1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Elder Game Itemization Goals

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Gortok, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

A set bonus? You can't get the full benefit of the gear unless you invest several slots into it? Trying to keep people from dipping one point into another groups gear might be impossible outside of arbitrary restrictions.

You could re-spin things to be a positive. Maybe the gear doesn't raise your threat, but gives you more DPS the more aggro you have? Now it's not a penalty, but a buff. Still won't see it in a raid though.

Messing up small group play would be a problem. Though I don't think you can make gear that is good for group and solo without it also being good in raids that seems like a 1+2=0 problem. Though what pops up has a lot to do with the encounters. You can pick and choose what aspects are included in the quest content.

EDIT: Actually the ability to control what aspects show up in what content really helps balance things out. Like if raid monsters didn't critical, but solo monsters did. Then any crit resistance would be a stat useful in one group but not the other. It's arbitrary , but not too arbitrary.

Balance is always tricky.

Being able to customize your gear throws all kinds of wrenches in the system. I have no idea how you whould fix that or if you would want to. Maybe it's good to have some overlap?
    NoInterVention likes this.
  2. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Holy crud , maybe that's where the mini pet system comes in. They said they were saving it for a big reveal , so maybe you can tame companions that are only active when solo or in the world and solo gear buffs them.

Probably not though since balancing pets with telegraphs could be really hard but that would be interesting.
    CRB_Gortok likes this.
  3. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

I would hope not. Mini pets are cool and I'm all for them being around, but having "buffs your mini pet" be the only thing that differentiates solo gear from raid gear sounds like it would be pretty bleh. It'd be cool for people who enjoy managing pet AI to have gear sets/chips with pet buffs, since it's almost like adding a pet class without actually creating a whole new class... but I'm not seeing it as universally appealing.

It seems like a pretty hard question and I don't have enough experience in MMO playing (and none in raiding whatsoever) to propose an answer. Still, I'm very excited that it was asked at all. It's pretty cool that the devs acknowledge there are people who dislike raiding/large group content but enjoy progression and getting the biggest numbers they can out of their gear.
    nomotog likes this.
  4. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Yes whatever they come out with, I'm very intrigued.
    Cottonspore likes this.
  5. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

Solo gear and raid gear should progress in a similar manner. Of course in exchange for the time and effort raid gear takes, considering it is a group effort, solo gear should be a rather complex or long time sink. Basically, to obtain a piece of gear in a solo manner it should represent similar effort to that of 5, 20 or 40 people.

In regards to difference in the actual gear, the raid and PvP gear should get stronger bonuses based around working with others. For example a solo piece of gear might give X boost/effect if the player does something. However, raid gear might give or get X boost/effect to the player or nearby allies if they do something or receive an effect from a teammate.
  6. 5TiCK

5TiCK New Cupcake

I just hope that there is a HUGE armor skin variety, that are incredibly badass looking in different ways.
    Cottonspore likes this.
  7. Compella

Compella Cupcake

+monster dmg +monster defence for Solo gear could work however the open world mobs would need to be scaled to be made challenging, otherwise it would be too trivial.

Raiders and PvPers could possibly find themselves trying to kill these tougher mobs for materials, drops etc and it will be too difficult. If I'm a raider decked in 40 man loot and I attempt to kill an open world mob without success... I would be annoyed.

I think you're trying to hit too many angles and people won't want 3 sets of gear. Profession and reputation rewards could be rewarding enough (20man raid quality).
    I will continue to think of solutions.
    Milamilou likes this.
  8. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

For solo gear, I believe having additional equip bonuses like: % increase on gold dropped, % more damage done to mobs in open world, % more reputation gained, heal on hit, % increase on drop rates for housing, a chance at dropping gathering materials, etc. They can have less stats and use these bonuses to make up for them while still allowing them to be 'entry level' for raids/pvp.
    CRB_Gortok, Myrrdhinn and Rumze like this.
  9. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Gear from achievements?.... They won't call me crazy anymore as I go for those insane achievement ratings and scores now!!!...
    Snorf likes this.
  10. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Two things off the top of my head: set bonuses and unique, potentially locked ability chips that play to a solo/small group scenario.

