1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Cross server dungeon finder confirmed

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

I know what you mean.

I keep seeing people using the argument (not exactly inside this specific thread) that they have made plenty of friends cross-server in a game such as WoW, and that they can still run dungeons with them on a game like that.

But what I think people fail to realize is that just because someone can run dungeons with you, doesn't mean they'll be on your server. For example, with WoW you could actually do some raids cross-server, this is true; however you could only do raids that were from the previous tier, in other words: Old content and infinitely easier.

People don't want to make a friend and run old content with them, people want to make a friend and be able to run current or new content, maybe if they're good enough invite them to their guild and raid with them in heroic/hard mode raids. There have been many people I've met over the years that would have been a perfect addition to my raid team, however I couldn't recruit them due to the fact that they were on a different server.

Like Zap-Robo said, we can only hope that they make a system that fixes this. And I really hope that they do.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

For me yes, but the way they were doing ELO and open I knew it had to be the case.

For me both effect my community experience in the negative.
  3. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Lol, I was agreeing with you. I should rephrase the question, Even cross server battle grounds are in the game.
  4. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

LOL, got ya. Yes they are, sadly.
  5. Amlin

Amlin Cupcake

Carbine can always take cues from its friends up north in Arenanet and take xserver guesting and friend requests. Choice of server and faction should never limit being able to nurture a growing friendship.
  6. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

Especially Battlegrounds. I can remember the first Alterac Valley I ever played, being killed by Martinka, after I reached level 60, farming for The Unstoppable Force on my Paladin. You see the same guys, the same Guilds, there's a story, and a journey and it's being part of something, I'd take that every day of the week over a quick queue and artificial experience.
    JCwildthing, Black Wolf and Azzurri like this.
  7. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

It's bad enough that all meaningful PvP is instanced, now it's cross server. How are we suppose to build communities and rivals?
  8. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

We don't. It's all about the level and gear chase. Have to find another outlet for meaningful PvP.

Man, I'm sorry, I'm not purposefully disagreeing with you, Amlin, but you guessed it I hate Guesting, too ;). Either lower pop comes to high pop or vice versa and help to create overflows that the home server is in, thus causing some of those players to guest and the cycle repeats.
  9. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

Oh sorry Azzurri, I see now that you were asking for confirmation that cross-server Battlegrounds where in as well, yes, they are indeed. See my above post for nostalgia and a taste of those old rivalries.
  10. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Agreed, this is something I'm really worried about as well.
  11. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Let me relate this to a sporting event. If I'm playing pickup basketball (I love basketball), and the people I'm playing with are from my community, I can ask them to come hang out anytime outside of the basketball court. I can even call and check to see if they want to play and within a few hours I can go out and play with them.

If I was randomly transported to a neutral court with 4 other people to play against 5 other people that were also randomly transported there, I would be discouraged. No longer could I ask them to come over to my house, or play on my homecourt anymore. Even if I enjoyed playing with one of them, I wouldn't ever see them again, and I wouldn't want to play basketball like that anymore.

Sure, I can say "what a nice person", but I cannot say "I hope to meet him again someday" because I won't, and in a game/sport/event that is supposed to be community driven, I want to be able to say "I will play with you tomorrow" rather than "my day is nicer, you're a good person" as we go our separate ways.
    Rattlehead, Yakzan and Kurik Lein like this.
  12. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

We all play MMOs here, so we're well aware about the concerns surrounding group finders, but we really appreciate this great discussion about them. We'd like to try and break down the issues people commonly bring up about LFD tools into discrete chunks, for a moment. We believe there are two problems that need to be solved in an MMO:
    • You should be able to get into group content quickly, without having to wait an uncomfortably long time.
    • You should be able to form a strong sense of community on your individual server.
    Our question, which we present to you, is: Do these two problems both have to be solved via the Group Finder? We believe we can focus on other social aspects of the game in order to make your server a unique community, while still allowing you to access content quickly and easily. There's a common belief amongst players that the Group Finder is the only way to form relationships with people on your server, and we're questioning if that truly has to be the case for MMOs. What do you think?
    InnocentCivilian, Arawulf and Dragnog like this.
  13. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

Great analogy, JarNod.
  14. Optimisticnerd

This is a good point; on the other hand, what if you're really good and you go into a BG where if they see you they're like "oh <REDACTED>, this guy again! zerg him!" that'd kinda suck. I guess that's all part of the fun though.
  15. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Here's what I don't get, though. Without any kind of cross-server grouping, you never would have met these people in the first place.

