1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Defection / Faction Change?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Edymnion, May 25, 2013.

1. Edymnion

Edymnion New Cupcake

I will admit up front that I am a little disappointed to see that the game is going to be using the same two faction racial division that WoW uses. The main reason for this? As in WoW, I find that I have a faction preference and a race I really like, and they don't match. I really like the Mechari, but I'd rather play Exiles than Dominion.

Given that we have humans in both camps, I'd like to hold out hope that maybe, possibly, if I wish really really hard the faction lines won't be absolute black and white in this game. An Exile Mechari, or a Dominion Aurin for example. Unlike some other games (again, like WoW) the division seems to be mostly ideological. You've got the Dominion following their path to keep the universe from falling into chaos, and you've got the Exiles rebelling against the politicking and harsh crackdowns of the Dominion.

I know it won't happen, but with all the talk about the game catering to the way we want to play, is it so wrong to hold out some measure of hope that for once an MMO will let me play the character I actually want to play, instead of just picking between the premades?
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Pretty sure that faction changing won't be in. Especially not for the Mechari, they were made by the Eldan to go to the Cassians and form the Dominion. Aurins? Their home planet was ravaged by the Dominion (fairly recently i think?) - pretty sure they don't want to help them. Draken? Their clan-lord agreed to a fight to the death against the Emperor, and whoever won would lead the Draken, needless to say - Dominion FTW!

The races all have pretty darn good reasons for being one faction or the other.
  3. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

Faction change seems super unlikely. But multiple dev posts have been worded in ways which make it sound like you can roll characters from both factions, at least on a PvE server. So, you don't really need to choose (hopefully).

I feel like, at best, you could possibly hold out hope that somehow future expacs or whatever might add currently existing races to the opposite faction with some changes. We don't know, for instance, what became of the Aurin who were left behind on Arboria. Maybe one day we can have ................... cyborgbunnypeople??
  4. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Heck no. You ride or die for you faction none of that faction hopping <REDACTED>.
    Zwipe likes this.
  5. Relapse

Relapse Cupcake

I rarely shoot down someone's opinion... That being said, ABSOLUTELY NOT! WoW's faction restrictions of communication, only being able to have characters on one side on a PvP server, no transferring without giving up everything and starting fresh. The amount of faction pride and tension this created made the game and it's community amazingly emerse and I'm not even a lore/roleplay type of guy.
    Zwipe likes this.
  6. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

1. Wow didn't invent the two faction system
    2. There are PvP concerns because you expect a certain profile on a certain faction (I might look a goose saying this but I assume the humans on both sides stand/walk/action differently)
    Kataryna and Revon like this.
  7. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

If it's a paid service then I'm fine with it, you'll get the bragging rights and being "that guy" and Carbine will get your money to make the game better for me. Also, it would mean that guilds won't have such a hard time choosing a side because of a couple of people that want to go another faction.
  8. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

It would be really confusing, especially in a PVP server. Also it doesn't fit with a lore standpoint either.
    Roa and Revon like this.
  9. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

Well, from a lore standpoint it's not really impossible. The only race I can think of that seems unable to defect to the other side would be Mechari, who were built by the Eldan, so probably they have some kind of deeply embedded subconscious thing that makes them loyal to the Eldan and the empire. Although there is wording in a dev interview that suggests Mechari are sometimes manipulated or killed by other Mechari for not being loyal enough to the empire, so who knows? But anyone else could defect for a number of reasons.

• A Cassian could feel betrayed by the system and defect to the Exiles out of spite.
    • An Exile human could be tired of always running and fighting the Dominion, or could've been bribed/paid off, or could have their family captured and thus be blackmailed.
    • An Aurin could be an idiot.
    • A Granok might be a particularly honorless and ruthless mercenary and decide the Dominion pays better.
    • A Draken might . . . I don't know, I don't really care about the Draken, actually.

But I think from just a technical/meta/gameplay standpoint it can't happen.
  10. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Well- granted it is entirely possible for an individual to defect and go with the opposing side as a "traitor" but, seeing this in a game? I don't think it'll happen. Mainly you should put your character race and adopt the player race's opinion rather than trying to force your own opinion onto the character. It is sort of like in DND where you watch a character's life (you control it) but the character doesn't know this and it has its own opinions.
  11. Homeslice

Homeslice Cupcake

EQ2 has this or at least had it and so did CoH. Been a long time since I played EQ2 though. I always wished you could do faction games in any game. In EQ2 you had to do a long quest line to change sides and could even end up neutral and attacked by both sides. People on the PvP servers loved being exiled there.
  12. Red_Death01

From a raiding perspective though you end up cut off- and if I recall EQ2 was never recognized by its player friendly system. It may have had some interesting ideas but method of utilizing them needs a lot of work.
  13. Homeslice

Homeslice Cupcake

Just curious, what do you mean you are cut off from a raid perspective?
  14. Level 9 Zubat

Level 9 Zubat New Cupcake

While in most MMO's it's a pretty cool idea, I really don't think it would jive with the lore of this game. Especially not the Mechari, as previously mentioned; they're hard-coded to be loyal to the Dominion and the Eldan.
    ruff_ethereal and Zwipe like this.
  15. Red_Death01

Normally to raid you would get a guild and group together to raid- if you're stuck without a faction you would need to have several others do the same thing. Also if anyone is known to be doing this long quest raiders will easily kick you out because if you're jumping faction you obviously wont be in the guild for much longer thus- you're quitting regardless.
  16. Homeslice

Homeslice Cupcake

You are only seeing it as being fully established. You could have a raiding guild of exiles but someone could also start as the opposite faction to play the race they really want to play and then do the quest to be on the faction of their raiding guild.

Raiding happens at high levels and you do it as you level at any time. So when you are capped you would be on the faction you want and be ready to raid.
  17. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

Not a fan of changing sides either. Some things should be fixed and static, so when you see something or someone, you know exactly who or what side it represents.

Perhaps in a novel or book it's interesting, but not really good in an MMO game setting which isn't a full on sandbox.
  18. Homeslice

Homeslice Cupcake

I am actually cool with whatever happens but I do prefer to have the options to play whatever side and race I prefer, personally.

However, you can use more than just a race to signify that someone is on your side or an opposing faction. Same as knowing an NPC is a threat to you.

I just feel the more options you can have, the better.
  19. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

I Agree with Katrya... the lore and background to the races make perfect sense to the division into the two factions having a Draken or Mech as an exile would, I feel, dilute the game lore and for me impact on immersion.

But the yet undisclosed races my hold something for you as a similar option...
  20. Red_Death01

While options are great and give the fact racials wont have any combat oriented bonus (as it is entirely only affecting the cost of items) I do agree that it would be neat. Though after a while switching back and forth if a player wants could be a bit annoying. On the same thought it dawned on me though that there probably wont be any racial language barriers like WoW did.... and seeing Rift not have it was interesting and fun... I'm off topic now.

Mainly- I'm not opposed to it but, when it comes down to it I think I want the developers working on something else other than this system to support it.
    Zwipe likes this.