I'm a bit distracted with an RP scene right now, but I think that would be a good place to start.
  11. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

Im not so keen on the idea of having separate sets of gear for solo/small group and raid play. To me, all 3 types of content full under the category of pve, and the progression should not be separate. Now im not saying that soloers should not be rewarded, if you put a lot of effort into any aspect of the game, you should receive rewards. The problem always comes back to, how hard and involved can they make solo and small group content. If its not as hard as a raid then raid gear should be better overall.

If you are going to have separate and equal gear progression paths for pve, why would pvp content be the same. In other words, if you do think that soloers need to get the best soloing gear, should pvp players who only do BG's also get the best BG gear, or should warplots give better all around gear?
    Milamilou, Zivec and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  12. Purple Rose

Purple Rose Cupcake-About-Town

Hey Gortok,
    Thanks for taking some time yet again to talk to us.Its really nice from your part.
    I have a question.
    How connected is the gear progression from both crafting and raid from tier to tier?
    I mean lets say we start with T1.People start raiding and crafting.When tier 2 comes live how important it will be to continue T1 and are new players going to do T1 or they are going to skip it straight to T2.
    A fine example of that progression was Vanilla WoW and TBC.You want that model or you want MOP model that you can easily jump from Tiers?
    Thanks in advance

hope you dont mean we are going to have the same system with WoW that you can farm dungeons and take BIS Items.
    NoInterVention likes this.
  13. lusciifi

Not to put words in his mouth, but i think hes talking about for getting an achievement for killing a raid boss unlocking worse versions of items on its loot table.

I could also see really hard non raid achievements like a meta achievement for doing everything in all the dungeons proving some BiS loot.

In my opinion its a great system, because it fixes the issue of a guild only being able to kill one boss in still being able to get a full set of gear given enough time. Then again, i might have completely misunderstood the post.
  14. Purple Rose

Purple Rose Cupcake-About-Town

Did i?
    I just asked a question that is kinda specific
    And i think that they mentioned good gear only from raids....If i am mistaken sorry
  15. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Solo & Small Group (SSG).
    SSG is not synonymous with casual; we’re talking about Elder game here. There are Solo and 5man Group dungeons, and the Devs have said that these are going to be difficult. This means that SSG gear needs to aid your gameplay just like Raider gear does.

This was actually discusses in another thread, and a slot-able buff (chip) was mentioned. I came up with this,

Circuit Board.png

the idea being that you would slot up the same piece of gear with chips that turned on for the specific event, and would buff the stats that are on the piece of gear the amount that was set for the specific event (I.e. Solo +5% per tier, 5man +7% per tier, 20man +10% per tier, 40man +15% per tier).

This would mean that for the above piece of gear if you were doing a Solo dungeon you would buff the Dex and Wis (pre name change) 10%, but if you were doing a 40man Raid for the first time there would be no buff to your stats. These chips would drop off of Boss MOBs only.
    Hy'Tchok likes this.
  16. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

I brought this up at tonight's Late Night Dominion so I'll bring the same comparison up here...

I once quoted Ryahl Smith of MMORPG.com for comparing two legendary weapons; Anduril, the forged blade from J.R.R Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' series and Excalibur, the fabled sword found by King Arthur from Sir Thomas Malory's 'Le Morte d'Arthur'. On one hand you have a legendary sword forged anew by Elvish smiths, yet on the other hand you have a legendary sword acquired during an adventure.

Given these examples; why shouldn't the two be able to co-exist? Lets take World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King for example; during the raid on Icecrown Citadel players were given a quest to achieve the legendary two-handed ax, Shadowmourne. During a certain step of this quest line, players were sent into the Citadel to collect twenty-five 'Shadowfrost Shards'. If I remember correctly, these shards dropped in addition to the normal loot tables that each boss had assigned.

