1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Elder Game / Raid gear and how to not make raids mandatory for non raiders

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Fownie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. EtherealOmega

EtherealOmega Cupcake-About-Town

Here! Here!

MMO anything (even text-based strategy games) used to be synonymous with a social experience. I'm not exactly sure how/why that changed other than WoW introducing LFG queues. I miss blacklisting people from groups because they did not know how to play well with others. Not being the best Mage/Warrior/Priest did not get you blacklisted. Constantly rolling on gear you don't actually did or being a jerk while in group would. There is zero accountability for one's behavior nowadays. Bringing back core group content alongside great solo play would make this the most amazing thing ever.
    Calahan likes this.
  2. Calahan

Calahan Cupcake-About-Town

Finaly at least one person, who understands me. Thank you. ^^
  3. EtherealOmega

I'm actually hoping that the gear/stats I need for Solo Play are completely irrelevant for group content (read Raiding/Expert Dungeons) and vice versa. If so, end-game in Wildstar will be soooooo amazing and I will have to quit my job and become a house husband.
  4. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Here is your answer why. People really need to stop blaming lfd.
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2005/12/09/forcing-interaction/
  5. Kayelia

Kayelia Cupcake

"In party" is not the same as soloing. I was explicitly talking about 2+ people here.

I have seen a solo encounter designed around those concepts. The Skyscream quest from Jade Dynasty.

There are two ways to get through this quest. One way is to try to out-heal it's damage. This is easier said than done as Skyscream repeatedly bleeds the player for 75-90% of player's max hp. That's on top of his other attacks. The other is to use the game's aggro rules to force Skyscream to stop attacking. He'll still do the bleed, but less frequently, allowing the player time to recover.

The only reason solo players don't care about aggro is they aren't given a reason to be concerned about it. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Give a solo player a reason to care, and they will.

Finally, the one big thing a tank does for the party is deal with many attacks from the boss. That's why a tank has to worry about aggro in the first place. That part doesn't go away just because a person is alone. In other words, the underlying reasons for a role don't just vanish. They're all placed onto the soloer's shoulders.
  6. EtherealOmega

Thanks for making me feel like an old, dirty nerd lol. I saw LegendMUD and started to reminiscence...

Its a very nice article that references other nice articles that attempt to make sense of player behaviors while active in a MMO. Lots of good points, some proven wrong, in those articles. Lots of think on. Thanks for dredging that up!

And yes, that video should be part of signing up for a forum anywhere :D