1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Do not add flying mounts in the game

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MiZTiiX, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

You may think they are cool but they are not:

1) the world feels much smaller, the highest mountains are not high anymore
    2) world feels less dangerous, you do not have to think about awareness of enemies.
    3) allows you to bypass content
    4) will hardly encounter other players
    5) world pvp will be affected if you add flying
    6) things like the jumping puzzles in your game will become worthless.
    7)too convenient
    8) nothing will feel epic anymore
    9) the amazing and beautiful graphics will not become under appreciated as everyone will just fly past it without looking.

These are all the experienced ive had with flying mounts. After playing WOW, their bigegst mistake was implementing free flying and now they can't go back. The world feels so small now.
    Angelo Cocco likes this.
  2. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I agree with nearly everything you say, but it would be cool if they had floating islands that you can only get to with Flying Mounts. Unfortunately, it would mean that the jumping puzzles are worthless.

I did enjoy WoW the most when there weren't flying mounts. Though, flying mounts allowed for easy ganks so...
    Angelo Cocco likes this.
  3. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I too hope they skip the flying mounts. I do not mind having a flying "taxi" to the floating islands if that is how we get there, but no personal mounts that fly.
    GrimDinosaur and MiZTiiX like this.
  4. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I can agree. I am not a big fan of flying mounts. However, I wouldn't object to like a jet pack, which allows you to "fly" at a good height, but nothing above the canopy, or the mountains.
  5. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

I also agree. Flying mounts ruin a game. Flying taxis is as far as I would be willing to concede. Jet packs might be cool but only if you can't get much higher than a double jump.
    GrimDinosaur likes this.
  6. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

that's exactly what i was thinking: make jet packs go as high as double jump :D
  7. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I agree. Keep them as a quest or area gimmik or taxi service. Flying mounts did pretty much ruin the way you saw world of warcraft. It felt much bigger in vanilla things off the beaten path had to take time to be found out how to get to. Why be an explorer if at max level or something, as a scientist, I can just fly around on my mount and explore all the same places anyway.
  8. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Actually, so long as the game is designed from the ground up for it (flying mob spawns, objects/places only accessible via flight to explore) then I see no issue with flying mounts/vehicles.

The issue really only comes when they are bolted on to a game world that wasn't designed with them in mind.

It's easy enough to cover something with a tree canopy, or rocky outcropping that would inhibit exploration by air. Additionally, remember that only Explorers can activate certain paths - which could be a cave entrance or something otherwise not visible by air!
  9. Tiktak

I am still a bit 'leery' about flying mounts. In WoW it removes a lot of the interaction with the world. Sure the scenery is nice, and you can get some very nice views of the game world, but at the cost of distancing yourself from things.

By interacting, I mean by having to move around to avoid enemies, trying to figure out just -how- to get to the objecting the quest marker is pointing to (You know the cool platforming and jumping mechanics?) that kind of thing.

If WildStar can have 'terrain' somehow, that you have to negotiate, enemies to avoid, even while flying then I can see no problems with flying mounts.

Basically I guess, it's a wait-and-see issue. Flying Mounts are traditionally a Elder Game thing and we have little information about that so far.
  10. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Not sure I totally agree. Even a game designed for flying mounts makes the game world smaller in terms of travel time. Lot of games are going along the route of making things less of a hassle, which is good in some cases. However, I think the hassle of exploring the world and having to know you are walking/running there adds to the environment and experience. Plus, it's a way to get rid of the cloud on the map in a hurry, which isn't a plus in my book. If you have a flying mount you can just fly around a new map and see most if not all the land without worry. If they did away with that part it would help the cause, but I still would rather not have personal flying mounts.
  11. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

That still dosen't solve the problem of the world being/feeling smaller. And being less likely to encounter other players/enemies, because you are at different altitudes/heights hurting world pvp and social interction. This will also make avoiding enemies even if they were in the sky.
  12. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

This is an interesting conversation; I've always been a fan of flying mounts so I'm enjoying reading other people's opinions.