Using that same method of loot; would it not be possible to implement a crafting material required to create a weapon of the very same caliber as the weapons already implemented on a raid encounter's loot table? And would it not be possible to only be able to roll on said material if you are of that tier of trade skill (similar to World of Warcraft item rolling for certain bind on pickup recipes)? For example:
    Now let's say that 'Material (Y)' can be used to craft any weapon type of the identical tier. For example (and yes, we'll use names from Guild Wars 2); an artificer could use 'Material (Y)' to craft themselves a (Bind on Pickup) Result (B) Staff using a schematic featuring microchips with an identical stat weight to 'Sword (A)', while a huntsman could use 'Material (Y)' to make a Result (B) Rifle variation. For conflict sake though, we'll say that Result (B) also ended up being a sword...

...from here; it'd be the designer's decision on how to handle the visual difference between items crafted and items looted. However, the easiest answer would be to use similar skins with slightly visible differences... for example, the Guild Wars 2 way:
    The main reason for this suggestion is co-existence. There is no reason to assume that the 'hardcore crafter' would not be willing to attend a raid upon reaching level cap... in the same breath, there is no reason to assume that the 'hardcore raider' could not also be one who crafts. For example; my main focus will be crafting, but if you think I'm missing out on all that end-game content just because I like a workbench as much as a dungeon... you'd be wrong. However, I'd also like an incentive for being a crafter while attending these raids. If not the suggestion previously mentioned in this post; then perhaps Bind on Pick up recipes/schematics using high quality materials.
  17. lusciifi

By "putting words in his mouth" i was talking about the post from gortok. I was interpreting the OP.
  18. Galosha

Galosha Cupcake

I only have one idea that was inspirited from some posters in this thread.
    Solo and group/raid gear should have same basic stats (same amount str/wis...) but where group/raid gear get flat bonuses to crit chance, crit bonus, evade etc. Solo gear should get active buff with this stats or even better, that get removed when you accept invite in group and can't be triggered if you in group.
    Example:
    group gained sword give you - 100-200 dmg, 60 str, 40 sta, 5% crit chance, 10% crit bonus.
    solo gained sword - 100-200 dmg, 60 str, 40 sta, 2% crit chance, 5% crit bonus and (5% crit chance, 10% crit bonus) - buff that need to be activated.
    Group gear would be competitive in solo content but not better, and solo gear would be average in occasional dungeon run but not gimped or overpowered.

P.S. Sorry for my english.
  19. XPhiler

XPhiler Cupcake

I think my idea would be pretty close to what Jeuraud said but with a few subtle difference.

So why idea is intended to address a few specific issues.

1. Solo gear should be inferior to raid gear so as to promote people to raid as much as possible.
    2. people who can mostly solo shouldnt be cut out from helping in a raid if they choose to

hence my idea is primarily this. Gear acquired by solo play will have less stats then gear acquired by raiding but in a raid it will scale up perhaps not as high as raiding gear itself but high enough so that people in the raid will not kick you for being too sub par.

This could be achieved by perhaps having Solo only chips that have additional bonuses when you're part of a raid. Being a lore buff this difference has to be explained so lets say these solo only chips have limited processing power and for the additional bonus to work that processing power has to be bridged by forming a kind of distributed computing environment where the chips of all people in the raid work in tandem. That can explain why the chip bonuses scale with the raid size. At the same time Chips or gear dropped by raid bosses are powerful enough for these bonuses to work all the time.

Hence with this system raid gear will be better then solo gear because it has max stats even if the raider decides to run some solo content. At the same time solo only gear will be a bit sub par compared to raid gear when doing solo play but pretty close to raid gear when raiding. This should make raid gear more desirable since it will save time when soloing but at the same time solo gear will not mean people will not want you in their raid cause your gear is sub par.
    Zybak likes this.
  20. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

I think it would be cool to be the other way around - pets buff you. If you have your pet out (which you can't have out in a raid group) then you get stat bonuses from it (including special perks).

This could mean you could have a variety of pets that help you in different situations, could be really cool for soloers to have a special bragging right collectable like that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.