1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Do you guys think the Dominion Races have their own share of burdens besides being the bad guys?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Roa, May 25, 2013.

1. Korath

Korath New Cupcake

I just want to comment that. The problem with this mindset is that the Dominion was not only driven away from Gnox (and we don't know if they ever dared to came back on this planet or not) but they unleashed the Granok at a galactic level. Instead of letting the Granok rot on their world, the Dominion arrogance insured that the Granok veterans who broke the back of the mighty Legions of the Luminai were able to just do it again, and again, and again on multiple battlefronts.

As for the Aurin matter : once again it was a stupid idea. Not only it cemented their reputation of invaders, genocidal maniacs and untrustworthy galactic power, but it had probably led a lot of young people among the unaligned planets able to travel in space to band with the Exiles to get ride of the Dominion.
    Sonntam likes this.
  2. Blade

Blade Cupcake

Basically the Dominion runs around being the stereotypical bad guy. They attack anyone and everyone when there are far better ways to expand. They could have made great allies that would have helped them expand and bring peace to the galaxy. But instead they just run around wiping out planets and picking fights "just 'cause".
    Sonntam likes this.
  3. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Dominion are only the bad guys if adhering to rules, laws and seeing the big picture and doing what's good for the many while stepping over the few because of no alternatives, makes one evil.
  4. Blade

Blade Cupcake

Except that they HAVE alternatives. They don't HAVE to wipe out everyone they come across. They CHOOSE to. That's the difference.

Their first encounter with the Granok failed because they basically came and said "Hey, worship us now!". They could have been diplomatic about it, offering to help the Granok reach new heights as respected members of the Dominion. Even if they would be "lesser" compared to some, they could have at least offered the illusion of equality. But they decided to be asshats about it instead, and got stomped.

What they did with the Draken was actually smart. Following their laws and customs to bring them in. They should have looked for ways to do that with other races.
    Sonntam, Korath and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  5. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

Do the dominion move as one or do they have many different fleets etc, because if they have numerous fleets and armies, then it's possible that not everyone in the Dominion has the same "Bow before us" attitude that those who encountered the Granok do. This idea again comes from 40k and the Imperium during the Great Crusade, were expeditionary fleets were as different as black and white (i.e compare Salamanders to Night Lords..both part of the Imperium, both doing their duty, but going about it in a whole different way)
  6. okccshell

okccshell Cupcake-About-Town

This thread got into some serious theoretical.....lore-oretical?.....stuff! I'm of the same school of thought as Blade, personally, but I can see both sides.

And on a lighter note....CATBUNNIES! (yeah, I had to be "that girl" who lightens the mood a bit, got really heavy for a while, so why not? lol)
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  7. Roa

Roa Cupcake

I know right

and I really love reading this stuff
    okccshell likes this.
  8. Noa

Noa Cupcake

I think so. I mean not 'everyone' in a single place is always going to agree with the majority, though they'd probably keep that to themselves. I mean what happens to a Mechari.. that 'malfunctions' and doesn't want to kill? What about a cassian that doesn't care about his/her bloodline and simply wants to have a life free of combat and war? What about the Draken? I'm pretty sure eventually some Cassian will have a little 'slip' of the tongue and then start a whole chain of racial degradation.. if there already isn't any.
  9. Blade

Blade Cupcake

I'm sure that there is some individualism in the Dominion, but overall they'd have their doctrine that people are expected to follow.

If it was a single commander who botched a racial encounter, that's something they could deal with and fix. Send new emissaries to apologize and try to work out a peace while removing the old commander of his post.

But it's mainly sounding like being an evil despot is par for the course for being in the Dominion chain of command.
  10. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

It's part of being an imperialist. You accept the rule of the empire (the Dominion, in this case)or you're ground to dust by it. The Dominion undoubtedly considers races like the aurin and granok to be of lesser value than themselves. When a peasant kills a noble (granok smashing Dominion emissaries), you don't arrest him. You string him up and make an example out of him for all the other peasants to see. If they let the granok get away with it, it's like telling the rest of the galaxy that you don't have to take the Dominion seriously.

