1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

End Game & Raiding

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jinxis, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

It is hard to find a guild that you can all enjoy, just try limiting down the options - figure out some of the things you want as a group and go from there. Our guild hasn't really got enough for 20s but has too many to join another. Just sort out when you guys want to play, put something in the guilds and circles thread and maybe you'll find your dream guild. :)
  2. Pattybigrig

Pattybigrig New Cupcake

I think 25 is rediculous, 40 is a little much for me personally. I can see how they would be cool to some, and I definetly like that their added..but 10 and 8 man raids shouldnt just be left out..Thats what a lot of newer raiders are used to, and what a lot of ppl like obviously as most games have kinda moved away from the larger raid groups.

I feel like leaving the smaller groups out has the POTENTIAL to really hurt the game from a PVE raiding standpoint..and seeing how there are a lot of raiders it could hurt the game from a sub standpoint(assuming its a subscription based game which I would put my money on it will be. Not saying it will, just saying it could.

Ill be keeping up with this for sure..praying they add 8 or 10 man options during Beta..I know the chances of them adding a seperate 8/10 man raid is unlikely UNLESS there already working on it but yeah.
    Naunet likes this.
  3. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

IMO not raids.
    Haoli, MeakGG, Calsic and 1 other person like this.
  4. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

All games having the same game play is not a good thing. Wild star doesn't need to cater to the same crowd as other mmos to be successful. And even if they did, you could just end up with a game like TOR where everyone leaves after the first 2 months.

I think http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7161-Perfect-Pasta-Sauce illustrates my point. There is no perfect mmo only perfect mmo's.
  5. Purple Rose

Purple Rose Cupcake-About-Town

10 mans were the first raids.At least at wow.
    Stratholme and Scholomance!

8Man raids were included in the most awesome MMORPG in history.How dare you judge em?
    Aheadache likes this.
  6. Ninereeds

Ninereeds Cupcake-About-Town

Welcome to the boards by the way.

I hope you aren't totally turned off of Wildstar due to the size of the raids. From what I've read there will still be lots of things to do like world events and so on that you can do in a group that size, just not official raids. You can always have your group of 10 or so people partner with another group of 10 or so and raid together. I can definitely understand being bummed about not having that option though if that's what you were set on.

I went on a few large raids in the past and I didn't have a great time, but I definitely understand the appeal and am glad that I'll have a chance to try them out again. It's something that just isn't in MMOs anymore and many people miss that chance to have an epic adventure with a large group. If you haven't tried it yet it's worth a shot, you never know until you try. :)
  7. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Mmm, obviously not SWTOR but go ahead and indulge me. I'm a relative (3-4 years) newcomer to the genre.

I might come across as flippant but 10 man 'raids' did nothing for me. 20 mans in Rift were always the big draw and the thought of 40's makes me moist. It's unfortunate that the OP thinks they can;t get along with the thought of only having 20 and 40s but there are other games that cater for smaller groups.
  8. SituationSoap

SituationSoap Cupcake-About-Town

10 man raid groups are damaging to a game's community for precisely the reason you want them to exist.

10 man raid groups are small enough that they can essentially be totally insulated; they might need to replace a player once a year or so, but more likely is that the same 10-13 people show up every week, and the raid is either successful or collapses completely. Everyone is so important that no one can ever leave, and more importantly, no one can ever break in. From the purpose of social lubrication, your group probably only ever plays with one another, perhaps rarely venturing out into a small group of outsiders.

I can understand that this would be disappointing to someone like yourself who is used to the idea of only ever having to play with your friends, I get that. Unfortunately, it's actually much worse for the game as a whole. The game is better when players have to venture outside their personal comfort zones, because it means that you're interacting with new people all the time. I made lots of great friends raiding 40 mans in Vanilla WoW, and basically met no one I could remember raiding 10 mans in Cataclysm. Why? Because no one in our group ever changed.

You'll hear lots of people claim that "easy epics" were what ruined World of Warcraft and the sense of community that it fostered in the Vanilla/TBC days, but that's flat out untrue. It was the ability for people who would normally form the bulk of a particular raiding guild being able to split off into their own little ten man and continue to run the content. They're the lubricant that keeps a max-level server community from stagnating, and by allowing them their small raid size, Blizzard allowed those communities to become more and more stagnant until eventually they were fairly poisonous to new players. This is part of the reason that new servers remain incredibly popular on WoW to this day -- it's a place where players can play where the cliques haven't solidified beyond the point where one can enter them.

