1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Do not add flying mounts in the game

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MiZTiiX, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

You never can have enough dragons!
  2. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

Probably the only thing I miss from WoW right now is my Vial Of Sands mount....

Cost me a fortune to get it made but I just loved being able to turn into a Dragon.

Course my guild leader did turn me into her personal mount from time to time... not as fun as it sounds...
  3. Jason Sweeney

Jason Sweeney New Cupcake

I think flying mounts, (Jetpacks, fighters, dragons, etc...) should be kept out of the main game world.

Flight paths for normal transit work fine, and at a certain level, teleporter technology for most main hubsseems appropriate, as well as for travel to your private island.

One place I think it would be interesting to see them would be in specialized PVP. Racing your ramjet special or doing an obstacle course by jetpack... just not flying that thing everywhere.... It cheapens the world, and opens up a ton of griefing possibilities, especially in low level areas.
  4. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Used mine to fly my mothers lowbie around to her archeology digsites a few days ago :)
  5. ahamling27

ahamling27 WSC Background Designer 2013

This might be an old thread but I'd like to throw in my 2 cents. From what I've read in this thread, most people assume that having flying mounts equates to the same mechanics as flying mounts in WoW. I don't see why this is everyone's default thinking, but for me all that I have read about WildStar is how they are staying away from anything related to WoW.

In my opinion they should add flying mounts, but innovate it beyond what we think as conventional. There are some great ideas in this thread, adding fuel or food, etc., that I think can add another layer to flying mounts.

WoW didn't start with +300% flying mounts, they were actually +60% speed and ground mounts where actually quicker. Plus they were expensive as hell and only the most dedicated players could afford them.

I have faith that Carbine will innovate in flying mounts, but alas I've always been an eternal optimist. :p
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  6. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly I don't think flying mounts should be in the game, it makes the world feel really small.
  7. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I don't know if it's been said, but having flying mounts would make the super-jumping benefits of loftite obsolete. I'd much rather have that occasionally as opposed to being able to fly all the time and it becoming trite.

But I suppose my opinion is moot since Gaffney has already said there will be flying mounts.
  8. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I am not all that against flying mounts. At max level I want to be able to get around to instances \ raids without drudging through max terrain and mob agro. They do however take away from the social game, you tend to see less players flying over them and are less likely to run into someone needing help that’s exping below on the planet surface. But really.. its sci-fi ish game how could you not expect it?:alien:
  9. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Jet Packs!!!!
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  10. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Depends on how they implement the flying mounts. ;)
  11. LittleIcebreaker

LittleIcebreaker Cupcake

Dagnab it! When did I join a forum community where I agree so much with everyone? :mad:

I totally agree with the OP. Although I really did love my flying mount in BC, and Northrend (stopped playing before Cata hit), I did recognize how it completely changed my gameplay.

My biggest example (because I love sharing stories!) would have be a comparison when I played my first character up to level 60. I was always interested in Winterspring (I'm a HUGE fan of those scary wintery endgame zones), but I was waaay too low level to get there on foot. The moment I nabbed my mount (level 40 ;P) I knew there was a death adventure about to begin. I can't even remember how many times I died in that dumb furbolg tunnel of doom just to inch my corpse a little further so I could go to Winterspring. The moment I stepped out to that fresh cold air was a moment when I cheered with glee!

Little personal adventures like that really added charm to my game. It wasn't scripted, or put in there specifically for me to bang my head against the desk. It was an obstacle, and overcoming that obstacle was so much fun. Having a flying mount back then, I'm sure I could have just flown past (which I did 70% of the time in BC and Northrend).

So yeah, I'm all about the ground transportation in Wildstar. :)
    Sonja likes this.
  12. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I bet we will have space ships later on.
  13. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

My initial opinion would be no to flying mounts but this will probably be the first MMO I've played which has it at the beginning so I'm eager to see what Carbine comes up with. (Not counting superhero MMOs)
  14. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

A flying bicycle made of loftite.
  15. Dpz

Dpz Cupcake

• It takes away the need to move around in the world, and the danger that comes with it.
    • The world become less alive/boring/empty, because people are just flying or AFK up in the air.
    • It removes exploration of the world, if you can simply fly to areas, why go by foot?
    • It affects world PvP in a very negative way. (if there's wPvP wich i really hope for since vanilla WoW)
    • The world feels small, and not as epic.
    • Instead of taking part of everything around you and meeting people on the way, forming groups, chat and make friends while you quest, you will simply only dive in to the precise spot to finnish the quest then take off again to your next target. It's in our nature to do things the quick way instead of forcing ourself to take the slower route.
    And:
    • Why just fly by all this amazing artwork that went into the game? Sure we will experience it once we level our first toon.
    • Why use your ground mounts if you can simply fly?
    I think the bad outweighs the good by a large margin, some will argue against this with all right to do so. But unless they can tackle every problem that comes with flying mounts, then i can't see how it would be a good idea.

It was the top reason i left WoW and the single worst feature they added to the game imo, it was not just because "hey we can fly" but it killed exploration wPvP and just moving around in the world to destinations and meeting people on the way, helping out some alone player with a hard elite mob, or saving an player from a mean ganker. I love to interact with the world and the people in it, not just fly past it.

Remember this is my opinion, and i do see why people love flying mounts and i respect that, i love the other features of the game like double jump, jump pands etc, but really flying mounts isn't one of them and i'll be sad if the decide to implement it into the game.
  16. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

They are confirmed to be in .
  17. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

18. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Locking thread to prevent further needless necroing. There's a new discussion on this located here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.