1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Cross server dungeon finder confirmed

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I'll let others comment on Dungeons and PvE content. PvP is something I really enjoy in MMOs, a big reason why I enjoy it is because of the rivalries that formed between two factions on a single server. Cross-server PvP may potentially eliminate those rivalries for me.
    Yakzan, John, Black Wolf and 3 others like this.
  2. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

We're so on the same page. To paraphrase Riot, I just find Cross-Server f$&k!ng toxic.
  3. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, it's as you're saying that I would have never met them without the system, but then again I would rather have not met them. Do you know what I mean? If I find someone who is really good, funny, smart, chatty, or whatever and I like them that's pretty freaking cool. But it's a big tease to people when you realize that either won't see them again, or can't play with him/her in your desired game-mode. It's convenient, this I will not deny, but at the same time it's very disappointing.

I see your point, and I actually agree with you, I can't help but feel disappointed after meeting these people and thinking "Well. That person's gone."

To answer your question about the recruiting them to my guild, the reasons were things like lack of funds for a server transfer, RL friends on their server they'd leave behind, the quests that the person was on would be dropped and he'd have to start over (like legendary 16 week long quests), many things can hold a person up in that. Admittedly, I have gotten about 2 raiders from LFD, but that's out of a LOT of people I've asked. And I never asked anyone who was already in a raiding guild either.
  4. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Thank you for sharing this Scooter.

As an older gamer I freely admit that I tend to put a lot of stock on reputation within your given community as the main way to form relationships. The way the reputation was formed was through grouping in dungeons and through battling familiar foes in PvP. So, for me, when I see a finder that takes away from finding and forming teams locally, I feel like it will negatively impact the social aspect for me with my server. I feel like I have just joined a server with a particular rule set that becomes a chat lobby instead of a virtual world.

Now, having said that, I have liked what Zap-Robo and others have conjured up as ways to help build a sense of community with in the finder itself. I hope y'all have something similar in mind.

Also, I Like how you stated your questions. It gives me hope that you will include things in the game to further enhance the individual server community. I am not creative so I rely on you developers and the creative folks here to create and suggest ideas that can be fun and beneficial.
  5. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

It's an interesting analogy, but the thing to think about is in this analogy you CAN teleport, thus you could pay some extra money and teleport to hang out with them at a later date. Nothing is stopping you getting their name or information and contacting them later either. It's really the same thing as before, only the "community" in question pulls for a larger pool.

If we're talking about PvP matches, and rivals, well you can see someone's name and server name in the lists. If you really wanted to, how would you contact such people previously? Roll an alt on their faction? Post on your server board?

Those boards are still there, just have to find a server name. You could also create a quick alt on their server to say hello. See, it's not like it is crazy hard to do this stuff, it's almost pretty much exactly the same effort before such a system was implemented.

I think what I'd love to see is server "guesting" as ArenaNet has done, sure. Or the ability to make sure queues go through actively waiting people on your server on both factions first before pulling from the open multiple server pool. Sure all that would be very welcome.

However, cross-server matchups just don't limit us. They only bring MORE of us together. It's up to us how we deal with that, and I think strong community ties are just affected by so many other things, mostly player and population related.
  6. Snapple

Snapple New Cupcake

Honestly Scooter I feel like dungeons and battlegrounds are the best ways to form communities. The most fun I've had in MMOs was fighting with people I know and against people I've seen before. It creates friendships and rivalries. I'm not one for PVE but for PVP having cross-realm battlegrounds takes away from the immersion of being in a "world". I guess knowing that when you leave you're probably never going to see those players again feels more like Counterstrike than a MMO. To somewhat answer your question I would gladly wait for something to pop than lose my sense of immersion in the world. People don't end up leaving cities and you lose world pvp. Even if it's specific severs that aren't cross realm I think you would get a lot more people playing on those than you would think.
    Lethality likes this.
  7. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger Cupcake

An important issue that I took up in the chat was...

That some servers might not be able to form a group that quickly, since most will want to run with their guilds.

Waiting 30 minutes or 1 hour isn't really appealing and lets not forget:

Some servers might have a much smaller playerbase, I'd not be selfish if it wasn't for those people. They need to play as well, and enjoy what this game has to offer.

If anything, see the Dungeonfinder as something that can help other players while at the same time help those people who wants to play on a small server (but has to wait 3 hours searching for people that want to play).
  8. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I don't know if you CAN solve both of those with a cross realm group finder. At least, the group finder alone can't solve it. I honestly think that the cost of 10 extra minutes that the single server LFG tool is greatly overshadowed by the increase in rivalry in PvP and community in PvE. Maybe that's just me, but I'm here because I want WildStar to have a strong community behind it, not just getting those fat loots quickly...

The only way I can see server community NOT dying with a X-server LFG tool is to implement server only events outside of instances. This would require a lot more work by Carbine though.

