1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Discussion: Guilds, Clans and Associations. Oh my.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Autumnal, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Muah-ha-ha!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in-depth, (if at all) is guilds/clans/associations/lodges, ect.

Discuss.
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

A fine discussion point, that deserves to be it's own thread. Consider it now it's own thread. /Mod
  3. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Hehe, I knew someone would start this thread after reading Autumnals' comment.

Anyway, I guess the first point is are all of these necessary? Obviously guilds are nice to have for friends, etc. I think another nice to have would be an association/chapter/lodge/guild for each path.

My thoughts on the path guilds would be to have small bonuses to achievement or skill growth when you have members higher than you that are willing to share their knowledge. This type of guild could cost in-game currency to be a part of to offset the cost of gaining a small amount. The one that shares the most knowledge could also get more rewards possibly in the form of maybe part of the dues? These guilds could also share materials in the case of settlers especially. Another possibility would be throwing guild parties instead of individual ones so all the members could gain the experience. The ones in attendance would get most with those not in attendance getting a much smaller amount.

Just throwing out ideas.
  4. Zap-Robo

For me, I think it's time for something different to be done with guilds. Warhammer Online had a great levelling guild system that I enjoyed out the gate, but 9/10 when I'm gaming these days I'm either with a PUG or solo.

Failing that, then I do like the idea of a guild that gets levels and benefits associated with that. Guild housing should offer some sort of quick travel for members (at a certain guild level).

For me, just transplant and reskin WAR's guild setup and I'll be happy enough :)
  5. aspira

aspira Founding Member

I would love guild housing and a guild trophy system like LotRO. So other people can walk by your guild house and you can have like a Balrog's head on your front lawn... nothing quite like rubbing your guilds achievements in your neighboring guilds face!!! :p

Also, being able to upload your own guild logo like in Aion would be awesome. That was a really nice feature.
  6. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

I have seen a lot of features, in other games, that I would like to see in WS, relating to "guilds". In most cases, these systems involved rewards that had to be "developed" by mutual teamwork, in regards to Guild Quests, often not solo-able, that opened up 'tech trees', or Guild "base" features.

These 'perks' were only obtainable by consistent teamwork, and steadfast effort..the way "it should be".
    IMO, a 'proper' guild is the epitome of mutual trust, support, and camaraderie, where there are no "noobs", just "new players". Human nature, being what it is, often makes "I" more desirable than "We". Given a common purpose, however, a Guild can make "what's good for 'Us' is good for 'Me'..."

If anyone can bring fresh new Guild concepts to gaming, it'll be Carbine. So, umm..about that WSC Guild...
    starspun and aspira like this.
  7. aspira

aspira Founding Member

Very well said Autumnal.
  8. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

I've played far too many online games. Far too many. The only guild system I've ever really enjoyed was in a game called "Wish" that vanished while still in beta.

In Wish, your character started in a town. The moment your character appeared ingame you were placed in three "guilds": hometown, race, trade. The UI allowed you to turn the chat windows for each of these guilds on or off. You were free to change your hometown and trade guild anytime you liked, but you had to seek out and find the Mayor of the town you wanted to shift to or the NPC Guildmaster for the trade guild. Naturally you were always a member of the same race guild, but you could easily opt out of race guild notifications, chat, and whatnot.

In addition to the three automatic guilds, players could create their own guild of friends and allies.

Finding a pick-up group in Wish was far easier than any game I've ever played. Because you were automatically in three general guilds, a group invite request in any one of the three generated instant responses. Most of the time when I grouped I joined groups in the hometown guild. There were enough players during the beta that no matter where I was in the limited closed beta world, there was almost always someone from my character's hometown nearby.

Automatic inclusion in the three general guilds also dramatically simplified GM events. If a GM initiated an undead invasion of a town, for example, alerts immediately went out in all three general channels and anyone who wanted to participate could race home and defend their town. When a giant monster appeared, the call would go out in all three general channels and people would race to the monster's location. The alerts and calls were not automated. Players immediately got into the habit of using the general guild channels to build groups or sent out alerts.

If you felt like soloing, a few clicks would shut down the general guild channels and you could quest, hunt, or explore to your heart's content without being besieged by group invites or alerts. Reopening the windows was a few simple keystrokes, or if you couldn't remember the keystrokes, easy to find menu items.

In City of Heroes one of the minor, petty annoyances is zoning into a popular zone only to find your general chat window filled with "lvl XX such-and-such lfg!" Never once did I see such a message in Wish.
    VooDoo likes this.
  9. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

The Wish one sounds interesting. I followed Wish for a long time but never got in any beta/alpha. Did the auto-guilds have any benefits for the player other than making it easier to find groups and making events simpler?
  10. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

Not sure what you mean by "benefits"?

