1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

End Game gear

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Banelight, Apr 25, 2013.

?

How do you want to get your end game gear?

1. Grind instance for drop

33.0%
  2. Buy gear with currency gained buy doing instances

1.0%
  3. Both of the above....if unluck on drops want to eventualy be able to buy gear

65.0%
  4. Dont really care...either way

1.0%
  1. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I think this needs to be reiterated .

Carbine has said their elder content will consist of raiding, pvp, 5 man stuff and solo content.
    As such we will see different progression paths for these.

I think everyone needs to reset what their know and approach it from a new angle.

Ask not what other paths are getting. Ask what your path will reward you.
    Aresk and Calsic like this.
  2. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

So be it. One will be favored, and if 40 man raids offer significantly better loot than the rest it will become the focus. I'm all for solo content being horrible for raiding and PvP but better for solo content if that's the true reason. If someone wants to enjoy pet battling as end game so be it. I'm starting to think this is just pussy-footing though. No raider wants gear to be better at solo content yet solo content would like to relevant in raid content? It sounds like a different game. You're starting to make me excited about the Elder Games now it's just I'd like to see a Carbine-like Wow and not a Carbon one.
  3. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

That's exactly what I want. Solo gear terrible for raiding while raiding gear is suboptimal for tough PLO content.

Can't wait for more elder content info!
    Mailroomclerk likes this.
  4. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

This doesn't make any sense. >_> WildStar is not WoW.
  5. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

I couldn't agree more, Naunet.
  6. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

I think we need a game that restablishe the value of "color", since wotlk we are in a period where green/blue items are just temporary gargabe to access the only valuable color : purple ( orange too maybe :D ) And actually this is sad, if dungeon give you purple, solo give you purple, raid give you purple, craft give you purple, walking in the capital give you purple, what is the point?

You will stick to the content you are doing cause you feel it s rewarding enough and you will miss 80% of the PvE, stuff come along with difficulty, i don't see solo content as difficult for now, i see groups more demanding than solo, on coordination on concentration required on optimization required, and raids are even more demanding than groups.

I would be happy to see Strong green at the end of solo content, like you can start dungeon little time after you caped but you can explore the whole solo experience and then want to explore more side of the game to be able to acquire the magic blue items so you get into a dungeon and say : " Why didn't i try this weeks ago!" . In the same logic, i feel dungeons shoudl give Strong blues, and raid Strong epic ( capitalization of the S is on purpose :D ) .

In this optic, i think 3 version of tier set would be awesome, green version,blue version,purple version with slight upgrading for the Hard counterparts of all.

As for crafting, i would go with green/blue/purple craftable things, depending on the difficult of the recipe, maybe ingredients for a purple thing only findable in raids or hard dungeons.

This way epic would return to what they are, epics. and blues the same, not epic, but definitely the best items you can get before purple.

EDIT : Forgot to talk about it, but this feeling is only valid towards a "classic" Elder game and Carbine can completely smash our prejudices about it

TL;DR : Make the word epic regain his native sense. Solo = Green Dungeons = Blue Raids = Purple
    Craft = All depending on the difficulty of the recipe. Make green and blue a goal and not a way of getting purples.
  7. Sera

Sera New Cupcake

It's a game, people play for a variety of reasons, ultimately it is in all our interests to have a health relatively large player base. How does it effect you if someone wants to have raid gear but not raid?

If they want it let them have it via some means that they chose to gain it....and play the game your own way...
  8. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

It effects raids as a whole. That goes back to the effort vs reward argument and taking the path of least resistance. If you can solo and get raid gear then that's what a large portion of people will do. In an MMO pretty much everything effects someone else and the way the game plays out. It's a lot like the real world in that regard.