Some of you mention that having flying mounts takes away from the exploration element of the game. But most games with flying mounts leave them as a high-level (or max-level) purchase, meaning that you spend the vast majority of the game without them. Do you still feel like that ruins exploration for you, even if you're spending the entire game exploring on foot as you level?
    Kookieduck likes this.
  13. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

It really depends on how THIS game is laid out. An Explorer, while yes makes discoveries on the ground level, would there be more for them to discover in Elder Game on a flying mount? If there is content in the skies as well as on the ground that is one thing. That would also make for a very "heavy" game especially with load times, lag, etc. (Maybe, just speculation)
    My biggest worry is community distance. If everyone takes to the skies, who's going to care about the poor <REDACTED> on the ground who couldn't afford his mount? Lol!
    But seriously, it really just depends on the content available. In WoW, for instance, there isn't any real content for taking to the skies. It's just fast.
  14. JarNod

First of all, most of the playtime will actually be at max-level (or at least in my experience it is). So most of your time, if you choose an explorer, a flying mount that allows you to get places where an explorer, previously, would be the only one able to get there, is rendered meaningless. I understand there will be areas in dungeons where flying is not allowed that an explorer can find something cool inside, but it still seems to cheapen the Explorer path.

I think more importantly, it devalues the size of the world. Sure, it's nice to be able to get around fast, and there are areas of the world that are inaccessible to anything other than flying mounts (like plains surrounded by impassable mountains), but the ability to drop from the sky, right on top of your quest target, I think, cheapens the whole questing experience.

Sure, it is frustrating to have to fight your way through mobs in order to get to that target, but as Syndrome says, "If everyone is special, no one is special." By that I mean, if things are easy to achieve, it lessens the impact of achieving them. So, sure, moving through space in a direct line makes it easy, but the world feels less epic now.

I should make my signature, "Just my 2 cents" because in reality, I am just stating opinions here. :p
    starspun and MiZTiiX like this.
  15. Tiktak

I think limited flying might work but basically the only good thing about a flying mount apart from the world perspective, is simply getting from A to B faster. The first one is fixed by playing an explorer and finding tall things to jump up to to look out across the beautiful world. The second is fixed by having faster land mounts! :p
  16. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

end game is the meat of any mmorpg, once you hit end game that is where you spend most of your hours, not leveling, but doing content at max level.
  17. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Well, where you spend most of you time anyhow - some of us like to play multiple characters simultaneously and seldom reach max level (in almost 7 years of City of Heroes I have only level-capped two or three characters).

If the journey to cap is entertaining, varied and expansive then it's the journey and not the destination for me!

And to those saying that it makes the world smaller... only if the world was designed on a flat plane. Once designers take the skies in mind, then you might be surprised.

As to loading issues - the game hardly needs to start loading anything much on the Z axis until your character has a method of traversing it... certainly addressable from an engine perspective I'd have thought.
    Kookieduck likes this.
  18. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

And once you get all charcters to mex level you will do endgame. That is how it works, in the "LONG" run flying mounts will ruin the game. Also, so far the zones we have seen have not been built to cater to flying, so if they did add flying it will feel tacked on. I see no way a game can make a world seem big with flying unless they make the world enourmous which would be a problem for people on the ground, or flying mounts can only hover, which at that point there is no point of flying. I just don't see flying mounts as a positive thing, i feel as if they cause more problems than fixing them
  19. JarNod

Floating islands in the sky would be a cool feature, but again, you would be using your flying mount to get to the quest objective. Fly right above the objective and then drop right on top of it. You effectively shrink the world to locations of quest hubs because you don't have to deal with any mobs except the ones in the aggro radius.

The only game that I've had a flying mount in was WoW and the point at which I got one, I essentially stopped fighting any mob I didn't have to. I stopped going through certain zones because I could fly over mountains. So, I don't mean "shrinking" the world literally, but rather that the world ends up being a series of small quest areas connected by the mounting and dismounting of my griffin
  20. Tiktak

Also... The End Game is different for each player. In 7 years of WoW I had 2 capped characters, not including ones I've deleted or didn't level after the cap was raised.

And one of those 2 I never played after hitting cap.

The other was my 'main'. And I spent my entire time chasing achievements, exploring the world and generally NOT really doing much 'End Game' raiding or Dungeon content.

She got Kingslayer btw. During Wrath. So I -have- done raiding. Lots of it. It's 'something I do when I have exhausted every other availible option, just so I don't get bored before the next expansion.' It's not my End Game.

None of my friends raid so much either.

1 Is a auction house wizard. He spends his time playing the Market PvP game, to steal EvE terminology. That's HIS Endgame

Another spends his time gathering achievements. much more enthusiastically than I do.

A third has a terminal case of Alt-a-holism... And each has a crazy (And linked) extensive RP backround mixed in with the WoW Lore. (No, none of them are the <REDACTED> child of Arthas And Jaina, or something equally stupid.)
    Kookieduck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.