1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

do you play the opposite sex characters in game?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Xecks, Aug 18, 2013.

?

what sex are you and what sex char do you play?

1. i am a man and i play female chars.

120 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. i am a man and i play male chars.

118 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. i am a woman and i play male chars.

19 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. i am a woman and i play female chars.

58 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Nimiar

Nimiar New Cupcake

I am female and pretty much always play female characters. I tend to sort of sink into my characters' heads so it is much easier to identify with a female character.

The only exception to this so far has been in WoW... I hated how the female Worgen looked so I made a male. So I guess if the female version of a race looks horrible I will play the male. Only for alts though. All of my other characters in WoW, along with my main, were females.

Main in WildStar is going to be a sexy Cassian warrior lady. Or engineer. Whichever tank I like better. =)
    mister4mazing likes this.
  2. mister4mazing

mister4mazing New Cupcake

I'm male and only play male characters. It's necessary for me to be immersed in the game. I love to put myself into my characters and identify with them, so for me I need them to be male.
  3. frzn

frzn New Cupcake

I am a man and I mostly play play female characters out of habit at this point. Originally it was because I'm a tall skinny guy, which puts me proportionally closer to the absurdly skinny female characters than barrel chested male characters of most games. I also like how female clothing tends to come in more varieties than male clothing.

I guess that for me the choice is about aesthetics rather than identity. I don't really ask other players about their identities (age, sex, job, etc) outside of the game either unless they bring it up first.
  4. Jakurah

Jakurah New Cupcake

I am a man and I first started playing female characters after playing a class gender locked game. I find a woman in high heels carrying a massive sword bigger than she is killing huge monsters a lot more fun than using a male character.

I see my character in the game as someone I'm controlling rather than imagining myself in the game. I still get pretty involved in the story but its more like watching a good movie.
    zekkdarklighter likes this.
  5. Razen

Razen New Cupcake

I'm a female who usually makes a female character first, then makes male characters afterward if I feel like it. I used to feel kinda uncomfortable playing male characters but after managing to completely level one in WoW it stopped bothering me.

So nowadays, I'll play either gender. If the female armor looks really skimpy, then I'll probably play a male just because I don't like having a character running around in a chainmail bikini. Other times I'll play a male character just because I like the way they look. For Wildstar, I'm planning on playing a male Aurin.
  6. mXb

mXb New Cupcake

I tend to lean towards female chars ingame (I'm male). One of the reasons is that I suck at making up names for my chars so I usually use name of my kids or something like that. Oh, and I never roleplay so it does not really matter if I play male or female toon.
  7. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

I'm male and usually play males...I'll play a female if it fits more though, or if I have an army of male characters already.
  8. Darkmoor

Darkmoor New Cupcake

I'm a man that plays females characters, I suffer from a chronic case of Lara Croft Syndrome. I have spoken to doctors about it, but for some reason I get accused of wasting their time, and ejected from the GP's ...
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I'm a man, I like men, I want a man, I play male characters.......how much more man/men/male then that can you get? :D
  10. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

So manly. :up:
    Inukeu and Extatica like this.
  11. Luffy

Luffy New Cupcake

I always play what I like visually. I usually prefer playing male but if I find a race I like and prefer the female version over the male, I choose female.
  12. DirtyHoudini

DirtyHoudini New Cupcake

I choose whatever animations I like more, I don't discriminate between sex.
  13. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

I usually play Male Characters, I only make female characters If I find them more appealing for certain classes (Female Aurin --> Stalker/Esper, Female Draken---> Warrior).
  14. Todhaseo

Todhaseo New Cupcake

Some people play female genders for a smaller hitbox. well that's how most people see it but I personally don't.

I don't mind gender set Classes/Characters in other mmo's like Dungeon Fighter Online(Reminder that nexon is a piece of <REDACTED> may this game rest in pieces)
  15. Cyclops08

Cyclops08 New Cupcake

I'm a guy, and I mostly play guys. But I almost always have a female character or two in my list of alts.
    Human male spellslinger...yes
    Disney Bunny Girl Mad Killer Stalker...yes.
  16. Gingis

Gingis New Cupcake

I'm a man, and I nowadays play both male and female characters.