There's no account of them bothering with diplomacy or even recruitment with the aurin. The Dominion's leaders likely considered them to be some kind of primitive people like the granok, but lacking the strength and fortitude that made the rock-people attractive as infantry. What they -did- have was a lush, verdant homeworld rich with natural resources. Even if the Dominion did care about the aurin's opinion, the catbunnies probably wouldn't have let them bulldoze Arboria anyways.

That's the way imperialism has traditionally worked. Might makes right. It doesn't work as well as it once did on modern day Earth because we have things like the United Nations (which itself relies on combined strength of arms as its ultimate bargaining chip), and global telecommunications which means that there are few forces more powerful than public opinion. But there was a time (still is, in certain parts of the world)where the guy who had the biggest arsenal was in charge and it didn't matter what anyone thought or felt about it.

WildStar, and the Dominion (who, let's face it, take a lot of overt cues from the late British Empire and European imperialism in general), sets things at about that time. The Dominion is/was the uncontested galactic superpower... until the organization of the Exiles. See, the incidents with the granok and the aurin, they're nothing but chump change if taken simply as isolated incidents. Oh, no. Some rock people learned how to use guns. The catbunnies are upset about their homeworld, Eldan save us (incidentally, the fact that the Dominion can bulldoze a planet at will should say something about how much leverage they can bring to bear).

Together, though, they actually start to become a threat. The situation with the Dominion is the same one that brought down most empires IRL: they underestimated their enemies' ability to rally and unite behind a single banner. A bunch of small, disparate problems aren't really an issue. They might tax the empire's infrastructure a bit, they might hamper progress, but they can't muster an offensive capable of denting your army/fleet/crazy guys with guns/whatever.

As one, they're more threatening. This is compounded by the presence of a second thorn in the lion's paw: a war of foreign occupation. The Dominion can't just level Nexus and be done with it, they need it as much (possibly more)than the Exiles do. Now we're getting into a situation like the American Revolution, the war in Vietnam, or WW2's Eastern Front. Now the Dominion is facing a united foe, desperate in its purpose, in a foreign and inhospitable land that will effectively remove most, if not all, of their strategic leverage.

-Now- the Dominion has something to worry about. Previously, notsomuch.

Edited to add: on the topic itself, no, I don't think the Dominion have any sort of tragic backstory. There's the obvious downsides to living in an authoritarian regime, I guess, but I don't think we (Dominion enthusiast here)have or need any "victim" or "underdog" angle.
    Hauntie and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Really great analysis you typed up here. I like how you framed the conflict between the two factions and compared them against RL historical events.
  12. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

I'd just like to say, not everything about Imperialism was bad imo, if done correctly that is.
    Apostate likes this.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Lol you might just start a flame war with that comment. XD
  14. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

After reading through this thread, in addition to what I already know of the lore, I still believe the faction dichotomy is quite black and white. Sure internally there are cool little histories between the Draken and the Cassians and stuff, but when looking at the Dominion as an entity versus Exiles as an entity, it's very clear which the 'good' guys are. There are really no redeemable qualities about the Dominion. They're harsh imperialists, represented by an incredibly stereotypically evil character.

That's not to say there NEEDS to be moral ambiguity, but the writers should align their goals with their products. If their goal was moral ambiguity, I have to say they failed pretty badly. However what they have made is a hilariously brilliant caricature dynamic between great stereotypically good and evil factions. Moral ambiguity would be really nice, but what they've made instead is good too. I mean, look at the Meet The Dominion/Exiles videos. Clear good and evil, but in a very highly entertaining, whacky style.
    Apostate, Sonntam and Deimos like this.
  15. cirk

cirk Cupcake

I personally find this discussion very interesting. However we do know very little about the faction lore of Wildstar compared to some of the comparisons that have been named. With the new info about the Luminai it feels like Myrcalus the Vindicator is to Vorios the False what Rhaegar Targaryen is to Aerys the Mad. Or I am again reading way to much into a single sentence. I am really looking forward to the forthcoming reveals and maybe the way the factions are perceived right know might change the final design.

The dominion has a lawful evil atmosphere. The exiles are more chaotic good, if that makes any sense. Both factions are capable of justifying "bad" actions that can be perceived as being evil by the other faction or a third party. I think both groups will be presented more gray in the coming releases. A simple black and white - evil and good constellation is to shallow. And if swtor is any indicator it even seems to be part of the problem with unbalanced faction population.
    Apostate likes this.