1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Design A Wildstar Class!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Xlugon Pyro, May 18, 2013.

1. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

As we all know, there are two (soon to be none hopefully) unrevealed classes at this point. However, many of us are hoping for different things since we're not quite satisfied with the classes that are already revealed or a certain playstyle is unavailable to our preferred race. From what I understand, all classes will be capable of fulfilling two of the three trinity roles, and given how the classes are currently organized, there's reason to believe that both will be DPS capable with one also being tanking capable as the other is healing capable. Furthermore, Wildstar is a sci-fi MMO with magic in addition to tech, making it unique from several other MMOs and franchises we're previously used to. This means there are countless possibilities for unique types of classes.

With that said, what kind of class ideas for Wildstar do you all have? Feel free to be as creative as you want but make sure it can fit in with the Wildstar universe. Here is a list of certain topics that might be worth covering so we have an idea of what your class is all about!

Name: Herp.
    Races: What races can be this class?
    Roles: Which pair of two roles can this class be? Pick two: Tank, Healer, or DPS
    Weapons: What kinds of weapons does this class use?
    Armor: Light, medium, or heavy armor?
    Attributes: Which do they use for their respective roles?
    Description: Explain what this class is all about, what they're good at, and how their abilities function. Get as detailed as you like.
    Skills: What abilities can they use? Name them and describe what they do. Create as many as you like.

You can try to guess what the classes will be for real too, but remember that this isn't a speculative thread (those already exist) but a fun thread meant to inspire the community's creativity! Have at it then, you pimply swine!
  2. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Huh no replies at all here? This is me extrapolating off of some stuff I read so far and the speculations that were going on. Might as well write something up :D

Name: Techpriest
    Races: I'm thinking the magical/technical affinity ones
    Roles: Healer/DPS
    Weapons: Staff
    Armor: Hard to say, medium perhaps.
    Attributes: Wisdom/Int, could be changed
    Description: Basically the class is about two major things. Enhancing your friends, weakening the enemies. In the healer role, you bestow wards on people to prevent damage and reactive heals (aka cast on enemy. players hit enemy, receive heals) on enemies to top off damage done. In the DPS role, your attacks enhance your allies by means of buffs, or weaken and harm enemies via straight up dps and debuffs. Additionally some CC like snares or roots that break on damage.
    Skills: I wont go into too much detail. Mostly wards for single and group targets, and reactive heal spells that you throw on an enemy to let attackers leech heals off them. On the debuff side, slows, defense debuffs and the like, whilst buffing bestows haste, assault power and other things. The damaging skills themselves could be DoTs, that tick damage while radiating their other effects as well.

In the end the class is one that builds damage over time, but has some faster acting ones for small targets. It is group support, but also has good survivability and damage thanks to the healing/warding and debuffs. The burst damage is low, but by chaining DoTs on enemies, yo u can keep yourself at an advantage while things around you slowly keel over.
    Alverad likes this.
  3. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

I don't know if this is feasible or that original, but I gave it a shot haha.

Name: Battlemage archtype (can't think of good name)
    Races: Human/Cassian
    Roles: Which pair of two roles can this class be? Pick two: Healer, DPS
    Weapons: What kinds of weapons does this class use? sword and shield
    Armor: Heavy armor
    Attributes: Magic/Wisdom
    Description: I have always enjoyed battlemage type classes when available in games. I love the look of heavy armor, but prefer healing and RDPS play style.

Healing: The support/healing aspect of the class would consist of a lot of of single target heals, and aoe ground heals. I like higher APM type classes, and very fast reaction type healing. Also it would be nice to have a nice utility kit as well. Think paladin in wow a bit, maybe. so maybe single player/raidwide damage reductions, threat drops, etc. I know its not revolutionary, but it's a play style I prefer.

Dps: Would like it to be somewhat mobile. Maybe stacking some instant casts on targets , and shorter cast abilities to charge a secondary resource to unleash bursts of damage periodically. In PvE, this would give him decent sustain, with periodic bursts. For PvP, the key would be to play defensive and use mobility until you can burst your enemy down. You might need a defensive or two maybe to survive initial burst damage from other classes. Not sure.

Skills:
    Healing:
    Single target heals
    Aoe ground heals.
    Lacksts Hots

Utility:
    Raid/Single target damage reduction CD's
    Threat reduction

DPS:
    Instant cast/short casts
    Mobility
    Periodic burst
    Would probably need longer CD timers to compensate for high mobility/instacasts
  4. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

pretty sure Esper or Spellslinger is the equivalent of Battlemage.
  5. Hakuga

Hakuga New Cupcake

Name: Elden Priest

Races: All races of both factions

Roles: Healer DPS

Weapons: Hammer

Armor: Heavy Armor

Attributes: Want to heal, but don't want to watch bars all day? Want to melee dps, but also contribute to your party? Unlike those "other" classes. Idiots... then Elden Priest is for you!

