1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Defection / Faction Change?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Edymnion, May 25, 2013.

1. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I remember City of Heroes/Villians while they didn't have races, there were classes. I loved the little corruptor class, but didn't really like the villain zones because most of the people I knew were on the other side. Eventually they did put in a system to switch alignments and I was very thankful for it.

I guess I could also see some Granok's switching sides as a Dominion too. The ones on the Exile side now as just the ones that were, well. Exiled from their homeworld after their war with the Dominion, but nothing has been said about what happened on their homeworld after they left. Did they stay isolated from the Dominion? Did they open up trade? Even if they didn't, Granok are still mercenaries. It kind of makes sense they would work for anyone.

But, I think in the end, I kind of like the division of races. Like others said, it feels kind of right and the races seem like nice rivals for each other. The Prime, Proper, Arrogant Cassians vs. the Drunken, Hardheaded, Redneck Exile Humans. The Draken and the Aurins (They're natural rivals! They are the only races with tails!). The Mechari and the Granok. After all, a Mechari went to the Granok homeworld and the 'Noks squished him.

For racial language barriers....I think it would be kind of neat if each race did have an option for it's own language, but still all share a common language. I mean, how else is a drunken Granok supposed to spew insults at the mechari? But, I don't think racial langauges are that important. Just that it would be a good idea not to have a language barrier between the two factions.
  2. Blade

Blade Cupcake

I say no. Mainly because that defeats the entire purpose of having the factions unique.​
    Why not just have all races available to both factions from the start if you're going to let people switch as they will?​
  3. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

If its a loooooong , loooong hard quest chain that takes months to complete, I would be fine with it - as long as its something that is so hard ( for such a low reward as having a character switch sides ) that very few do it.
    And its only for that character.
  4. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Against it.

people are just going to roll to the winning side when ever they feel like their sight is on the losing side.

even if it's only a illusion.
  5. Roa

Roa Cupcake

Off topic

Wow
    Flynn really does belong to Wildstar

Brilliant!
    Myrrdhinn likes this.
  6. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Factions add flavor to an MMO. Without factions a lot of it is just bland.
  7. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Thank you! :)
  8. Haiku

Haiku New Cupcake

As far as the mechanics of a themepark MMO work faction switching doesn't really fit, although it would be a really cool concept for a sandbox game with looser structure.
  9. Zerogrifter

Zerogrifter New Cupcake

Meh I'm with the OP - This lore is just a backstory to give a general rationale for a grander motive. There are many stories, and real live situations, where a sect of renegades/separatists turn against their people and support the opposition (or are reprogrammed or enslaved)

Hell Carbine could even make a few bucks (edit: )IF they have a cash shop by letting players who feel strongly enough about it purchase an racial unlock dohicky. This would be there for people who feel strongly enough about a race but still want to play with their friends. Making cost monies would probably make people who cross over a bit more rare in the game world so it wouldn't be as "immersion breaking"

Although I really like the character design of the Mechari I will probably end up playing the Exile side, mostly because thats what my clan has decided, and I find the Dominion annoying for some reason. (Just like most people find me to be =P)

I don't mean people should be able to switch sides willynilly - I'm just saying when you're at character creation you should be able to choose your race and your faction.
  10. Flannan

Flannan Cupcake

I would say no, as other have said, it would take away from the uniqueness of each faction and it would not mesh with the lore of some of the races.
  11. Apothecary

Apothecary Cupcake

If they did have a crossover, i think if it was payed for would be only way but it shouldnt be instant jump over it should be a quest of sorts that leads you to change but i dont think it will happen i think the mechari definatly wouldnt change sides
  12. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

I think it's a cool idea. Definitely something I haven't heard before and it's interesting. Like Rumze said, I'd like it if it was hard.

It does highlight something that I do think is important though. I personally would like the idea for paid race/faction changes. Just in case you want to swap realms with another faction. Whatever, I just think it's important to give the player options. Although I know some people would probably be against the idea of paid character changes.
  13. Valenkeit

Valenkeit New Cupcake

There's always traitors in a war... but with the backstory they've built for the Exiles, I don't see the Granok or the Aurin ever activey supporting the Dominion. I could see reason as to why a Draken or a Mechari would defect, but I just can't honestly see what would drive the Exiles the other way.

