1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Drop comparison

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Convicted, May 16, 2014.

1. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

So I'm not sure I get the point of this or if I'm looking at it wrong..

So the main Assault number is 13 - 7 which means a loss of 6 points.

but then the Brutality is 10 --> 18 which gives an increase of 6.7 Assault power.

So overall, if I equip this I will gain ...... " .7 " Assault power and then some base health, is that right?

wtf....

[​IMG]
  2. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

They're separated because Brutality does different things for different classes. It would give 7 AP regardles of class, plus 18 Brutality which also gives you Assault Power in this case *because* of your class (which would make you a stalker or warrior).
    So look at the numbers in comparison.
    AP: 13 to 7 = -6
    Brut: 10 to 18 = +8 Brut (which gives +2.9 difference to AP) (not 6.7, that's the total AP that 18 Brut offers, but when compared to the 10 Brut that you already had on the other piece, that's a difference of 2.9)
    for a differential of -3.1 Assault Power total, plus 154 HP, minus 9 strikethrough
    Those three points of Assault Power are largely negligible, because percentages are used in the formulaes to calculate damage. 65% of 3 is two extra points of damage (as an example). We're talking about hundreds in most cases, so 2 (again, as an example) isn't very significant.
    So the question is whether you want more HP or more Strikethrough.
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  3. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

You can't always go by what gear is best for you based on Armor, Assault or Support power. Wildstar has made things a lot more complicated with two things. Actually just one thing, but I like the number two.

First, different stats do different things for different classes. For example, I play an Esper. Moxie increases my assault power. I play a spellslinger, Finesse is my assault power booster. As an Esper, Finesse instead increases my critical chance.

There's also a thing called "Threshold" in your stats. For example, if you have 250 Moxie, you get a 20 point bonus to your assault power on top of having 250 moxie. If we said for agrument sake that you get +1 Assault power per point of Moxie (as an esper), you would normally have 250 assault power at 250 moxie. But with thresholds, you get that bonus +20 assault power after you reach 250.

So let's say I find a piece of equipment that adds +5 Moxie (the piece I currently wear is +10) and +20 finesse. My current stats are like 260 Moxie (Threshold at 250) and 190 Finesse (threshold at 200 where I get a +20 critical bonus stat). I would take the new piece of equipment. Even though it gives less moxie, it lets me break the Finesse threshold for more stats while keeping my already moxie threshold.

In the screenshots listed above it would help to look at your thresholds. If that extra brutality pushes you over a threshold that gives you +20 Assault then that negative 6 assault from the higher level piece is suddenly moot. Net gain is +6.7 (brutality boost from the item for your class) and -6.0 (lower base assault power from the item) and +20 Assault (You broke your stat threshold for a bonus). So in total you get like +20....if you break your threshold.

Basically, you want to make the choice in gear that breaks the more thresholds you want in your stats without dropping below the thresholds you already have.
  4. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

So did you take the extended long route to basically say I am looking at it right? the AP essentially cancel each other out and all I am left with is an HP upgrade. ;)

The other part of my question is do we know why they do this?... instead of say....having the upgrade item also have 13 Assault Power, so at least there is some gain instead of a cancel out.
  5. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

I was just trying to clarify.
    You said it was a 0.7 AP gain, when in fact it's a 3.1 AP loss. But that 3.1 means very little in the grand scheme of things.

As to the second part of your question, it isn't a wash.
    The first item has 13+10+9=32 points in stats (level 19 item).
    The secoind item has 7+18+11=36 points in stats (level 21 item).
    The second item has less Assault Power for it's base, but more overall stat increases.

Again, I'll reiterate that the Assault Power & Brutality only apply to the same stat because of your class. You're either a warrior or a stalker. If this were in the hands of any other class, the strikethrough (with included crit severity in this case) would be the stat being doubled up instead of the assault power.
    In that case, this becomes a *very* different upgrade.
    That's why it's done that way. Because different stats work in different ways for each class.
    Look at this to understand a bit more.
    Basically, it's done this way so that, once you get used to which stats work for each class, you'll be able to look at an item and say "OK, that's an upgrade for a DPS Esper" or "that item is for an engineer tank" or "that's for a medic healer" or whatever.
    All items are always going to be useful to anyone, but any given item will always be *best* for one-to-three different classes.

The two items that you have are best for DPS warriors and stalkers. The first will be better for glass cannon, the second will be better for someone that wants a bit more survivability. While anyone can use those items, they work best when equipped on a DPS stalker or warrior.
  6. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

Calebrus is correct. Base assault power and brutality are calculated seprately (because brutality is different based on class). I can see where your mistake is in your math though. You have to look at the values in parentheses, those are your gains and losses in stats compared to what you have equipped. In this case you have -6 base AP while having +2.9 AP from the additional 8 brutality. Add the AP together to get -3.1 AP.

You were looking at the total AP that 18 brutality grants you without factoring in the original 10 brutality on your equipped piece if that makes any more sense.