1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Does anyone else hope to see more dark themes in Wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thtgynmdfsh, Sep 22, 2011.

1. thtgynmdfsh

thtgynmdfsh New Cupcake

Has anyone else noticed that there are dark, underlying themes present in what we've seen so far with Wildstar, mostly pertaining to the Eldan and their technology? In the gamescom demo of the Northern Wilds, the Eldan tower that created the blizzard was fueled by sacrificed creatures that inhabited that area, using their primal energy as a power source. And during the first Wildstar Wednesday, Senior Concept Artist Andy Cotnam's description of his direction with Metal Maw gave a feeling of the creature being a victim of Eldan experimentation, even going on to say that "I really want to sell that this isn't an upgrade on this creature, but a bane. Or, even worse, the original creature may be gone entirely, with all that remains being the Eldan tech that puppets its corpse.”

[​IMG]
    Look at this guy and try to say he was a willing subject for those "upgrades".​

I for one really enjoy the dark undertones that we've been given so far, especially pertaining to the Eldan and the lengths they went to with their experimentation. It reminds me of Phantasy Star Online: Ep 1 & 2 in the sense that the game isn’t immediately dark, but when you start delving into the back-story you see the cruel reality of everything around you, and how everything turned out the way it did. While the art style may look cartoony and childish, I like how they allow themselves a certain amount of maturity to the story, emphasizing that not everything is super-happy-fun-time. Though I don't condone the idea that for something to be "dark" it has to be bloody and in-your-face, but more of a thought-provoking, inconspicuous darkness. Does anyone else want to see more of this throughout the game?
    Scrawny likes this.
  2. souper

souper Founding Member

Of course I want to see more and I suspect we'll see plenty. The Eldan seem, at first glance, to have garnered their great power at any expense and its possible that it bit them in the butt and caused their disappearance. That should make for plenty of great stories. Then there are the Dominion. From what I understand they ravaged the Aurin homeworld and now they've chased them all the way to Nexus to do it again. They seem all sorts of malicious and vile and it'll be interesting to learn what their motives are.
  3. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Yup, definitely noticed this, and it seems like we'll be seeing a fair bit of this throughout. I might be way off base, but it does seem like even with the factions they're going for a light/dark theme, not a shades of grey kind of thing that's common in two-faction games.

Very much hoping for a dark, underlying theme in any case - might get some people off the notion that this is a game with children as their main target audience.
  4. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

5. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

I've always been a fan of the Fridge Horror style where you're adventuring along and everything's cool, then you realize all those neat robots actually contain ripped-out-of-their-body souls or something terrible like that. Those types of horrors where it becomes horrifying when you stop to think about it, like Metal Maw there.

I wonder if they'll pull the Haunted Ruins card too. With plenty of said ruins and a vanished alien race, it'd be a pretty easy fit. I'd just hope for a new/different twist, since it's such a common theme in games.
  6. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

That's one of the best things about WildStar I think. We have this art style that just screams "Hell yeah! I wanna play!". But throughout the story and between the lines of this playful art style it is obvious the mature theme behind it all.
  7. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

I think there can never be enough subtle darkness^^
    So much is cruel when you think about it long enough and I especially like the idea, that everything seems fine on the surface, but when you dig deeper, the Eldan show their real face with gruesome experiments and mindtwisting tests. All for the benefit of an utopia.
  8. thtgynmdfsh

thtgynmdfsh New Cupcake

I've always liked it when developers and writers take advantage of the subtle, thought provoking approach to a dark story. Especially in cases like Wildstar where the darkness is neatly covered up with a fun world and child-like feel. I agree that we will probably be seeing this become a trend as information and story about Wildstar is revealed to us. And I'm also very curious to see what they'll do with not only the Eldan but with the Dominion as well, as they do seem to be very malevolent in their ways as well.
  9. Melanie Dawn McGreevey

Melanie Dawn McGreevey New Cupcake

I'm hoping the Dominion will be really dark and twisted, i can see a sort of devil-girl/guy to counteract the bunny people. To counter act the rock people? maybe some sort of techno undead? (akin to the ones in Allods).
  10. gyves

gyves Cupcake

Demons and undead are way overused. I want to see spider and/or octopus races.
  11. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

12. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

You sir... I REALLY like how you think. Perhaps we could get some Lamias/Nagas or Evil/Dark Harpies.

Personally, I think a playable race of snakish people with the slitted eyes and fangs would be unique, as I've NEVER seen any game allow you to play as the snake archetypes.

Link to an example of a snake person ready for battle. Just a link to the pic because it's kinda big.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2mjmnm.jpg
  13. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

EQ had the iksar, which was a reptile race. Considered evil aligned.

The Iksar are bipedal reptiles, generally as tall as a fully grown Human. The males are recognized by their large tails, and many spiked protrusions upon their heads and bodies. Females are generally smaller, with thinner tails, more slender bodies than their male counterparts, with three rounded horns on their heads, swept back, sometimes connected together with a thin layer of skin. Also notable for the females is a colorful patch of scales on their faces and foreheads. The thick scales of an Iksar provide them with a sort of natural armor that makes them more resiliant to harm than other races.
    Source: http://everquestlore.wikia.com/wiki/Iksar
  14. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

I dig dark themes in video games. Im from the generation of kids who sat on the couch eating boo-berry cereal while watching the Hilarious House of Frightenstein and I think it had an effect on me. Im a huge horror fan and Im really drawn to games (or races in games) that have any form of "dark themes" as its put. Forsaken World Vampire? Sign me up! World of Warcraft Death Knight? Of course! Warhammer Online Marauder? Yes Please! Age of Conan...period? Definitely!

Although, I cant say its necessary and I think everyones idea of "dark theme" may be slightly different. To me its more along the lines of the supernatural and storylines that have to deal with pain, misery, destroying the beautiful or youthful. I guess its all in how its told or shown.

Im just hoping that if the dominion are actually a dark themed faction, that theres something as beautiful but in a sinister way as the aurin.
  15. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

Given that your name is VooDoo, I find this very hard to believe.
  16. vikingmand

vikingmand New Cupcake

I really like playing as a dark-type character, preferably magician and maybe a dark type race too (no elves tho) Hope they make something like that too
  17. Crybone

Crybone Cupcake-About-Town

Dark themes are naturally satisfying as humans are mostly good people, so yeah! Without darkness a game wouldn't be much entertaining. However the amount of darkness is a question.

I'm not the kind of guy who are deeply involved with lore. But if the lore is easily accessible through clear signs of "darkness" in the game world it would be quite nice.

For example dynamic areas which keeps growing darker if they players doesn't interact with them is a nice way to show the lore.
  18. Blue Skunk

Blue Skunk New Cupcake

I agree, however I find that a lot of games portray the good/evil by simple light/dark looking characters. This is easier to differentiate for a younger audience or a newish gamer.

I kinda like the idea of having the evil be coming from the underlying tones and not just a cosmetic appearance. Something that can appeal more to an older player as the differential rather than angels v demons.
  19. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

One thing I've noticed in at least a few MMOs is that you can't really base good/evil by the first impression you get from appearances. Taking WoW or Rift as an example, the Alliance and Guardians both look to be the good guys while the Horde and Defiant look like the bad guys - but if you read some of the lore, you'll see that appearances can be deceiving.

This is really something I'd like to see more of in MMOs based on two factions, I find it makes things a lot more interesting than the very straight-forward "these are the good guys and these are the bad guys and you can tell just by looking at them".
  20. Wobbley

Wobbley Cupcake

What she said :3