Description: The Elden Priests are a covenant who studies the Elden, and through these studies have gained much knowledge about the workings of the universe, and it's more... mysterious forces. One artifact in particular they worship above all others. The stone of Wrath. It's surfaces are infinitely smooth, impossibly so. Inky black and perfect, in ways no mortal mind can understand. The Priests have based their entire lives around it's words. Clawed across the face is written, "The only path to universal peace, is true strength."

Because of this belief, the Priests choose the hammer. The object they believe emphasizes their own, personal strength. The bigger the hammer, the stronger you are...

Having arrived on the planet Nexus after both the Dominion, and the Exiles, the priests understood the need to part ways with their brothers. The only path to a true unification, was strength after all. Down the middle they divided, half to the exiles, and have to the Dominion. Each half, wanting to prove to the other who's strength was greater...

The Elden Priest is a melee healing and dps class that can provide healing, powerful support buffs, dps, or anything in between! It uses a massive 2h hammer and melee combat to provide it's party with unrivaled support in any form. This classes power comes from three different "Elden Aura's", only one of which can be active at a time.

The first Aura "Reincarnate", converts all of your damage into %'s of healing for the party, with abilities to focus all the healing into one target, or to sprinkle it out over the raid. All healing done through specialized healing abilities is increased in this form. If you want to smash things, and also heal your party, this is the Aura for you.

The second Aura "Decimate", is the pure dps aura. Increasing your total damage done, and giving many of your abilities bonuses. For instance, instead of dealing strictly damage, an ability might also stun or knockdown the opponent. If you want to smash things, this is the Aura for you.

The third and final Aura is "Invigorate." This aura gives each of your abilities a party wide buff for short periods of time. Adding damage, or light healing, among other things. Stacking these buffs will provide your party with huge damage increases, and mitigate a lot of damage taken. The trick here is ensuring the proper buffs are up at the proper time! Mitigating a lot of damage during a huge boss damage phase can save a party! But so can giving everyone more damage, for that last burn phase...So, if you like giving your party, (or war party!) the edge in a fight, this is the Aura for you!

Skills:
    Eh, i'm lazy. But each of these would have 3 different actions depending on the "Aura" Active.

Smash: Hit an enemy with a five strike combo. This ability applies a debuff to most enemies (and players). At 5 stacks, the target will be stunned for 1.5 seconds.

Hammer Time: Spin in a circle for X seconds (Channeled), cleaving anything within X yards. Can not be CC'd in any way during this cast. Can not move.
  6. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

Yea... not at all. Battlemage usually use blunt weapons or sword over, staffs (or guns), and wear heavier armor. The esper/spellslinger fit more into the standard mage arch-type than they do the battle/war-mage category.
  7. Drunkatm

Drunkatm New Cupcake

Im not gona get to crazy, and follow the guide the op started. But i will say the kind of char i would like to see would be something along the lines of a magic/alchemist like tank. Usually we see this as a dps, or healer. rarely do we see this as a tank class. So get creative of this if ya want.

The other thing i would like to see is a class that uses a whip for its main weapon. Yes like Indiana Jones style.
    That is where my mind is traveling with this make up a class.
  8. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Anything that can shapeshift, most fun I've ever had in an MMO was playing feral druid in WOW, due to the ability to change into different animals, give me something like that and I will be all over it.
  9. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

That would be pretty cool actually, but the role players would probably have a field day with that one!
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Lol those are only a minority of RPers. XD
  11. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

Yea, I know haha. That was just the first thing I thought of. Not sure what that says about me. :cautious:
  12. Xlugon Pyro

A LOT!!!
  13. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

I guess the "cat" out of the bag, or I guess I should say the "aurin". haha
  14. Trenan

Trenan New Cupcake

Well to try and figure out what class would be most likely, I looked at the stat combinations.

Warrior: Str, Tech
    Spellslinger: Dex, Wis
    Stalker: Dex, Tech
    Esper: Magic, Wis

That leaves 2 classes, with 2 possible combinations of unused stats. Assuming every class requires a DPS stat of Str, Dex, or Magic.

Possibilities:

Engineer: Str, Wisdom (strength dps, and heals)
    Alchemist : Magic, Tech (magic damage, and tanky)

These combinations would also give us 2 of every DPS type. Str x2, Dex x2, Magic x2. Now, if we wanted to try and balance things out even more, we could make each DPS stat melee and ranged respectively. Which would make the Engineer ranged dps, and Alchemist melee dps. DEX has Stalker for melee dps, and Spellslinger for ranged.

Engineer:
    Traditionally speaking, Engineers use robotic pets to deal damage, support, and heal players. This would fit nicely within the game, and also give a "pet" class, which is not accounted for. We also have screenshots of bazookas and rifles, which would fit the role for a physical type ranged DPS.

Alchemist:
    Perfect concoction of technology and magic is alchemy, and we already have seen evidence of alchemic activity in the game, especially with the scientist path. I would love to see alchemists with a Tech shield of some sort for equipment. Alchemists could also serve as the "shapeshifting" class, which is desired by many players.

Alchemist can simply chug a brew which transforms them into something, which better fits the situation. IE: big tanky abomination Mr. Hyde style.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Alright, my turn!

