1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Does anyone else hope to see more dark themes in Wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thtgynmdfsh, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

Except every MMO does that these days.

I like SW:TOR's approach, because it's different enough from that and more realistic for it. The Sith Empire is clearly wrong and bad, and the Galactic Republic is clearly right and just. But the Empire does not lack for good and decent people who believe the order the Empire imposes on the general masses is the only way for society to function. There's proof enough of that in the corruption and widespread criminal element that can exist at every level of the Republic thanks to their treasured freedom.

The key is that most of the problems the Republic has are due to the influence of outside forces, and those that aren't are due to individual selfishness. The problems the Empire has, and they don't lack for them either, are due largely to the excesses of their ruling class and the oppression of everyone else.

Anyway, my point is that I like that level of complexity in the details combined with a clear right and wrong in the broad view. In real life conflicts, there's almost always one side truly in the wrong who went too far and made the conflict inevitable, but that hardly means that every one on that side is a villain.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  2. Crybone

Crybone Cupcake-About-Town

Good point. I'm also not that happy with easy ways to provide darkness. One of my favorite games (yes i'm norwegian) is The Longest Journey. It think that game provided a darkness without making it oblivious for the players.

I wish that MMOs would borrow some ideas from adventure and puzzle games, as they makes problem solving much more intuitive and rich. Making the players engage with the problems in other ways that just killing some wolfs would be interesting. Darkness can also be placed in the environments not just npc's.
  3. Mister B

Mister B New Cupcake

And of course, all too often game designers confuse "Evil" with "Thug". SW:TOR was mentioned above, but that is a classic example of falling victim to this line of thinking. I agree that the meta situation between the Empire and Republic is an interesting take on factions, but when you get down to brass tacks, most of the darkside options are generally bullying and thuggery.

My favorite example to differentiate the two: A thug kicks a puppy. An evil mastermind convinces The Hero to kick the puppy, for justice.
  4. Crybone

Crybone Cupcake-About-Town

Well played!
  5. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

Well , the most obvious might be Aliens? :D Think sneaking through ancient Eldan ruins that no man has seen before can be done in a real creepy atmosphere. Imagine scarce use of light, foggy ground layers ... maybe unlike wow adds some traps or dangers that you can step in/trigger.
    Imagine the Alien Base in Aliens (the second movie), when the team of soldiers is exploring the reactor the first time. A little instrument like that scanner thing they use can add so much to atmosphere. "What was that sneaking around? Did something move int eh shadows?"

Jeff Kurtenacker tweeted a few days ago:

So yeah, I think we will have creepy moments.

I have also seen concept art of some swampy area and some scary looking wolf-like creatures (can't find it atm) but overall I think the colorful bright artsy style of the game will play the major role in the game.
  6. Lemonater

Lemonater New Cupcake

I would agree that the undead/zombies are overplayed. It would be great to have undead that LOOK alive, but on closer inspection, say their eyes, you find them dead. They look right from a distance, but there just seems to be something wrong with them, can't quite put my finger on it. Obvious bad guys aren't as much fun as learning that those who are bad guys didn't start out that way, it happened bit by bit.
  7. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I'd prefer not to have to select a faction but let my alignment be made from the choices I make and how they effect the people/npcs involved/related to those choices.

I do like the undercurrent of darkness in the lore, rather than the "in your face" cosmetic type.

BTW, I have 4 empire toons on SWTOR, and they are all well into being light aligned. I simply fail at doing dark choices :p
  8. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

I know it's been a while since the article posted, but the Wildstar Wednesday article a while ago about Eldan Technology pointed towards some very interesting potential darker plot elements which will be right up our alley. Carbine has said that the Eldan were pursuing advancement, using their technology and experiments to transform themselves into god-like beings. And now they are all gone, but the technology remains, autonomous and continuing those experiments.

A couple thoughts for underlying implications:

The Augmentors now have a brand new source of subjects in the arrival of the Exiles and Dominion. What if settlers are getting kidnapped and subjected to horrifying experiments ala Metal Maw? Loved ones turned into cyborg-ized monstrosities! There's all kinds of terrible Frankenstein-esque stuff that could happen there. Metal grafted to flesh, or alien body parts grafted to other species in an attempt to "improve" the specimen.

Augmentors are valuable, and if either the Exiles or Dominion are able to get their hands on them, they may harness Augmentation to improve their own soldiers. And just how far are the sides willing to go in this conflict? It's a classic cyberpunk theme: how much tech can replace a person's body before they cease to be human? And would the sides fall to the same temptations as the Eldan?

There's a lot of fun potential there. Rescue missions to save people from experimentation, putting down loved ones that have been turned into monsters, deciding whether you should return the technology discovered to your leaders or decide it's too dangerous to possess.
    Zap-Robo likes this.
  9. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I always felt like a good example of moral grey area in video games was Dragon Age: Origins. However, I don't know how effective that would be in an MMO
  10. Faith

Faith New Cupcake

I want the game SO dark, I'm hoping to see Slenderman and battle Cthulhu.
  11. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I hope there is a lot of dark that you really don't notice until you stop to think about it a little. You know? Kind of hidden slightly behind the cartoony imagery of the game.
  12. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Or perhaps the weeping angels from Doctor Who? :D:D