1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Dealing damage as a healer

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by hopscotch, Apr 14, 2013.

1. hopscotch

hopscotch Cupcake

Should a healer dps in a raid/dungeon?

If the content is as challenging as carbine is making it out to be, i wouldn't think a healer would have time to dps while healing the raid/tank. If healers do have time to throw some dps out in the middle of healing what is stopping a raid from dropping some healers for some more dps?

Have heard the devs talk about healers dpsing on a few occasions, not sure if it would work in a competitive raid environment.

Jeremy Gaffney Quote:
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  2. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

I find the Idea of a healer doing some damage during the raid/dungeons awesome!Having a healer spam healing or always healing doesn't actually mean the fight is hard!

A fine idea is to give in the Talent trees a skill similar to Shamans telluric Currents that is also a buff!
    What is that?
    Lets say you don't have to heal for a period of time.You dps.And while you dps you take some mana back!

But i think the dps of a healer shall be minor to the dps of an actual dps class!

At the moment we don't know anything about the raids.I mean how it will be.A raid fight can be different from an other and in one fight you will need 5 healers and in an other 3..Its normal.

I really hope they will find the balance to that!A tank should be a tank and a healer should focus on healing!
    We need to have separate roles for everyone!
    Sarah Orlando likes this.
  3. Críostóir

Críostóir Cupcake-About-Town

From Jeremy's post:

The Carbine devs have made it clear that they're working toward a system where we cannot sit idly by on the back lines playing whack-a-mole. While the type of healing may differ from class to class (i.e., the mechanics or even the abilities each player has decided to activate for a given encounter), because of the telegraph system, it sounds like a safe bet to say that healing in WildStar will be a lot more involved than it has been in some other games.

That's our hope, at least! :)

Now with that being said, Jeremy did outline other ways in which a healer could participate in a given encounter. It doesn't necessarily have to be through the extra DPS alone. I'm fine with that, because I love the support role and healer role equally (some would even say they're the same). There's nothing to say though, that the DPS "hybrid role" wouldn't be equally valued, depending on the encounter.
    Poet, spencerBAXLEY and Fate Flyer like this.
  4. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

I really loved the design of Discipline Priests in WoW during Wrath of the Lich King. They had the ability to go fairly offensive (probably like 30% of what a DPS could do) but that coupled along with fear was pretty crazy.

I always loved seeing an RMP set up a really good kill on someone in Arenas. You'd see a kidney shot come in and then a Holy Fire, Shadow Word Pain, Smite, Smite, Smite ect.

Too bad they ruined Disc priests...
  5. Crybone

Crybone Cupcake-About-Town

I like to be able to deal dmg as a part of healing. Though i think the damage should go through alternative spells with some support utility:

Quick example: Shield consumes next incoming damage (x - value), reflecting it to the attacker (y (x) - value).
  6. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

I really liked chloro healing in rift. You wern't able to do a ton of damage, but even the 25% of a dps is better then nothing. If there is healing like this in wildstar they need to make sure all healers can actually do some damage otherwise why bring a healer that brings the same amount of healing but no damage.

Now in wildstar with a LAS, im thinking a dedicated healer really wont have room on their bars for things that aren't heal/buff/cc related. I don't think i could justify getting rid of a heal just to do a bit of dps. Maybe on a boss that has a massive "burn phase" where he does no damage some kind of hybrid would work, but most of the time, i think i will personally use full heals.
  7. hopscotch

hopscotch Cupcake

If healers do damage i hope the abilities are tied to healing somehow, i just don't want healers finding themselves dealing damage because they have nothing to heal.

In some phases dealing damage might be necessary but the majority of the time i would rather play my role.
    Boss example: Killing XT decontructors heart to activate hard mode. (ulduar WOTLK)
  8. jimmy

jimmy New Cupcake

i always play some sort of healing type in every game & always have & enjoy tossing out an insta cast attack inbetween heals when everyone is green good

^ the quicker something dies the less damage it can put out that needs to be healed
    Poet likes this.
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

i loooved playing a Chloro in Rift. though, I remember being able to be about halfway or better on the dps charts, and topping the healing charts when Clerics were supposedly OP in healing (though, i played a chloro differently than most people...i play most of my character's specs in MMOs differently than people expect me to, i'm odd.)
  10. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Leveling? Duuh.

In Dungeons? Mmh...5 mans can be very hard for healers especially if alot of damage comes in as they're on their own, obviously.
    So...I'd like to see a viable version of the smiter-discipline priest in WoW- dealing damage heals. The damage wouldn't be too high, of course.
    Raids? Ye-no...Well, I like to think of it more as a supporter than a healer. Throwing in strong debuffs on enemies, buffing your raidmembers and healing all at the same time.