I guess it really depends on how important the things available to X-Realm tools are. If the only things to do are dungeons or battlegrounds, then the server will start dying when you implement a X-Realm, but if those are a side part of elder games, then it's not as big a deal.
  9. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

On the flip side, it has done nothing but create an ecosystem of watered-down group content and anti-social environments.

I maintain group content should simply not be designed to be doable unless you do it with friends that practice together and communicate. Bringing random people together who aren't even talking means the content will be lackluster at best.

Carbine has a chance to fix something that has gone very wrong with the genre, so maybe they have some ideas.
    Yakzan and BrokSamson like this.
  10. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I honestly don't think that many of us have thought of this, or if we have it was a fleeting thought. Getting into group content quickly is nice, however the fact that it's an anonymous factor means that people don't have to care as much as if they knew that they would run into the people they were grouping with again. I'm sure with lots of thinking and debating we would come to the conclusion that it isn't the only way to foster a strong community on servers, it's just a matter of finding a good way how.
    Kurik Lein and Aheadache like this.
  11. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

If they tie it in with a cross realm friends list/preffered list that auto groups up people with lists it could be very cool. Imagine you find ...say 5 tanks that you have run with that are smooth, and he knows a few healers, and they know a few dpsers. If it is linked I would like it especially if it gives you options. If I play for a while and have a 50 person dungeon finder list and can say only q me with preferred peeps I say go for it. If no options and no friends list I think it is a horrible idea.

Really if you look at what you need to make a single server system work, and then don't apply it to cross server..it makes no sense. In a single server environment you need to have friends lists, ignore lists, and in general a way to talk smack about someone who is a dumb ass in a group...I know lame but you need it to warn others off. If they don't have a way to do all of that then I think it will destroy community and allow for trouble makers to run rampant.
  12. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Lots of silly numbers being bandied around for non cross-server lfg. Let's try an be sensible. A few minutes may be saved here and there, not hours as I've seen.
    Kurik Lein and Mudfin like this.
  13. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with Blackwolf. I would love a group finder tool, similar to that which was implemented in the Burning Crusade. This tool was only server-wide and was NOT cross-server.

In my experience, cross-server LFG tools tend to ruin server communities; at least that is what I saw with the implementation in Wrath of the Lich King in WoW.
    Yakzan and Lethality like this.
  14. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Regarding rivalries, encountering a certain guild or player I enjoy fighting against is kind of big for me. I can handle the PvP systems all being instanced but if it's cross server I may end up fighting those players less and less with the pool being so large. With PvE content we can always choose to group with our server only, with PvP(Warplots, BGs) I want that same option as well.
  15. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

You know...I just had a thought. After reading all of this...it really points to the idea that group content that needs 5 people to play...is broken. If you need so many people that you can't get into it quickly on 1 server...why the hell was it designed that way in the first place?

Just a thought. Sorry a bit off topic, but makes ya wonder...<REDACTED> now I need a drink.
    Yakzan likes this.
  16. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

If I can teleport in one analogy and it sucks, doesn't it suck more if I can't teleport at all? :p

I'm confused by your second paragraph, sorry... Previously, I fought people on my own server, so the rivalries naturally formed. In SWTOR, I had people tell me that they rerolled cause they met my scoundrel so much they had to play the Imperial equivalent. With a X-Realm LFG, that would never have happened. If there is no server communication, I would just seem him appear and know that he was gonna play well. It was an unspoken rivalry, if that makes sense.

They might bring more people together, but it's not good interaction. It's more like speed dating where you can barely remember the names of the people before their 5 minutes are up.

What I don't understand is why have small server communities if you're going to make us group with people outside the server. Why not just have 4 servers, i.e. the PvP, PvE, RP-PvP and RP-PvE? I don't see the point of having individual servers if we're all queuing up together...
    Mudfin likes this.
  17. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Hopefully, the RP PvP server will disdain from using LFG cross server. I will roll there.

JarNod had a great idea; create a server that has the LFG and Cross server battle ground tool off.
  18. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I'm one of those weirdo purists when it comes to team play in MMOs, and I actually believe that "group content" should mean content that is designed for a well-practiced team of players to complete. So in my strange utopian world, a randomly-matched pick-up group of players who will not communicate or coordinate on strategy would simply be unable to participate successfully.

So in that way, I'd rather see resources go into doing those other things you guys may be thinking of... removing the barriers to making real friends to build groups and guilds with organically. As opposed to what amounts to facilitating single players into group content.

I think a LFG tool is absolutely necessary, but the matchmaking auto-group part isn't. Let players engage with each other with these tools (even cross-server), and take it from there! Having social systems that would allow server freedom as far as friends, grouping, raiding and even guilds would go a long way.
    Mudfin, Yakzan and Kataryna like this.
  19. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

It's not. People are basically exaggerating to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

I
  20. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

If that exists that's the only server I'd even contemplate playing on.