Did ever in this history of meeting those who would be perfect recruits for your raid you ever find out be specifics about them? We're they in a raid of their own on their server? Was their schedule a consistent one or were they using the service because they have limited time and are more casual?

I mean, sure, with a cross-server tool you might run into some guy who is the perfect raid member, matches your timezone, matches your raiding schedule, and is a complete free agent who doesn't belong to any raid anywhere else! Well, if that does happen, what's to stop a server transfer if these ideal conditions are so strong? Ties to his own server? What ties could they have that keep them there if they are such a good fit for your group?

I just see such tools in a different light perhaps. I mean, if I am a raid or dungeon leader and only ever want to run a raid with people on my server, I just... wouldn't use the tool.

But it's convenient, so people use it yet feel "pressured" perhaps into doing so. Then look for a reason why it's bad perhaps. Well, it isn't that I can see. You meet someone great from another server, and they have two many tied to their own server so sadly you must part ways. What's so sad about that? You NEVER would have met them without the system, and without the system, you would have either had to do something short of the recommended or required number of people, or hung around delayed WAITING to fill a group.
  16. Optimisticnerd

I find the amount of logic in your reasoning outlandish and frightening. If Spock was here his head would explode and I'd be cleaning vulcan blood out of my shirt.

It is true that there are other factors than this that can build a server community this is true. However, would you mind educating us on what you guys have planned to build strong server communities, or at least give us an example using current information? From my experience and possibly my ignorance, I cannot think of much other ways than dungeons.
    Yakzan likes this.
  17. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for the post Scooter, I'll just quote one point of it though.

I don't care much for a PvE dungeon finder, but I can live with it, that's fine, for convenience I understand.

PvP however, I want that community, it's the most important thing for me. If I was given the option to queue for a battleground that could be run with only people from my server, that I recognized and guilds that I knew I would do it, I'd do it knowing it took 3-4 hours for a queue, without a minutes notice. I'd spend the 3-4 hours trading on the auction house, or crafting, or talking in guild chat getting to know people, duelling, I wouldn't mind.
  18. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

WHAT DO I THINK!? My opinion is that it really depends on the game. With WoW, Dungeons were such a huge part of the PvE content that it had a vast effect on the community as a whole. With Wildstar, who knows? We don't know about all the content options available. I've already suggested that this method be used to what we now know as Dungeon Content (Quick, linear instances). On the flipside with that, have content that is more akin to the non-instanced, non-linear dungeons and not use cross-realm matchmaking for that, but different LFG tools. It has its own slew of issues, but it's an idea.

About it being the "only way to form relationships" I'm on the same page but like I mentioned, dungeons were so interconnected with the PvE content that if you mess with that system, it has a profound effect on everything else. Dungeons were often used as ways to judge the skill of other people (Hey, this healer is good, we should try to recruit him for our raids), as well as meet new people because of the solo nature of the world content of WoW. People were funneled into this group environment and opened up to each other, for better or worse, thus creating some social interaction and building the aforementioned connections.

So my question to Carbine: What else do you have in store to remove all the focus from dungeons in terms of active content that people will have to interact with each other and form relationships and connections in different ways? What is it that you're hiding that you feel will help alleviate these issues? We don't know, this is one of the reasons why all the focus is on this specific concept.
    Kurik Lein and JarNod like this.
  19. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

As someone who's favorite MMO was PRE NGE SWG, there was nothing better than the rivals we had on our servers. I still remember the battles in the game and most of all the server forum board. I guess I'm so old school that I'll never like Cross server anything.
    Rattlehead and Kurik Lein like this.
  20. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

The problem is that many of us very strongly believe that a cross-server Group Finder destroys a server community. So the absence of a cross-server GF answers your second question already.

To answer your first point, many of us are not against a GF at all. Personally I'm against a cross-server GF.
    Yakzan, Kurik Lein, Kataryna and 3 others like this.