But if you have the spare ressource or your other healers are 1337 as hell, go ahead and DPS a bit :)
  11. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

You must have played with some pretty bad DPS :D. Jokes aside, Chloro was pretty much designed to top the heal parses, before they separated tank and raid healing, you had some of the best tank heals with constant AE healing with the best mana regen in the game.
  12. pondfilter

pondfilter Cupcake

I agree with Zybak, Discipline Priests were very fun to play and could dish out a decent amount of support dps when not healing. I played a Discipline Priest at the end of TBC/some parts in WotLK and have fond memories of it. For example Penance would be a spell that, if used on a friendly target, would heal him 3 or 4 times with a second delay in between the blasts of energy you fired. However if you used this on a hostile target, he would take damage instead. What made Disc Priests so fun to play was the large variation in spells too. You had Penance to heal together with a flash heal with a short cast time but low amount, a greater heal with a long cast time and a big amount, a Healing over Time spell, an absorb shield spell, a heal that would trigger on next damage received, buffs that would decrease damage taken, spell that would increase their cast speed, etc.

Anyway, I think the fact that Healers can or should have the possibility to help with DPS is very dependant on the person and the encounter itself. It also depends wether heals will become more powerful through gear/talents/whatnot too. I've only recently gotten into Wildstar so I haven't read up on much unfortunately. If you happened to have good gear and your heals become so powerful that it allows you to do nothing (wait for mana regen to kick in if any?) or simply help with DPS'ing for example. On the other hand some people would play this game for fun and not care about min-maxing like that and just stand still doing nothing. And finally either the fight is too intense that you won't have time to do anything like that.

I hope levelling as a healer won't be too boring though.
    Levelling as a Cleric in Aion pre level 25 comes to mind.
  13. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Rift was just weird that way, I often topped DPS in burst phases as a Bard in a pure support role.
  14. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

Sort of answer your own question, if there is no need for healing why not let the healers DPS? Unless every fight is exactly the same in terms of resource needs (DPS verse heals) then it is not a question of "should" but rather of design intent.
  15. Clickbeast

Clickbeast Cupcake

I certainly enjoyed my time as a healer in WoW significantly more when Blizzy finally implemented DPS benefits for healers. Even if you didn't do much damage, the act of picking a target, clicking away and then swapping back to rotations... it felt enjoyable.

It also makes me think of combat medics in SWG (before the combat update, NGE). The idea was the same, and healing was reactive through canister med bombs, etc.
  16. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I like the way WAR did the DoK and Rift did the Chloromancer healing styles. Wherein dealing damage is actually how you heal. Either through debuffs that give on hit heal on a target, or damaging a target actually heals allies near the target or near you.

There's still a need for you heal spammers, but making a mix of healing styles is always beneficial. The one thing I hope WS has (that WoW had), was that different healers were better at different roles. For example, resto druids were rather poor at MT healing when it came to raid level damage, but they where great at spam HoT'ing people meaning they could keep 9 other players topped, whilst a better MT healer like a pally would spam away on the tank.

However, Blizzard going for "Balance" has leveled their class variations into flavor over function. Now you have pallies with awesome group healing abilities, and druids with great MT healing spam. I intentionally left shammies and priests out, priests have always been able to spec between the two (or at least that was the idea) and shammies were meant to just be the horde paladin for their healing role.
  17. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

This is my big hope for one of the two remaining classes, a melee healer. Your telegraphs have dual-functions of damaging enemies in the AOE and healing/buffing allies.
  18. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe the content will be so challenging that the healer will be required to provide additional damage during the encounter. Now wouldn't that be exciting?

In my opinion, MMOs such as Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot started us on this path of "healers only heal". Back then it was very common to chain-cast heals and, in the case of Camelot, use crowd-control as necessary. This carried over into Wowcraft, naturally, but primary CC was placed back on the spellcasters instead of the healers.

As MMOs have recently become more action-oriented, and Wowcraft has started shifting their focus to allowing healers more damage-type options, it is the players who are very slow to change their heal-heal-heal mindset. People still expect the healers to stand in the back, ensuring that big green numbers float across the screen at a medium pace. It's a good thing to be performing your character's primary role, but I've never understood why people are against providing additional damage during an encounter in order to complete said encounter faster.

I would recommend giving the support class 1 or 2 direct heal abilities, and put them both on a cooldown. Direct heals would be your emergency abilities instead of your go-to ability. Your common heals would be heal-over-time, or a reactive-proc heal (heal when the person takes damage) on a target, or an area heal, or an absorb shield, things like that. Healers would cast more fire-and-forget type heals and then go back to damaging.

To assist with this form of slow healing and provide synergy between class types, maybe you could give damage-dealers or tanks a debuff that would reduce enemy damage. Probably give DD the damage debuff and tanks a friendly damage buff so that everyone is assisting the other classes in some manner.
  19. Poet

Poet Cupcake

As a healer I like the idea of being able to assist when needed and not just chain heal tanks and raid. Throwing a slow on incoming mobs or CC when needed. I don't mind dotting up a boss or three either but i do not what to change what my "role" is in all fights.

If certain phases make me throw on my DPS time to avoid enrage etc then so be it but I love keeping folks up and throwing the life saving slows/stuns on incoming mobs like a good little supporter!
  20. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

Absolutely healer should DPS!!! First off you have to realize that all gamers are not created equal. With that said some people are capable of doing things that others cannot. Hence top-end guild healers do DPS on a regular basis. But if you are just getting started and still having a hard time ensuring the survivability of everyone of course do not DPS. Knowing your priorities whether it be healing, tanking, DPS is your first and primary role is crucial. Adding an extra 200 DPS to a fight for five minutes may be the difference between a boss going down or not.