1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Dungeons and Raids, what would you like to see?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Dragor, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

So I've been thinking. The problem with raiding in particular, though also dungeons to an extent, in the standard MMO framework, is gear.

I'm not sure anyone runs along the gear treadmill for the gear itself. Sure, it's nice to have and you can show off, but everyone knows the purpose of better gear is to raid better and further. This leads to the cycle of getting better gear to raid more to get better gear and so on. That's not bad in itself, but human nature combined with it leads to obligation, avarice, resentment, stress and drama.

Just so we're clear, I'm not suggesting raids should absolutely not drop any gear. Rather, I'm decrying the standard progression scheme entirely dependent on raid loot. There are several ways to mitigate or eliminate the problem, mostly able to compliment each other, and I'll list the ones that occur to me.

• Make gear upgrades offer marginal improvements compared to what they're intended to replace.
    • Tune fights not just to emphasise player skill but to allow it to make up for lacking stats.
    • Include scalable difficulty settings.
    • Create non-gear rewards that are not just a bonus but the main attraction.
    • Offer equivalent gear available from other activities (PVP does not count as it typically requires sufficiently different stat spreads as to make it not so good for PVE).
    • (Addendum to previous) Some games treat crafted gear as necessarily inferior to raid gear. A few treat it as the best source of gear bar none. It's about time someone gave it equal footing.