1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Disliking Wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Rentah, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Somebody dared say they dislike something about WildStar???

*starts passing around torches and pitchforks*
    Renrawr likes this.
  2. Xostro

Xostro Cupcake

Sir, This is the modern era.

"Starts passing out machine guns and voice guided missiles"
    Xlugon Pyro, Renrawr and Kataryna like this.
  3. Sakorath67

Sakorath67 Cupcake

- The UI needs some major work. Currently, from videos, it looks very cluttered and things overlap eachother.
    - When someone is picking up a quest in the videos the quest giver isn't very noticeable, it seems.
    - Combat getting old because of a limited amount of abilities (like gw2)
    - The lack of info on starter zones.
    - Poor customization options
    - Enemy mobs... they just chase and auto attack and occasionally do a telegraph. Looks annoying.
    - The lack of info on crafting, and how to go about getting resources.
    - Movements on some races
    - lack of info on stuff... if I havent mentioned it.
  4. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

*sighs*

Nobody appreciates the classics anymore...
  5. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

I dislike people who dislike WS.
    There I said it!
    binzer and Renrawr like this.
  6. Renrawr

Renrawr New Cupcake

How can you NOT like the UI? It's perfect. And I can't think of anything I dislike about the game right now, I really think this is going to be the WoW killer. I know everyone says that about a new MMO but this one's different...
  7. binzer

binzer Cupcake

Now that I think about it, /agree! It's pretty much the same as how I feel about people who don't like dogs. I just don't understand their brains.
  8. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

1) Segregated Gear Sets (PvP vs PvE vs Solo gear)

The devs have hinted at having separate stats so that in order to participate in a given activity, you need a gear set gained from that activity in order to be competitive. Whilst I understand the design principles behind this (it stops hardcore raiders dominating pvp through gear advantages and vice versa) in reality it just kills off the pvp community by creating too big gear gaps between the hardcores and the casuals. As someone who enjoys all activities but who also works, this is something that will prevent me buying the game as it would force me down one path or the other and just end up with me being bored and frustrated.

2) Vertical Gear Progression

Also known as tiered raiding, vertical gear progression allows the user to feel a sense of progression at endgame whilst (usually) killing off options and choice. My primary problem, however, is that vertical gear progression involves creating massive gear gaps that segregate the community (making it harder to find groups) and make lower tiered content obsolete before its time (therefore reducing your choices for endgame activities). Horizontal gear progression is the better choice for long term survival of an MMO as it keeps more content relevant for longer, keeps the community together and by its very nature encourages emergant gameplay (i.e. different ways to play the same game) this reducing long term boredom.

3) Class Design / Raid Design

This is more of an unknown rather than something I know of. In most MMOs, class design and raid design force the player down a cookie cutter route in order to achieve success. If you are a DPSer, generally you have to spec for maximum DPS which means speccing and gearing a certain way. It is usually the result of lazy raid design. Given that Gaffney founded Turbine who made LOTRO, I am hopeful that Wildstar can avoid cookie cutter builds through clever dungeon design. For example, in the 5 years I played LOTRO there was never once a cookie cutter spec for my class, the captain, because there were so many useful builds to choose from and it all depended upon your group and the dungeon you were in.

The common thing tying these three points together? OPTIONS! In my opinion, the best computer games are the ones that can suit your every mood and that can only be done if the game offers you lots of options for the way you play. Feeling angry? Log in and mindlessly kill stuff for hours! Feeling social? Log in, do some crafting and chat to your guildies. Feeling competitive? Get some friends and do some ranked arenas.

Wildstar has set itself up so that all the possibilities are there and that, in theory, the game can match your mood and offer a playstyle that suits how you feel. However, as they release more information we are seeing systems, such as gear segregation, which will prevent a player being able to the play the game the way they want. For example, say someone who mostly raids fancies doing some pvp. Well, they are gonna have to grind for a week before they can enjoy it due to gear segregation. Fancing raiding with your friends? Tough luck, you need to spend a few weeks grinding old dungeons to get the gear to join your friends.

