1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Dark Souls 2

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Convicted, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Is there a good place to get beginner help for this game, like some really basic questions "I cant find how to do this action", or "I'm pressing this button and nothing is happening" sort of stuff?
  2. Dalrok

Dalrok New Cupcake

You could just ask really, but it's a modern game with an old playstyle. It's all about trial and error.
  3. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

The super guide book. It is a life saver. But, honestly yes ask away and answers will be given
    Dalrok likes this.
  4. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Well, I would have been cool with reading a pdf manual or something like that, I didn't want to bug people every time I came across something. ;)

I did manage to search out some answers, so I'll go with one that just popped up.

What do all the stats mean on right hand side, and is the Morning Star ( first image ) better than the basic Mace ( second image )?

[​IMG]

Mace

[​IMG]
  5. plic70

yes totally. the bleed damage more than makes up for the minor loss in attack damage. Plus don't worry that is what dark souls is all about, getting your <REDACTED> rocked and looking for help.
  6. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Ok great, so those symbols are for bleed damage, is there no way to get descriptions for all those symbols on the right? I am playing this on PC and when I mouse-over them....nothing.

thanks for the help.
  7. plic70

On a controller it's the select/back button...on PC.....no idea, but if you're using an xbox controller it should be the same button
  8. plic70

how is the campaign coming along convicted?
  9. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Coming along fairly slowly, trying out different things to see what works, here's a few more questions..
    ( Just beat the first boss Tree Giant, and explored everywhere in that area )

1. Soul of the Lost Giant from the boss, should I save it or use it right away, the tooltip hints it might have another use.

2. Can my Cleric use mage spells? I have the required stat for INT and have the scroll for that lesser blue missile spell, but I can't switch to it on my HUD.

3. Not sure where to go next, I explored down the tunnel from town that leads to the big open platforms with giant metal guys with two handed swords and maces. I ran down to the bonfire and saved there so I can travel any time, but those guys seemed to be fairly tough to dodge their attacks, so not sure if I'm in the right place at this point in the game.
  10. plic70

Slowly is the best way to play that game, there is lot's of hidden things around, like the estus flask shard at the well in majula(hit the rock)

SAVE ALL BOSS SOULS-you can use them to buy items later and still use them for their souls after that too!!!

you need to get a staff and attune the spell to the staff(done at fire) need to up your ATN stat to get double attunage

heides tower is the next place to go after you get to the room with the 2h sword nad double sword board go right then 2h swd then boss
    for all biggie knight and the boss circle around behind,then murder then. if you have a shield and good poise/str you can block their attacks too.
  11. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Cool, thanks I'll hold on to those boss souls and grab a staff for the magic stuff.

I looked at a few videos and it seems that stamina is pretty important and directly ties into shield blocking as I see most people blocking at least 50% of fights with just basic mobs. The long weapons combined with sweeping attacks make it very hard to recover from attacking without at least blocking once, and the more stamina you have, the better you can swipe at a mob and dance after blocking.

I have also tested the parrying and was successful against the starter level creeps with basic swords and knives, but I then went to test it against the huge knights with the sword/shield, and couldn't parry them once.
  12. plic70

I'm horrible at parrying, which is why i upped my stamina and got a good shield and just face tank/dodge roll everything. You need stamina for everything, fighting, casting, blocking sprinting, not a bad idea to up it a bit. But don't run into the same problem I did on my first character I kept trying to level up a little bit in everything and got my ass kicked part way through, had to restart.
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Getting better at parrying, I increased my poise and stamina and got a shield upgrade, then went and spent a bit practicing parrying the Pursuer, finally got him down, along with the 2 bosses over in the Heide's Tower, so 4 down all together.
    Bought some miracle spells but it seems you can't cycle through them or I'm doing something wrong, I went to the fire and attuned but I can only pick one spell, I can't use the D-pad and cycle through the others.
    On my way to the underground pirate lair with the ship for next time.
  14. plic70

Your attunement skill is not high enough then. I believe it needs to be at 13? before you can get 2. I haven't tried a faith/magic and str/dex build I re made and jsut went str/dex and whooped so far. But now I'm on a room where there are like 10 guys just trying to whoop me so it shall be interesting.

Also, GRATS on getting pursuer and both dragon riders
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Just figured I'd throw an update in, killed No Mans Wharf boss, 3 Ruin Sentinals ( solo ), Lost Sinner boss, and Skeleton Lord.
    Cleared out Huntmans Copse except for the Undead Chariot boss, cleared out a good part of harvest valley, everything up to Covetas Demon, haven't tried him yet, I'm currenty heading to the Belfry Gargoyles boss.
    Think I'm up to Level 70, +7 spiked mace with Drangelic armor and the Old Knight Shield, 8 Flasks +3, and using the Faith lightning spell for ranged attacks.

One thing I guess I'm unsure of is, I assume if you want to upgrade other weapons and armor, you have to go and farm Twinkling and Large Titanite? because it seems from just progressing normally, you only get enough of those to upgrade 1 set of gear - which obviously you are going to pick the gear you already upgraded, in order to get more powerful.
    Maybe there is a vendor that sells those? I dont recall seeing one.
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  16. plic70

When you get to earthen Peak you will meet a lady that will eventually stock those. Otherwise, it is basically farming them and making sure you can kill the little blue lizards when you see them. Covetous isn't terribly difficult. The gargoyles are fun but very, very manic. Remember that there is a New Game + feature that goes all the way up to like 8 or 9 so you will be getting a bunch of new stuff next run through as well.

As far as my own, I have finally finished the first run through and have started the second. That last few areas are freaking awesome.