1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Do not add flying mounts in the game

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MiZTiiX, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

I would be fine with flying mounts as long as the game was designed for it. As in, having aerial content. Preferably PvE and PvP aerial content. What ended up in WoW felt very ad hoc to me and just didn't seem to "fit" as well as the running mounts.
  2. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

As long as the game has a means of enhanced travel when needed I am perfectly fine with skipping the flying mounts. I also tended to fly over mountains or out of the way of busy areas. Of course I tend to play stealth or travel type classes to its come with the nature.

Personally, the absolute most fun traveling I ever had in a game was my druid in EverQuest with teleports and Spirit of Eagle. I could teleport to a general area and then run faster with a levitate. This let me reduce the drag of boring travel time while still doing exploring. While I could levitate over certain areas, I also ran headfirst into mobs all the time or ran over a big hill and smack into a giant. This keeps the bit of danger while enhancing the drudgery of traveling over the same area multiple times.

Another idea is that they could allow flying mounts in the settled areas but as you venture out into the unexplored area it becomes limited or no flight. Sort of the opposite of what WoW did originally. If they need to put a story element to it....flying is dangerous in an area where you do not know what may knock you out of the sky.
    ahamling27 likes this.
  3. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

OOo I like that.....sorta gotta complete the main questline in an area to unlock the ability to fly there...so you can't skip content etc the first time through but after that you can fly over if your in a rush...
  4. Kinky Kel

Kinky Kel New Cupcake

Why not have it so you have a 'fuel radius' in zones where in you're inside the radius you can fly, if you're outside you can't. You could also add, say, in the higher level areas which are less NPC populated, have a fuel station area which needs to be build by crafters (ie they need to build the modules that makeup the facility) and run by a guild? once it's up you need to keep it fueled, and maintained otherwise no one can fly in the area. If the guild that owns it goes inactive and doesn't pay the bill, it degrades and ends up in the hands of an NPC corp until another guild takes over.

You could also make them upgradeable to increase thier range etc.

Just thoughts anyway. Any kind of community interaction which would involve crafters rebuilding and/or building things in the world is a big + for me.
    ahamling27 likes this.
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

The idea is interesting. Although you should replace the fuel with loftite, the thing that makes everything float!
  6. Kinky Kel

Kinky Kel New Cupcake

I stated "Fuel" as it could encompass food for creature mounts and whatever chosen resource is used for vehicles. There are many ways to expand the idea.. if I get time tomorrow at work i'll flesh it out more.
  7. Spiritunicorn

Spiritunicorn New Cupcake

Am I allowed to say that I rather like the idea of flying mounts?
    They were fun in Vanguard, which also has a seamless world open for exploring.
    I also like the idea of personal flight, jet-packs for everyone!
  8. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Well we did catch a glimpse of these flying creatures in the trailer ? who knows. But agree with the fact that the game will need something to stop people 'commuting' past everyone and missing the social aspect of the game. Maybe some kind of limit on endurance like hours use per day (like reality) or the need to farm considerable smaller beasts (meat) to fuel the flying mounts for a limited length of time? that would encourage the economy / Auction too and create a mini in game hunting society too.
    [​IMG]
    but no squirrels ok :)
    [​IMG]
  9. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I could use one of those dragon flowers as mount. Think of how space saving it is to have around the house, when you are not flying around.
  10. Maddog Charlie

Oh found the name of it, a StemDragon I think.
    StemDragon.jpg
  11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Everything with a dragon in it is cool. If you ever wondered how I can be so awesome, it's because I was born in the Year of the Dragon! :cool:
  12. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

"I think one of those squirrels would be okay as a low level quest flying mount...
  13. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

<------------

....just sayin...
  14. Kirathis

Can I sign a no dragons petition? Please? I had my fill of dragons and drakes with the hundred billion of them flapping around in WoW. I would much prefer a bit more original or amusing idea. ROFLcopter anyone?
  15. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

Well I know we're at least getting some dragon-like creatures. From the announcement trailer we saw the plant-like dragon that looked like a flower, so it's safe to assume that we'll at least get something like that. With that said, I don't mind dragons, so long as they're given some other part in the lore other than what we've seen before. You can have a dragon and have it not be mystical. For all intents and purposes, it looks like that's what we might be dealing with in Wildstar.
  16. Kirathis

Yeah, I'm OK with the plant dragon and stuff like that. I am sure there will be dragons of some kind as many people will want them. I would just prefer to not have a dragon overload.
  17. Tiktak

What would be considered Dragon overload? Have them simply just as mobs and bosses? No Dragon Mounts? If 1 single mount = dragon, everyone will have one more or less. I know I will!
  18. Maddog Charlie

19. Kirathis

See World of Warcraft LOL!
  20. Tiktak

Touche.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.