I'm aware that I'm coming off as some sort of elitist that thinks everyone should play the game their way, but I'm more interested in the large-scale raiding this game promises than anything else. It just sems like everyone has gotten used to playing games that reward people for taking the easier path and they're trying to bring that to W*.
  9. Vog

Vog New Cupcake

Some thoughts:
    -The best gear should come from group Elder Content, so 20 man raids, 40 man raids and Warplots.
    -Strict restriction on rarity color, don't dilute the epic gear by putting it in 5 mans or quests like WoW has.
    -The best raid gear should come from boss drops, tokens can be used to buy inferior itemized (off-)pieces to fill out dry-streaks in gear.
    -Crafted gear should be on par with token gear, and new raid content should go together with new craft recipes to make sure the gap between raiding gear and crafted gear doesn't become too big, so alts/new players can catch up.
  10. MassFragg

MassFragg Cupcake

tokens worked well to balance out if you didnt' get any gear in a particular raid that week. But I don't think you should be able to grind tokens and purchase a full set of gear
  11. Inimicus

Inimicus Cupcake

Tokens are fine to ensure you can keep up if having bad drop luck. But in my opinion they shouldn't let you buy BiS and there should be Raid/Path/Instance specific gear that is specifically designed to be of benefit to you in the way you play. Even when i stopped raiding it was always nice to see someone with X weapon that you knew only comes from Boss Y.

I do think that the power level of items should increase based on the difficulty of what the player does (even if same gear perhaps slightly higher ilvl) solo<5man<20man<40man, i remember at one point in WoW this was the case, normal instances would give you ilvl 250 (made up number) and the heroic version gave ilvl 275 etc

Now i know it's not WoW and if they can come up with a better way i'm all for it, i'm not against 20 mans and 40 mans being different raids, i don't necessarily agree with the idea that this denies certain people from experiencing content, if it was that important to them then they would do the required system for the content, maybe have 20 man and 40 man raids be separate paths in the same area (if i remember correctly AQ was like this) different bosses, different loot, different challenges, same overlying story arc.

One thought i had was making the end boss the same in both and tuning that for the raid size and that be the only real overlap. For example, you come upon a fortress and you need to get in and take out the king, your main force (40 man) force their way in the front door and start smacking them around, at the same time your second force (20 man) sneak in the back and take a different route. Both groups have the same aim, find and defeat the king, both go about it a slightly different way but reach the throne in the end.

P.S, i apologise that this was about gear and raids not just gear as per title
    Outlaw likes this.
  12. AnotherJaggens

AnotherJaggens Cupcake-About-Town

TBC was perfect in every sense. Yeah, drama. Drama is healthy for people, it lets them blow out some steam. Yeah, constant fights over most popular tokens (not badges!), and backstabbing so less people that could roll those tokens come online. Fun stuff.

Badges made it way too easy on a person. "Yeah, I didn't roll that thing, but I've got 1 badge and a 2 weeks later I'll have enough to get thing that is identical in stats, but looks like <REDACTED>". That mindset is poisoning. Not everyone will get something today. Maybe tommorow, but don't get your hopes too high. Is it unfair? Bug your RL about proper distribution or deal with it.
  13. Zyfreit

Zyfreit Cupcake

I voted both, mainly because I still have nightmares about MC in WoW. After months and months of clears I was still using blue weapons. I don't mind the grind typically, but long streaks of bad luck really get to you after a while. The "tokens" should not be overly excessive or easy to get either. I would like to see something like after 5 or 6 full clears you can buy an item. It would be awesome if Carbine could award tokens based on whether or not you received top quality loot. That would prevent those lucky punks that have their full sets drop in the first run from also having a stash of tokens.
  14. Inimicus

Inimicus Cupcake

I don't think this could happen, only thing i could think of is the Boss (in a 20 man as example) dropping 3 gear items and 17 tokens, those that get gear don't get a token, problem is what happens if the gear isn't needed by anyone? or if one person needs more than 1 item?

A nice idea i admit but i am fairly certain it couldn't be implemented without some huge issues.
  15. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I'm more of the grind until I get exactly what I want type. If the instance drops the best gear in the game and it's got 5 slots but very, very rarely it drops in 6 slot form, I'll farm until I have a set of 6 slot gear or the next wave of content comes out.

However, I understand that some people don't have the time or the patience to do that. Maybe something like giving tokens to get gear, but not until the next wave of content comes out? That way people don't get left behind because they've got horrible luck, but they'll have to run that instance a few more times. It'd also help people new to the game get to where they need to be quicker. Sounds like a fine compromise. To me anyway.

