as a means to an end, the end being getting gear for raiding. Not to say that I agree with making the dungeons easy or un-enjoyable, but rather pointing out a bright-side as per my name.

I think over all that people's fears with this is the game turning into a game for the casual player, rather than the passionate player. I'm really hoping that Carbine Studios sticks to appeasing their hardcore raid fans, rather than the fans who have never downed a single hard mode raid boss.

In short: I will forgive this transgression Carbine, if you still keep your content hard and entertaining. Please. For the love of god.
    MeakGG and JarNod like this.
  12. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Also, I've meet a lot of friends from doing what she said she hated. Nothing like typing in LF1M and you get some good conversation.
    MeakGG, Yakzan and Mudfin like this.
  13. ThePandason

ThePandason Cupcake

I see the whole announcement as a double edged sword. Inevitably there has to be a system in place to streamline dungeons to succeed in today's gaming environment. Although I like to look back fondly upon the spamming LF2M DPS, the time allotted for making a quality group, not to mention coordinating runs to a dungeon, is a part of games, in my opinion, that has to be removed to draw to a larger audience and creating a successful title.

With that being said, like many of you I'm slightly disappointed by the announcement, but I don't think it's reason to disapprove of the system for a few reasons, one being the timesink I previously talked about.

Another reason is there is still so much to the guild system we don't know as of yet. Although dungeons may become streamlined, there could still be a large focus on progressing as organizations of players that it creates enough community within singular servers. Maybe wishful thinking? But I hope not because the lack of strong communities is something I miss from MMO's.

Finally, through the path system and world bosses (Metal Maw) it seems like they're trying to throw in plenty of mechanics to increase the odds of players interacting with each other rather consistently. Fingers crossed it transforms to the higher sense of realm reputation for which quite a few of us seem to be searching.
  14. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

It is important to remember sometimes that it's rarely just the tools in a game that make the community, it's mainly the players.

I have been in so many farming mindless Zerg dungeon runs since the LFG tool came out in WoW, it's just crazy. However, before the LFG tool came out? Well, I either did dungeons with my guild / friends... Or I spammed chat for hours asking for a group, then spent more time getting everyone there, then spent even MORE time wiping if the group turned out bad. It pretty much turned me off dungeon PuGs -unless- I had a full group of friends or guilders to go with anyway.

Sure, LFG can lead to the bad group experiences talked about in this thread, but one of the reasons we've noticed this is because with the LFG tool we run an Astronomically greater number of dungeons.

Without a LFG, did you really run dungeons whenever you wanted? Did you end up making long lasting friendships in those dungeons? If you did... Shouldn't that mean you are still playing and talking with those friends today so you never have to use the LFG tool ever again because you always have friends to run a dungeon with?

Those mindless farming dungeon runs I mentioned earlier? Well, it's not like I ever TRIED to be that sociable... That was all on me, every time. And those times I did try and still was met with silence or a bad reaction? Well, I hate to break it to people but this is the Internet... Has anyone here NEVER ever gotten a bad reaction or silence to their attempt at conversation in their own server's general chat? >.>

LFG doesn't mean you can't meet people on your server and go do group content. If that is how you want to do things, you still can. I know guilds that don't use the LFG tool in WoW and only do friendly runs... Or they use the tool to quickly find one last spot for a run if they are one short.

I just think people blame those endless mindless Zerg group experiences on the wrong factors. It wasn't the cross-server LFG tool that did that... It was just that suddenly with the LFG tool we got to experience SO MANY MORE dungeons on a solo level all at once.

I've also heard stories about people who actually develop friendships across servers now and then due to the system and keep in touch. Some even server transfer because of it. Think about that... Because without the cross-server LFG those friendships NEVER would have happened.

Nothing is stopping you from being social in every group you are a part of, and a cross-server LFG tool only increases the chance for you to meet even more new people in his great world of ours... Not limit that chance.
  15. Amlin

Amlin Cupcake

I really don't want to take up discussion space with just me repeating things like a broken record, but suffice to say that having played many MMOs with and without a LFG tool, the experience is night vs day.

I am not a fan of sitting around for the next 15 to 30+ mins trying, hoping for that one crucial member to join my group to do a dungeon, then spend the entire run praying that none of them are actually toolbags that will drop the instant they die or the team wipes, because I'll be SOL and back to spamming a chat.
  16. JarNod

What happens when you make friends with someone, only to realize they're on a different server than you and you can't ever run a dungeon with them again?
  17. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

That's where Carbine come in - and design systems to enable it to happen! :D
  18. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

So deeply unhappy to see cross-server Battlegrounds / Dungeon Finder.
  19. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Even Battle Grounds?
  20. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Is that worse then never meeting them in the first place? I would rather have met you once, JarNod, because you can be pretty awesome and will have added to my life, and then part ways due to being on different severs... Then wish I had NEVER met you EVER. In this case, ignorance is not bliss for me.

I do hope they add abilities for cross server communication and potential friends lists across servers and even maybe grouping in the finder this way. I think that would go a long want to make these potential undiscovered friendships more lasting, sure.

But if for some reason they can't get that in, well if I meet someone I can never group again who is THAT awesome, I'll find a way to keep in touch, you better well believe it. Even if its just exchanging e-mails or chatting on the boards.

Or, I'll just smile and say "what a nice and fun person, my day is better today because I met them," and then go on with my life. :)

We can't build lasting friendships where we hang out all the time with everyone we meet in the world. Sadly teleporters haven't been invented yet.