Automatic enrollment in three general guilds made it far easier to find like-minded players or players pursuing similar goals. Any player-to-player interaction was simplified far more than a single general chat channel (which is what most online games have) filled with random players and characters. It benefited trade, crafting, sharing recipes, finding allies, reporting bugs, etc.

For example, let's say I manage to find 100 iron in Lineage II. I can store it, sell it to an NPC, or craft it, and that's about it. In Wish, I just put the word out in the Blacksmith channel and immediately people let me know what they needed and how much they needed. We'd arrange a place to meet (beta, so no ingame mail system) and make the swap. The only similar thing I could possibly do in Lineage II is pick a major town, set up a player shop with a price I want, and then walk off to have lunch while I wait for someone to come along and buy my iron. (Although Lineage II does have an auction house now, which helps.)

My Wish character was a member of the Mining and Blacksmith guilds. There were many times when I'd end the day by swapping items (iron for copper, etc.) or selling items through one of the guild channels for a far better price than I could get from an NPC merchant. For some reason most of my recipes wound up needing copper but most of my mining turned up iron. I wouldn't be surprised if the game was designed that way in order to encourage player interaction.

I played WoW for awhile, but didn't enjoy either the mining or the crafting system. The fishing and cooking were as nice as Wish, although far more limited. In Wish you gathered wood to build a fire, various kind of meat, grains, and spices. The kind of wood determined whether it was hot, short fire or a milder, longer-lasting fire. Some woods, like hickory or maple, added flavor when you used them as cookfires. You could "discover" new recipes by mixing ingredients before cooking them. It helped to have a pack animal for a pet so you could carry more items, a nice feature I've never encountered in a different game. To get a pack animal you could buy one or you could "charm" a wild one.

Everything about the design of Wish encouraged roleplaying. It was the single most roleplayer friendly game I've yet encountered. It vanished because the two groups behind it (one controlled the game engine the other the artwork) ran into some irreconcilable personal differences. Of the dozens of games I've beta-tested and then watched vanish, Wish and Auto Assault are the only two I genuinely miss.
  11. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

not often I see someone mention "Wish" much less someone who had a chance to be part of the testing community. Just wanted to say "Hi", I was also among the testers for that awesome game. Its a shame that they pulled the plug on that, it was very inventive.

aside from that, I have to agree with what you posted.. back to the topic ;)
    Brotoi likes this.
  12. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I meant benefits as in did you get a little extra skill gain for being part of the guild, stuff like that. Since you character was part of the Mining and Blacksmithing guild, were you able to make better products than someone not in the guild? Along those lines.

Sounds like Wish would have been a game that could have gone far if they didn't have the bickering and close it down.
  13. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

I've never played Aion but this feature sound awesome.
  14. aspira

aspira Founding Member

It really was cool.

I'm not trying to advertise the guild by posting this link, but if you check out this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRqHR95Le78) you can see a random video of us showing off our new PvP epeen armor and all the banners on the fortresses and artifacts have our uploaded guild logo on it. Also the guild cloaks also show the logo and you could remodel your shield to also show the guild logo.

It was an amazing feature that allowed every guild to add their own unique touch to the game so they coudl be identified on the battlefield.

I would love for this to be a feature in Wildstar.
  15. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

That is most exciting because I am currently a member of an online community of gamers that has a presence in several mmo's. We have a logo for the website that we can't use in any of those games. At a minimum it would be cool to be able to create a logo MS Paint style if your guild had a decent enough artist. Of course then you might get some pretty awful looking banners and cloaks, but maybe that should be the legacy of a guild that can't find an artist or stick with the stock logos.
  16. Zap-Robo

The problem with that kind of feature is it creates extra GM work/effort to vet all the logos and you can end up with some logos that are . I preferred the WAR method - a large stock of premade icons and once it has been picked then it's your Guild logo only, and can't be reused. It also needed a certain guild level to pick, so not every guild just starting out got to pick from the cache of icons.

Combine that with the Fleet Logo system from Star Trek Online and you'd have a winner :)
  17. aspira

aspira Founding Member

Very few people actually ever used stuff that was racist/explicit/etc. in Aion. The few that did get reported and banned.

The extra effort it generates is massively outweighed by the greatness of the feature. Having a guild logo that consists of random shapes and symbols given to me by the game is a bit meh. Being able to represent your guild with you actual guild logo and not some mish-mash of ingame symbols make the game feel that bit better. Especially in PvP when you are fighting under your guilds banner.