Actually, I started with WoW, and I originally did not even consider making female characters, but when I tried to create a human (male) mage for which I had thought up a backstory already, I saw to my dismay that the mage looked like someone who spent far more time at the gym than in the library, and would probably try to defeat his foes by hitting them on the head with his spellbook. So a female mage it became. So I guess that indeed it depends on whether the game's art gels with my conception of a character, especially as I like to play on RP servers and don't necessarily see a character as a version of myself that happens to be able to throw fireballs or raise people from the dead.

For the rest it is more the character concept that I 'buy' or find interesting, not the gender by itself. Cool-looking mail-clad female night elf warrior/hunter on the loading screen? Try that one. Male troll hunter riding a raptor through Outlands? I also want that one!

Obviously, even on a RP server, you can't really 'see' the world as someone (or rather 'a typical person') from the opposite gender would see it, but then, it would be at least as hard to see the world from the viewpoint of a robot, a sociopathic rodent, or a hunter from a tribal society. You may never succeed fully, but it is an interesting exercise. Besides, most real people are not stereotypes of their gender - I can not imagine being interested in shoes or waxing lyrical when hearing about sales, but similarly I can also not imagine spending my days drinking beer and eating red meat while watching soccer matches. There is something of me in each character I make, and I can fuel different characters with the opposite tendencies that exist in me as a person (a female aurin esper for my tree-hugging part, a chua engineer for my tree-destroying tendencies).

On the question whether I play opposite sex characters in the game, I therefore say yes. Actually I would recommend anyone to have a few opposite sex characters, as it is very educational (playing on my female chars and interacting with male characters has made me wonder frequently if this was also how I treated women).

A last philosophical thought: would people who don't play opposite sex characters in a game do that because they identify with their physical gender, or because they indentify with their 'behavioral/socialized' gender? For example, in night elf society, the women tended to be the warriors (tough and independent), protecting the males, which were mystical/intuitive and sleeping. Say that game designers would include a culture like the fictional Amazonian culture of the Hercules cartoons, where the women fight and work while the men stay at home, bake cookies, clean the house, and are emotional, 'soft' and caring. Of course, a bit far-fetched, for in MMOs everyone is a tough hero. But anyway, which gender would those who are 'non-crossplayers' go for then?
  17. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I have a vagina virtually, so I might as well represent virtually as well!
  18. Blindrat

Blindrat New Cupcake

I wish there was a "I play both option"
    I'm a male, but I tend to play females more mostly because the male models often aren't that appealing to me. I'm tiny and and slender I guess, but certainly not "built" like I've seen in many MMOs so I go with the female models more often. Though I tend to gravitate toward neutral species/race if available too, because theyre often goblins, or some type of goblin/creature race that yo can't really put a sex label on.

In GW2 Charr and Asura for example, unless you really knew which faces/hair belonged to the specified sex(without hearing the voices of course) you can't really tell male apart from female at times, especially asura.

All comes down to the aesthetic of the models in question though for me.
  19. Hermes

Hermes Cupcake

I'm a guy and only once have I played a female character. Some of the people I played with seemed to think I was a real woman. I guess my brain is more feminine in some ways. It's amazing how the way you're perceived through your character can actually affect people's attitude towards you in game.

I'm not an active role-player but I think that since mmorpg is indeed rpg there is always a roleplaying element in the game whether it's consciously and deliberately or more subtle.
    Someone once said "most people just play themselves in a suit of armor and that's why mmo role-playing sucks!". If you ask me the most interesting roleplaying is when a character merges with and harmonizes with the personality of the player instead of full blown acting with people making up background stories and delivering lines "in character". No matter what type of character I make it usually reflects some side of my personality and since female characters seem to enhance my feminine sides to the point where people will refuse to accept that I'm not a woman IRL, I stick to male characters.
  20. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Now that the NDA have been lifted...

Check out the Mordesh Female when she runs. Or Mechari female when she walks. They're going to flood the server when people start making alts.