1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Crossbreeds

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Fate Flyer, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

We know already that a Cassian has, in the past, mated with an Eldan in order to create Dominus (or at least, it is assumed that that is how he was born).

But what about the other races?

Is it too much of a stretch to imagine, say, an Aurin getting together with a Draken on some off chance that the two could set aside their differences? Or is the idea of the two even tolerating one another just too ridiculous to even entertain such notions? If so, then what if, for pure scientific gain, the various races were artificially inseminated? Keeping with the aforementioned pairing, what if an Aurin was impregnated by a Draken in this way? Would such a thing be biologically possible? Could an Aurin-Draken hybrid truly exist? What about a Draken-human? Surely though a Granok would not be able to reproduce with a "fleshie"?

I'm not quite sure why I'm even asking this or why my mind wandered down this strange inquisitive path, but I do tend to ask the unique questions for knowledge's sake. ;)
  2. Loveless

Loveless Cupcake

Humans in fantasy tend to be the "Corgi" dogs of their genre, (Google some Corgi mixes, it is insane) so I'd wager it'd be easier to use them as a base for genetic mixing, resulting in loads of halfsy combos. I'm a huge fan of half-bloods, so long as the parents were in agreement on it. Couldn't say I love FF6 otherwise!
    Joukehainen and Fate Flyer like this.
  3. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

A Cassian and Eldan or other species mating is biologically impropable. On the rare occasion two different species can breed a hybrid offspring, the offspring is unable to breed any themselves or only rarely do produce a viable offspring.

So biologically speaking, no, it is only in fantasy the nature of biology is totally set aside to add flavor with more fruitful hybrid species.

I would go with any of two theories: Eldan are in reality the origin of Cassians, so they may still be the same material and able to breed. However this theory fails in the time gone by since they could have been the same.

The more propable theory fitting the Eldans we know and fear, is that the Cassian/Eldan hybrid is a genetic nanotechnological tinkering experiment, which the lady may or may not have survived - any info on her appearing on the scene after being foisted off to the Eldans?

Only hybrids likely in the Wildstar universe, without massive tinkering, would be Cassian human/Exile human, since they are not yet evolutionary far enough apart to be separate species.

I guess Eldans could have tinkered with other hybrid creations along the way though...

Related topics:
    What is the diffence between mules, donkeys, burros and why can only men be called jackasses?
    Wikipedia: Mules
    Kirathis, Cheveyo and Fate Flyer like this.
  4. Fate Flyer

Boy, there sure are quite a lot of Corgi mixes! Just check out this guy:
    [​IMG]
    I never thought that was possible. D:

Humans being easier for genetic mixing -- yeah, I think that seems reasonable, at least from a sci-fi setting standpoint. :)
    Awesomely informative reply! Thank you!

I suppose that's something that I should have considered, as I am familiar already with mules and the breeding of horses and donkeys. It does make perfect sense that only extremely closely-related species would have the potential to mate, but even in such cases, their offspring would be unable to reproduce.

I guess my mind was kind of thinking more in terms of what could be somewhat plausible from a science fiction outlook...? You start getting into some real gray areas there though, going from what is realistic to what is fantasy. I do really love the theory of genetic nanotech tinkering to create hybrids. As far as we know, Dominus's mother, Tresayne, just simply disappeared never to be seen again after she left the planet, so one assumes she perished, perhaps even during childbirth.
    Loveless likes this.
  5. SiegaPlays

The nanotechnological genetic tinkering theory could fit science fiction. Advanced selfcloning nanotechnology fixing survival issues in the fosters and making them stronger and more hardy in life :p

Interspecies breeding fits fantasy or scifi fantasy without the "could it be possible" strappings. Since Wildstar have a distinct scifi feel, I guess anything is possible.

What about going along the line of Dominus not really being a hybrid but a carrier, in good old StarGate style, and his offsprings becomes carriers too, maybe with the secret help of select Mechari or by Eldans being some dominant energy body snatching creatures ... The rare Eldans maybe integrated, permanently, as the dominant family of the Dominion...

uuhhhh
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  6. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Personally, I would like Aurin-Draken hybrid. (Auken? Draurin?) Aurin's are fun with their ears and tails, but not quite as animalistic as I would like them to be.

Going on topic, yes, it would be rather possible for cross-breeding to happen in WildStar, most especially with the Eldan's biological modification technology. I've no doubt that at some point Phineas T. Rotostar and his army of clones have already gone about collecting gene samples to sell and the means to incubate your perfect child, whatever the species, though.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  7. Brenner

Brenner Cupcake-About-Town

Going off this idea I suppose anything could be possible from a more technological perspective if not a genetic one. On the other hand thanks to cultural differences and racial tensions I imagine hybrids will be largely rare.
  8. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

As long as those rare specimens are proper, interesting hybrids and not "Sparkledogs" (google at your own risk), I'm happy.
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

semi off topic, but i never had seen any Corgi mixes before looking just now. now, if you were talking Poodle mixes, there's plenty of those that i've seen!!
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  10. Cheveyo

Cheveyo New Cupcake

I agree with Siega.

