1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Defection / Faction Change?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Edymnion, May 25, 2013.

1. Silas Jasar

Silas Jasar Cupcake-About-Town

Its about faction identity, not lore. You start homogenizing the things that players identify with in each faction then why have factions at all. Might as well have red team and blue team. They have made it very clear that artistic style and design are a major factor in this game. The stlye of the race blends with the rest of the races in the faction. You start mixing and matching and all that work goes kaput.
    Sera Serenity likes this.
  2. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Russia and America were never in a shooting war. Anyways, the Exile/Cassian relationship is less like the Cold War and more like the American Revolution. Except it's not even like that, because the stakes are much higher. I wouldn't even compare it to the defection of German scientists in WW2. That was a case of a regime gone out of control, there was very little personal enmity between the combatants. Before a certain fellow went raving mad with power, anyways.

In any case, the Dominion/Exiles thing is really more of a blood feud at this point. I don't think the Dominion would employ a granok mercenary, the granok smashed their emissaries to pieces. That's not the kind of thing an empire built on conquest allows. Similarly, I don't see the nature-loving aurin forgiving the Dominion for bulldozing their homeworld. The mechari take great pride in being the handiwork of the Eldan and consider themselves the stewards of the Dominion, and the faction not only considers them indispensable but shares their goal of discovering more about their creators. The Dominion is an Eldan creation, too. I can't see many mechari turning their back on that. The draken, meanwhile, have shown no regard whatsoever for humanitarian concerns so far. The Dominion, as an expansionist agency of conquest, promises them endless bloodshed. The peace-loving Exiles... notsomuch. Even if a draken were willing to make himself a pariah by violating tribal tradition and jumping ship, what would he get out of it? Why would he do it?

Which isn't to say that it's all IMPOSSIBLE, just... very, very unlikely. I personally don't care to see such a feature in the game, largely because I feel like the unique races are what give the factions so much of their distinctive identities, but if it -did- happen... I would definitely want it to require a significant amount of player investment. Something to reflect just how deeply against the grain they're going.
    Airhammer likes this.
  3. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

This, too. Both as a conceptual matter and as a very real, present matter in the sense that I will be very sad if my Dominion characters are surrounded by catbunnies.
    Airhammer likes this.
  4. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

Out of the billions of beings who are members of the eight playable races, I'm sure there would be an occasional defector or opportunist. You don't get to play one of those people, just like you don't get to play one of the faction leaders, or an Aurin Warrior, or a character who's mastered the arts of both the Esper and the Stalker. You don't get to be Mary Sue the good-aligned half-Drow half-dragon half-rakshasa with her violet eyes and permanent godmode, either. Sometimes roleplaying has to be limited, even in small groups.

If people could simply create all of the races for either faction, it wouldn't be a case where the occasional character defected. The result would be a game where you'd be as likely to see a Draken walking around the Exile capital as the Dominion capital, which gives a feeling of dull sameness to the game and makes its lore seem ridiculous. I could perhaps tolerate a very long, very difficult quest to change factions...on PvE servers, if the defector was then disabled from playing in warzones or other kinds of PvP. Being the odd Chua out gives someone an advantage, because Dominion players will associate Chua-shaped players with "friend" and react more slowly. I'm guessing this sort of quest chain wouldn't be terribly popular and that only a few players would take advantage of it, which makes me think the resources would be better spent elsewhere.

I sympathize with the issue of friends wanting to play one faction and individual players disliking the available races, but I think the best way of handling that problem is by trying to create mirrors on each side of the faction lines, not doing things that take away from the faction rivalries or that are easily exploited for PvP purposes.
    Sera Serenity likes this.
  5. Airhammer

Airhammer Cupcake

I can definitely see where you are coming from. I did list my reasons I thought defection was unlikely/impossible for each race. I know some of them are stretching it a bit, but if one can defect, none can. Its just not fair.

And unlike the Russians, these guys have more personal reasons for fighting. I wouldn't call it two dimensional writing at all. Honestly, whatever medium for faction changing they threw in would be the two dimensional part... Each race has a strong reason for doing what they are doing. It would weaken their character and their faction's character to let them change sides.
  6. Neurotic Cucpake

Neurotic Cucpake Cupcake-About-Town

You mean like the Humans not calling themselves Cassians, but still being the same race in every conceivable way save for faction allegience and personal outlook?

Sorry, any and all arguments you could possibly come up with are utterly negated by the existence of the Cassians and Humans. They're the living embodiment of the concept of faction changing and are a core part of the game already.
  7. Airhammer

Airhammer Cupcake

Not really. Humans splitting are start of the faction creation. They went on to form the Exiles. Its not like the humans are born and then pick a side later. You can't compare part of the lore that formed the factions to people just switching sides mid fight. Not the same, not even close.

The Exiles are fighting for their survival, they wouldn't trust a deserter. And the Dominion are trying to exterminate traitors, no way they'd let a traitor whose trying to be a traitor again back in....
  8. Nezk

Nezk Cupcake

I would murda any Aurin or Human that dares seek peace between the Dominion
  9. Nienie

Nienie WSC Background Designer 2013

My major concern right now is that I'm going to be forced only to make characters on one faction. I like races on either side and I would hate to be forced to roll a character that I do not like. If I make an Aurin as my main, does this mean I'm restricted to only making Aurins for the rest of my time in-game, because I dislike the Granok and Humans? Seems unnecessarily restrictive to me and I sincerely hope it will not be the case.

I'm set on playing Aurin as my main but I have a friend who will probably want to play as a Mechari or Draken. The issue is we might never get to actually play together. By restricting choices you end up either making friends unhappy by forcing them to play a race they hate, or forcing people to play apart from one another.
    I get the point from a PvP and roleplay point of view, but for people who just want to play PvE with their friends it seems restrictive.
  10. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

They understood this because they made humans on both side which is what the majority of people with this problem face. Human's only being playable by one side. So they made them playable for both. That is more then enough in meeting people half way with this problem.

If you like Aurin so much what's the problem with you playing a Chua? They are just as fury just short. May have a very different backstory but based on appearance their isn't much difference at all.

The game developers can't 100% please everyone's special problem.