1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Dps, Heals, Tank

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by mr. bob, Nov 29, 2012.

1. mr. bob

mr. bob New Cupcake

In other mmos i love all the aspects of the 3 specs

in wow i mostly played Pally and Druid for the versitility
    will Specs in WSO have the ablity to respec or carry 2 specs at a time so i can perform multiple roles when they are appropriate.
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

No information about that yet.
  3. mr. bob

mr. bob New Cupcake

i wish there was!
  4. Thorax

Thorax New Cupcake

you and me both :) i'm really interested in seeing how this will work
  5. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

They have said you can in some way buy stats and stuff and that there will be class roles (And that people can do multiple roles, but they never said if it was in a hybrid way [Healing AND Dps abilities at the same time] or via spec [focus on one role])
  6. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Their trinity article sure sounded like role specific specs to me, and at least two of dedicated healer, dedicated tank or dedicated dps are possible. If it is only possible to do one role at all (only one spec and not at least dual spec) and not possible to respec and experiment with ones setup, it would be so dissappointing and a game breaker for me.
    Mudfin likes this.
  7. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

If they go with the sort of WoW talent spec route, I'm assuming dual specs, or some easy way of switching skills and abilities out. (Kind of like D3)

I guess I didn't put my thoughts into words clearly enough, sorry. That wasn't what I was trying to mean at all! lol. That and I guess I assume any spec system has a dual spec mechanic of some kind...

The 'hybrid way' I imagined would be a class with a mix of healing and dps abilities they can use all the time, the other way is they can either do dps, or with the click of a button and a new wardrobe, do healing.

I hope that's a clearer picture of what I had in mind?
  8. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Could be interesting. I do like those dps/utility/offhealer types. They are good to have on initial dungeon runs, when the dedicated pug healer now and then needs a hand on spike group damage due to noone being in any kind of gear - unless dungeon bosses have enragers, then the cost in dps isn't good :p

While I do prefer the trinity model with dedicated roles, I still think it has room for the hybrids. A tank, a heal, 1-2 dps, 1-2 hybrids (dps offheal and/or dps offtank). Encounters build upon that formation ought to make groups more fun. Unfortunately with a bit of gearing, people would prefer to bring dps and just burn through the dungeon. They would kick hybrids for slowing them down, unless their dps is the same.

Rift does make room for them, as long as they are prepared to switch to full dps spec in dungeons, when they enter as support.
  9. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

There will at least be a respec option. Games learned long ago not to lock player builds.

The question is how available will they be.

Will it be rather expensive, or difficult to resepc or super easy

Or maybe a hybrid where you can have dual spec but respeccing is a chore.

There are a lot of different directions they can take. This game doesn't seem hardcore so I'd expect something similar to WoW's level of respecing. And hopefully dual-spec as I think that adds to the play experience.
  10. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

Reason why the trinity has been so popular in the past is the definition of the role it gives. New players trying out an MMO want that direction rather than been faced with a bewildering array of choices in a bewildering new enivronment with bewildering scary stemdragons.

Having the choice of heavy, rogue and healer gives people something they can immediately relate to, they know right away what they should be doing and have a good idea how they should do it.

Having a valid 'role' in an MMO gives them a sense of purpose and direction. For the rest of us we've been there and done that we prefer the 'custom' character build usually.

I think we will see easy options for trying different abilities within a role (ie tuning a rogue more for healing and armor than ranged) but hope for the newbies sake they have something traditionally defined too.
  11. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

i ll just say one thing....

Class Uniqueness

There can be 6 tank classes, as long as they bring different stuff on the table, unique stuff... Sme for healing, same for dps!!

Darkspur likes this.
  12. pikachu

pikachu Cupcake

I'm judt looking at a more diverse skill build (maybe something WoW like?) Anyways, I hope they really make a choice for healers having for example a spell that casts a giant field of healimg for about 10 secs (WoW cata players know what im talking bout.) And for the warrior, I remember that the warrior ability description also said that warriors would wield grenades. Can you make these grenades into a only damage causing aoe or maybe even particular debuffs (shock explosion which causes stun or silences)
  13. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I'm mostly interested on how players will effectively build up their characters, knowing that warriors will use different stats depending on their style, makes me wonder if there will be a cookie cutter build, or maybe it will be like Diablo 3, where it's all about your combat style.
  14. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

There are always cookie-cutter builds because something will always be "best."

Look at TSW, the most freeform build system I've seen and there are cookie cutter builds.

As long as there are multiple cookie cutter builds it's fine. All that matters is that there are enough options to allow players to find a playstyle that they enjoy.

I loved Frost DK, hated Unholy. A body was the opposite but we were both happy because we could play how we wanted.
  15. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I don't disagree with the emergence of cookie cutter builds. They're every where for every game. Players have a tendency to assume their peers will vomit all over their preferred build or play-style, and run like chickens to the forums to see what everyone else is doing. Such conformists we are. I can't say too much, because I love theory-crafting and have occasionally run with the chickens (sadly, not bulls). But I think the prominence of cookie cutter builds in TSW (and this is just an opinion), is an indicator of the overwhelming number of abilities and synergies. People get confused and they turn to cookie cutter builds assuming they are the "best," when its possible to craft your own "best" build. Self-doubt and the Warcraft "One Build To Rule Them All," mentality is what hurts. I rarely use cookie cutter specializations anymore.
  16. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

Yep I get the impression that being able to change abilities easily in a skill line will enable players to 'tune their toon' (Awesome gonna have to copyright that lol) to best suit their combat style, ie: not particulary nimble and twitchy enough to evade ALL the telegraphs then - choose a better armor buff ability at the expense of the uber dps buff etc.
    Choices for the voices
    Slayers for the players
    Deals for the heals
    Blades for the raids
    etc etc :)
  17. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

I already talked about that before so my opinion is out there somewhere in the forum lol. but one point that I'd like to add is that they should give us real talent spec sorry to say but what wow did recently with all their change in spec is disgusting. Mainly because they simplified it so much a cow could play wow now (sorry don't mean to insult anyone) but I hope carbine won't give us that kind of...crappy thing. Now some might be tempted to try to show me the good side in what Bliz did but don't bother cause my mind is already set. I am a rpg player so I love to dive in talent spec and try different things if you simplified it so much then don't call your game a MMO RPG imo. Now having double spec at least is a standard loved what Rift did i think it's pretty awesome how the talent spec is structure in rift and having a lot of possibilities is always a plus.
    mockingfox likes this.
  18. Krayzeh

Krayzeh New Cupcake

With the classes and paths, Is each race set to a certain class for example is Human set to Warrior because I disagree with that if it is but I'm not a big fan because I like the way of choosing a Race then choose your class then onto your path which would be cool. If it was set class and race it would be pretty boring because everyone would be the same. Also is there factions? or PvP? And is there loot like gear, so if you got gear will it change the look of your character or no? Just my ideas, THANKS :) GAME LOOKS AMAZING!!!!
  19. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

From what I remember, there will be class/race restrictions but they will unlock more class/race combination after release. I am guessing you saw the demonstration video where the human was the spellslinger and the aurin was the esper and granok was warrior, that was for demonstration purposes only. Those 3 races are part of the Exile faction, the Dominion faction races are not yet revealed. There will be PvP also.
    mockingfox likes this.
  20. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I believe it was the Holy Trinity WildStar Wednesday where we saw a human Esper
    Guide likes this.