Hm, after reading my post I think that's the exact thing that happens in a lot of games. New playrs come in when the previous content has gotten easier and expect the rest of the game and any game after to be that easy. What a conundrum...
    MeakGG likes this.
  16. Teri

Teri New Cupcake

Good pool , I like to have 2 option for my gear grinding dungeon is nice but when yo only need 1 item and he never drop I like to have another way to get it
  17. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

Luck, chance, these are all things that are exciting. Having gear wired to you by instant deposit is not (Wake up wake up, it's da first of da moooooonth.) It's why we enjoy gambling. You spend time in a dungeon for a chance for some loot, hence your reason for venturing in the first place. There is no chance anymore, you spend time in a dungeon where gear=now. There is a major difference between these two as one adds value across ALL ITEMS in the game and the other does not.

It started with reputation, which turned out to be a pretty decent way of unlocking lower stat off pieces or what have you. You gained rep from killing things in the raid, that is how your time was measured. It was a grind that wasn't a grind for you accumulated it naturally as you progressed deeper in the dungeon. Others could take advantage of the rep grind by killing everything that grants rep in the raid and other guilds may choose not to. Whether it felt forced or not, I don't know, rep grinds are one of those things that make sense for it to exist but doesn't sound very appealing. Reputation got pulled and this sort of badge/token/goodiebag/participationtrophy/etc was put in place. I think they both kind of suck but with rep grinding (in raids, for raids) you didn't feel too gated depending on raid lockout/trash and you likely could choose whether you wanted to grind out the rep for the advantage. Nothing like what is seen in LFR, the rep rewards would be a set of bracers or maybe something cool like a shield for tanks or healers needing a boost in a new raid. LFR felt forced, it offered a full set of gear and ugh I just really hate LFR its kind of making me sick thinking about it to be honest. I only bring it up because it was part of the "filling in the gaps" process that just doesn't work. Anyways, you grind and unlock the rep eventually and get a couple items you may or may not have better gear than. Using tokens was just a simpler way of doing this but with controlled drops, meaning you must kill this many bosses for this many tokens to get this item and you can only do this THIS many times this week/month whatever (Lol).

Both ways kind of suck. I think this is why those epics and blues meant something. You had blues because you weren't getting epics, bottom line. Doesn't matter if you were clearing raid content, if you didn't get the drops, you will have some blues. That's when the game was played for fun and not a job where you work for a paycheck, instead you raid a dungeon for the chance of something rare. Put a 5 man together, do bad, wipe and the only thing you gained was a repair bill. This stuff happens happened. Recruit better players next time or improve your game. What is the success rate of any 5 man dungeon these days? :rolleyes: Rarity adds value to everything. It can also bring length to your game. Not only by those playing the slot machine with boss drops but those who already did and have an item. If that person stepped away for a while they could come back and still be viable and not stuck behind the grind. This would only work if item distribution is handled correctly - following a "rare" format. I wouldn't want Wildstar to follow a trend where a majority of it's players were doing patch month content clears and sitting on their characters for a few months before doing it again.

I feel like we play the game for moments. It's hard to argue a feeling or talk about how you want something out of reach to make it more appeasing. When you talk about changing the game too much it begins to get tiring and takes the fun away from it. Try twisting this one around as much as possible in your mind but having something others don't brings value and has likely drawn your interest. If you just played the game and experienced the feeling of getting 1 epic piece of gear, that only drops from that boss, takes 39 guys to help and know that you have this item and others do not, you will see how much more attachment you will have to your character and that item. Those were big moments. I don't see how that compares to being in a raid that generates random players where everyone gets parting gifts and many other people are getting the same thing. It's not personal; it means nothing to you.
    Dnevnoy, Outlaw and MeakGG like this.
  18. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

No one will argue solo stuff should reward the best gear. It should have a path of progression and reward gear that makes solo play easier. It probably wont even be close to raid gear.

Raiding is not going to be what everyone gets funneled into. You may as well rail against pvpers who don't want to raid.

I don't know if you're just skimming through responses and not reading them properly.
  19. Dnevnoy

Dnevnoy Cupcake-About-Town

This is a point that it seems many people just don't understand. QFE.

There is a quote from the Matrix where they talk about how they tried to create a perfect world with no problems and "whole crops were lost" because human's just don't cope with that. I think that's the problem with MMO development atm. Developers try to give the players everything and because everyone ends up with everything no one is truly satisfied.
    Mailroomclerk and CRB_Gortok like this.
  20. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Both.

Instance drops: superior gear, a few pieces maybe even bis. Raid entry-level gear.
    Gear for tokens from instances: equivalent to average raid gear.