An Aurin and Draken mating is like trying to get a coyote to mate with a rabbit.
    Wreck likes this.
  11. SiegaPlays

Has anyone thought about how wrong it is to use the word races for Aurin and Drakken, when comparing them -- not to mention in all other games featuring non-human character options?

They are species, not different races of the same species.

Only Cassian human and Exile human are remotely different races of the same species, and even then it seems like the difference is more of a political essence than biological, so not really. 300 years have not removed their genetics so far from each other that we can talk about different races.
    Maddog Charlie and Fate Flyer like this.
  12. Minjin

Minjin New Cupcake

Let us look at it from a strickly, could a Predator race mate with a non-predator race. In Star Trek there are maybe Klingon Halfbreeds. They are a Predator race, yet they have mated with Humans, Romulans, Bjorins, whatever Troy was, and probably many more. I think being a Predator race pretty much means you do not hold to the same sexual desires as a more civilized race might. So i think it would be more then possible that there are some Draken half babies out there and a momma crying cause their daddy killed their favorite dog.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  13. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

well in tng its shown all the races came from the same stock :p But yeah, i had a post that pertained to this *goes to look for it* Sorry for the wall o text in advance! This is more about the humans, but part of it could apply to all the races.
  14. Fate Flyer

Yesssss! I always think that though about MMOs. XD But you are absolutely right.

Races refer to slight variations in the same species. Or rather, here's the Dictionary's definition:
    a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.

Whereas, here's the definition of species:
    Biology . the major subdivision of a genus or subgenus, regarded as the basic category of biologicalclassification, composed of related individuals that resemble one another, are able to breed amongst themselves, but are not able to breed with members of another species.

Yep.
  15. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Draken/Aurin crossbreed you say?

[​IMG]
    Mudfin and Fate Flyer like this.
  16. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

Half breeds tend to be mcguffins and mary sues that seem to serve little purpose beyond allowing cliched stories...oh noes I'm half human and half vulcan and it lets me behave like whichever race is conveniant for the plot and allows me to have a whole lot of emotional baggage because I was never truly accepted by either. Or I'm the living cost of when two species give in to the ultimate romeo and juliet temptation.....drivel.
  17. Fate Flyer

Awesome reply! :D Can I just say how much I love this? Big questions. Big mysteries. Big thinkin'!

You touched on quite a few things I have been wondering myself.

I, too, was curious why the Eldan, in all their superiority, would seek out an alien species somewhere in the galaxy to basically become their heirs to the throne, so-to-say, and to help spread the Dominion. It seems to me that they were in need of foot soldiers, as you had said. However, it doesn't hurt to have more people on your side, fighting for your cause. The more that they could spread their power and their ways of thinking and operating, the more various species would accept them and join them. If your fellow man saw another species that you are perhaps already allies or close with join the Dominion, you'd be much more inclined to do so yourself than if you were approached directly from a Dominion advocate.

It does seem to me that the Eldan and the humans shared the same base DNA, as you had mentioned, in order to create Dominus. (I assume Dominus is a true hybrid and it isn't simply all a big fabrication, as it does appear to be what they intended based on what we can read on the WildStar website. But then again, how knows. The Devs could just be throwing us all off!) Despite how Dominus was created (artificially or the old fashioned way), it would be essential that the humans and Eldan be closely related...which begs the question: are the Eldan actually humans, perhaps from the distant future? (That is the setting of the recent movie Prometheus.)

I love that you bring up the whereabouts of the Eldan! I also have wondered if they are not truly all gone in the sense that they are dead, but perhaps they simply fled from their home planet for some purpose known only to them. (That actually is one of the main purposes behind my main character I just created for WildStar - to be the one to determine where the Eldan are.) Considering the Cassians are not originally from Cassus, it is quite possible that they came from Nexus and that they were once Eldan!

To me, all of this sounds similar to what we know today in UFO and alien conspiracy theories. Many theorists believe we are and have been experiencing a period of rapid technological growth and that the governments of the world actually are decades (or more) ahead of what we even know today in regards to technology (which isn't exactly far fetched, as we do already know the military has advanced weapons and technology that is classified for national security reasons). If extraterrestrials visited our planet, presented us with great forms of technology, and even mated with us to produce hybrids (perhaps with extraordinary gifts!? ah, I can dream lol), we wouldn't be all that far off from the Cassians!

This is my favorite discussion. I love wondering and hypothesizing about this topic. Just as I do in the real world, with WildStar I love mysteries and anything unknown.

bitbandit - Thank you for chatting with me about all this and for all your excellent thoughts and speculations and for making this thread so epic for me. :D
    Izukar likes this.
  18. Fate Flyer

Yes! This is perfect. These creatures shall rule the galaxy... :sneaky::devilish:
    Rakkis and Veckna like this.
  19. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Personally, I'm not really a fan with the idea of the races being able to intermix with each other. It just seems weird to me. :p

There's also the theory that the Eldan could, as someone else suggested, be the original humans from which the Cassians are descended (we know that even the Cassian humans are not native to Cassus). It would explain why the Eldan chose the Cassians to lead (they are almost the same blood), and why so much of the Eldan's tech is humanoid.
    Mudfin and Fate Flyer like this.
  20. Fate Flyer

Yeah, that's true! It really would. *mind races*

I'm happy holding onto that assumption. :)