Individual stories aside and simply speaking from a gameplay standpoint, I agree that I liked that City of Heroes gave you the option to go from Hero to Villain if you so chose. But, in this game, the classes are all on both sides of the war, so it defeats the purpose of cross-faction as being only for an aesthetic reason. Even CoH didn't really give you much reason to change sides without simply rerolling another character.
  14. Calahan

Calahan Cupcake-About-Town

You have it wrote: A Cassion, Aurin, Granok, whatever... could have a reason, but not hundreds of them.
  15. Nienie

Nienie WSC Background Designer 2013

As long as I can roll a Mechari and an Aurin on the same server and account I will be happy. I hate when you get forced into a particular faction for your entire account, especially given how diverse the races are in this game. I agree however that the races should stay bound to their particular faction.
  16. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

I think there was a post like this a bit ago with the merc faction that could join either side. I'd support it for like PvE servers only if it's PvP it'd be kinda ridiculous since you could spy on the enemies and such, then change back afterwards.

If it's just at the start of being able to pick any race with any faction then I don't know, part of the fun is mutual exclusiveness with races, but it would make in some ways if there was some Cassians in exiles lol, not every person is the same and their ideals may differ.
  17. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Only as long as it's not a pvp server.
  18. Neurotic Cucpake

Neurotic Cucpake Cupcake-About-Town

So Humans aren't simply Cassians who rebelled against the Dominion, I guess? So no other Cassians could decide to defect, and no Humans could decide to give up the fight and come home? And no Drakken could decide that "hey, why do I care who won some fight, these Exiles guys are all right?" And no Granok could be a complete and utter mercenary working for whichever side pays the best? And no Mechari could suffer a short circuit or be infected with a virus that scrambles their hardcoding, leaving them to realize that they have no free will and are just slaves for a cruel, wicked goverment? etc.

If you guys say so...

In reality, however, it would do nothing to "dilute the game lore" and it certainly wouldn't have any impact on PVP -- the guys with the red names are the bad guys, their race doesn't matter one iota.

The worst -- absolutely worst -- thing about faction-based MMOs is that you always have friends who are really interested in one faction over another one because of the racial options. Thus friends -- genuine friends -- have to choose to either play a character they're less than excited about or just not play with their actual friends. Both of those options suck. Really, truly, deeply suck. Back in WoW, several of my friends preferred the Alliance while I absolutely loved my trolls and (later) goblins. But because they were my friends and the whole point of an MMO is to play with friends, I was forced to roll what I felt was an incredibly lame and boring character. I had no fun actually playing the game, aside from those nights I ran dungeons or did some raiding with my buddies, and then that was in spite of my character, not because of it.

I deeply and sincerely hope they offer such an option. I don't care if it's time-consuming or difficult to do, but I'd really like the option so that, should this happen again -- and I'm pretty sure it will as some of my friends and I are already divided -- none of us will be left feeling the same way. You know why? Because I quit the game altogether a few months after going Alliance.
  19. Airhammer

Airhammer Cupcake

Eh. If you wanted to throw away the story you could pull this off. They hate eachother. Not only that, but the Dominion thinks they are superior to the exiles, they wouldn't want them.

I doubt Mechari programing would let them leave.
    I don't think the Draken would shame themselves by leaving after swearing eternal loyalty to the Dominion.
    I doubt the Dominion have the respect for Nature the Aurin are looking for.
    If the Dominion wanted to hire the Granok, they wouldn't have blown up their planet.
    The Humans and the Cassians already had their split. I assume at this point in their lives they had an opportunity to bail. I don't think they'd change their mind at this stage of the game.

Yeah it sucks if friends don't want to play the same faction. Same can go for Race/Class combinations as well. I still dislike the fact that I couldn't be a Gnome paladin in WoW. So I feel where you are coming from. But if both factions had the same races and everyone could be everyone it takes all the character out of the game. Anyway, realistically they almost mirror each other... We have humans on both sides. Tall dudes, just ones a robot and ones a statue. and we have different types of half animal people... If people get caught up on the story and/or personality of a certain race, then I think they will understand how they fit into the lore and why they are where they are.
    Apostate likes this.
  20. Neurotic Cucpake

Neurotic Cucpake Cupcake-About-Town

It would do nothing of the sort. Anymore than a Russian defecting to the United States somehow "throws away" world history. You know, just like how the Humans defected from the Cassians. Factions are organizations comprised of individuals. Only the one-dimensional writing forced down your throats by nearly every MMO that's used the system tells you that they're somehow set in stone.