Such barriers, whilst serving one purpose, seem to drive away more players than they help retain. I am hoping Wildstar wont make that mistake.
    Luc likes this.
  9. Bifurcation

Bifurcation Cupcake

1) Combo points for healing
    I'm not completely sold on this combo combat for esper healing.
    I prefer it when it is the uniqueness of each individual healing spell that adds to the complexity of healing. On the other hand, I could love it.

2) Individual ELO rating

I have doubts about the ELO rating system.
    It's awesome that there is an ElO rating for each one of the 3 pvp features, but....
    I'm just not a big fan of organized pvp. I'm hoping there will be the option of rated pug vs. pug bgs.
  10. Asheron909

Asheron909 New Cupcake

So far I'm not liking 3 things about Wildstar:

#1 Detachment from All Available Classes (so far)
    (Note this reason in purely personal) Now there are 2 unannounced classes, so my opinion on this could change, but so far all are the Dpsy type classes that we see in Rpgs: Arms/2-handed warrior, Range-physical gunslinger, Rogue stealthy attacker, and Mage-est class. The last 2 are being speculated as an engineer with tinker abilities, a ranged commando type rifle user, and a melee staff medic. Now I've always gravitate toward the juggernaut-ish, slow at killing, but never dies kind of class. Prot Pally (WoW), Block, Heavy Armor, Healing (Skyrim), etc, etc, etc... I just like being a wall. I was hoping to see a tech class that uses Plasma Shields like the jackals on Halo that would give you a 2-3 charge block, so you have an extra layer of protection, out of dodges or won't make it out of the hit box in time? No problem, just use a charge of your shield to tank the hit. Now the main reason for this is Carbine Studios wanted to address the problem of nobody wanting to be tanks or healers (for their difficulty) by making every class have Dps and Heal or Tank, so that Tanks and Heals can level up faster with their Dps and Dps can go into dungeons as Tanks and Healers if they choose. I was hoping they might release a Tank/Healer class that I could really latch onto and enjoy, but it doesn't look like they're going to do that, and I hate play "squishy" tanks and healers because if I'm a tank or healer I want to make sure everyone else KNOWS I'm a Tank or Healer, which bring me into point #2...

#2 No Defined Roles Going into a Dungeon
    Arms Warrior Tanks? Feral Druid Heals? People that have played WoW know how troublesome these wolves in sheep clothing can be. Without a definite way to tell what roles who plays there will be no way of knowing if your groups wiping because you're doing something wrong or because your "Tank" or "Healer" is actually a Dps. With how difficult the dungeons are looking already not having a clearly defined Healer, or especially, Tank role that can be clearly seen and defined grouping may become a complete nightmare to perform as PUGs making the game become a Guild or die situation which can really put off a lot of new or solo oriented players. Usually when you give players a choice of play something easy where you get awesome damage and have no real responsibility and playing a role that's extremely hard and their minor mistakes will cause group wipes and people will MAKE SURE to blame them for every wipe even if it isn't their fault, what do you thing players are going to choose?

#3 Dungeon Levels becoming too Hard too Fast
    While this issue might be dealt with before release, from the video of them going through a mid level dungeon the bosses seem EXTREMELY hard. ( ) Now for a single GM with invincibility on it's easy but think of how a 4-5 man group would do on most these bosses when heals have to be aimed and tanks have to taunt right to maintain threat. It'd honestly be wipe, after wipe, after wipe. I'm not one to complain, but this game looks like I'm only going to be doing anything with my guild, which isn't a bad thing, but if they want to bring in new people that don't play MMO's or even Rpgs much they're gonna have to tone it down a LOT. I know most of my friends wouldn't have started playing WoW with me if Gnomer, SML, or RFK looked like that dungeon.

These things are subject to change, but from released footage that they have so far this is my biggest issues with the game that I've seen.
  11. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Solo Dungeons = WS version of LFR = Welfare epics
  12. Ahkronn

Ahkronn Cupcake

Oh there's something to dislike alright.

It's not out yet! Outrageous!

Beside that, you'll have to ask the half-empty-cup-kind-of-people. I'm an half-full kinda guy so... yeah... I'm boring and not good enough at being the bitter ol'man.
    Bifurcation likes this.
  13. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

You're allowed to look forward and love something and still recognize its flaws, you know. I worry more about the people who think its going to be perfect than I do those who voice their concerns.
    Neurotic Cucpake and Silais like this.