Name: Technist (Engineer)
    Races: Cassian, Granok, Human, Mechari
    Roles: Tank, DPS
    Weapons: Bayoneted rifle or laser gun, mechanical axe, hammer, or chainsaw
    Armor: Medium, possibly upgradable to Heavy
    Attributes: Tech, Moxie
    Description: The technist is what you'd call a "battle scientist". The masters of explosive, atomical, chemical, robotic, and biological warfare, they use the power of technology to mow down their opponents and reinforce their allies' defenses. Bombs, flamethrowers, chemical gases, freeze nukes, electric shocks, and just plain old cutting a foe down with several mechanical blades are all methods a technist can utilize to decapitate any foe. Likewise, their mastery of nanotechnology and the chemicals in their arsenal allow the technist the ability to boost their bodies' offensive and especially defensive capabilities so they can go berserk on a mob in a desperate situation or reinforce their bloodstream and accelerate their healing capabilities so that they can keep the enemy at bay and protect their allies. Technists are the brainy fighters that know how to tackle any obstacle using the power of their intelligence, science, and even a little bit of mysticism.
    Skills: To be added!
  16. CWFWS1

CWFWS1 Cupcake

I'm too lazy at the moment and it's too late for me to want to design a class, but....

I would like to say that the interview I saw last night leaves me with hope for hybrid situations.

I've always loved the idea of a combat medic type of 'class', so if I could design one I would go with something like that.

Think SWG's combat medic as the closest I can come up with.

Being able to throw out some healing while also using a ranged weapon like a rifle for light damage and also throwing out some poison/disease packs at the enemies that might not do any/much damage, but instead debuff the enemies (slowing their strategy or making them re-think it altogether....it's just fun and intriguing to me. I like having to balance offense and defense, while really feeling effective but not overpowered.

That's a hard thing for a lot of games to achieve, too. Hybrid classes are generally too overpowered or too nerfed. Finding that balance...well, I don't envy the devs there. I guess the thing Carbine has going for them in this regard is they 'seem' to be looking well enough at hybrid play before launch and they've taken the time to learn from a lot of other mmo's.
  17. Dex Charisma

Dex Charisma Cupcake

These are always fun. They always seem to come back to old D&D archetypes, but a sci-fi setting can give familiar classes a new feel. How about this one? Kinda similar to Esper, but it's primarily a pet class.

Name: Nanotic
    Races: Any
    Roles: DPS, Tank
    Weapons: Electrical Whip/Leash, Nanite Swarm
    Armor: Light
    Attributes: Tech, Wisdom

Description: Pet class. Controls swarm of intelligent nanomachines that take various offensive and defensive forms.

Skills: In Pet Mode, nanites combine into a variety of forms that perform either electrical or physical attacks, and that focus on pet offense/defense depending on their configuration. This is the safest mode with decent sustained DPS, pet maintaining aggro, and Nanotic attacking from range.

Short-duration stun+DD electrical cloud and heavy injected-nanite DoT are available in Spell Mode once pet form is destroyed (think short circuits resulting in loss of physical integrity). These spell-like abilities provide damage and stuns/interrupts, while the nanites recharge for reassembly into their primary pet forms.

In symbiosis mode, nanites form strong protective defensive barrier around Nanotic and/or add their collective charges to Nanotic's electric whip. High short-term defense or high burst DPS available in this mode.

Note: Could also see nanites used for healing and this being a strong support class, but I think the DPS/Tank route is a little more interesting.
  18. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Pretty much how I'd think of new classes is by thinking of cool weapons and working from there - Scythe, Spear, Whip....
  19. Maurodax

Maurodax Cupcake

Alright, i'm gonna amuse you Xlugon, my friend! ;)

Name:
    Netherwalker
    Races:
    Human/Cassian/Aurin/Draken
    Roles:
    Dps/healer
    Weapons:
    Scythe (always been a big fan of scythes, specially after playing Zazalamel from Soul Calibur 3)
    Armor:
    Light -> Medium (After a certain level)
    Attributes:
    Strenght/Wisdom
    Description:
    The Netherwalker is a person who controls the very fabric of life, he can take the life force from a foe and transfer it to himself or to allies, he also uses his scythe to cut his enemies bond with the planet Nexus.

To become a Netherwalker one must have studied the ancient arts of Zleagak, arts shrouded in mystery, many long to learn it but only a few has succeded. And those that have? They have become fearsome foes or powerfull allies in this war between the Exiles and the Dominion.
    Skills:
    Bloodtransfusion - Transfers blood from foes to himself or to allies, the heal to allies will be smaller but no limit to how many he can give life too, the only limit is the foes HP.
    Scythe Slash - A wide arch slash that hurts enemies in a cone infront of the Netherwalker, gives a slight amount of HP back if the Netherwalker has Blooddrinker activated.
    Blooddrinker - A buff for a set amount of time, that gives each special ability some lifesteal.
    BondBreaker - BondBreaker is an ability that breaks the enemies lifebond, by doing so you inflict a debuff that cancels any regenerate ability the foe might have (weaker vs bosses) aswell as inflicting another debuff on the enemy that increases damage taken (also weaker vs bosses).

This was just one class, might update my post to add another one. :)