I think the 40 man raid size is one of the things that Carbine is doing the most right. It may mean that I'm not reasonably able to enjoy any kind of regular raiding, but it's a good idea none the less.
    MeakGG, Alverad, Calsic and 1 other person like this.
  9. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Please be DCUO and not SWTOR... I can handle that, I don't agree but I can handle that.
  10. Epic

Epic New Cupcake

Two things. 1) Nice avatar :D. Hopefully they can pull it together this week and make the playoffs. B) I was going to make a long winded post, but it would basically say exactly what you said. I literally agree with nearly every single point you made. Good job haha. I never got a chance to run 40 man content and was never included in 10/25 man content even because the friends that got me into the game already had set-in-stone raiding groups with two or three alternates. This really turned me off to the end game and I never really got into it. I'm hoping with this game I can find a large enough guild eventually that I can do whatever content with different people, or that there are lots of small guilds willing to work together on content.
    SituationSoap likes this.
  11. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Shame that you aren't happy about the raid sizes, but better you know now and figure out what you want to do.
  12. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

Not having 10 mans won't hurt the game, you will feel mad that it has no 10 mans but then you suck it up and switch to 20/40 mans, that's how it works. Be it 25 or 40 mans, it hasn't ever stopped anyone from raiding. The number of people doing 10+25mans is total the same as when there where 25 and 40 mans in game, stop making up <REDACTED>. People adjust to the environment.
  13. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

20mens aren't really reserved just for big mean guilds. You can have an awesome friendly guild at 30-40 members just as much as you can with 15 :) And WS being a brand new game, recruiting won't be a problem, especially if you start now. By the time the game launches, you'll know some of the people that joined in just aswell as you know your friends now:) Plus, you really want to go a little bigger for the Warplots. Even if you are not a PVPer, I can't see anyone passing on that awesome idea, even if just on the off nights:)
  14. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Can't stress this enough. Our guild has well over 50 people on and off, usually around 15 regulars.

I know all but around 5 of them and can get along quite well with all of them. Some of my biggest problems are with another of the leaders but we are civilised so we tend to get along well.

People who I have previously banned (and who have deleted me from Facebook and Steam) have come back after a few months after returning to a more friendly state.

All these things really make our big group work. It's just finding new people which is our problem. :p

PS: Sorry if this sounds recruity, it kind of is. Just giving good examples from my experience.
    Alverad likes this.
  15. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Riiiiight... because someone who is close friends with 9 other people isn't actually social... >_>

Okay, but your opinion does not a definition of the word make. I can easily say "40 man raids do nothing for me", and that statement is just as valid.

I severely doubt this. More people means means less chance to individually get to know everyone means more cliques means more drama means an overall worse social experience.

There is a reason smaller class sizes are encouraged in education.
  16. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

And cliques are not it. Its about instructor/student ratio not about how many students are in one place.

Its about moving out of your comfort zone. For games like tor where i took 8 people i knew from rift and could do all the content there was no need to meet new people. I just stuck with the same people every night. And if you need a replacement, whoever joins ends up feeling like a huge outsider.
    MeakGG and SituationSoap like this.
  17. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Welcome to the internet.
  18. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

That is one reason, but as a teacher myself, I understand it's not the only one. Smaller classes also support healthier group discussion and interaction. A student is more likely to speak up in a smaller group than they would be in a class size of 30+, and they are much more likely to interact positively with their fellow students. The smaller class size not only provides them with a better student-teacher experience; it also encourages a more positive social, student-student experience. It's a lot harder to sit in a corner unnoticed when your class is only made up of 10 students.
  19. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

I'm basing this statement on my own experience. Two raiding guilds I've been with during my 6 years in WoW, where what one would consider medium size communities. In both cases it was great. And the last one, is still strong, we migrated from WoW to a number of other games, yet still manage to hang out together, both online and in some cases in real life.

Drama can happen anywhere, ironically, most drama I've witnessed was while I was leveling in a guild of 6 lol.
    Be a little more positive, and maybe even picky of whom you play with, but there are greatpeople out there, in any game. And inviting players to a community pre game launch, when you have plenty of time to get to know one another, is really an awesome way to ensure you at the least will have a smooth start.

Sure it can, but it's really up to the people in that guild to make them feel awesome. If your only concern is getting the last spot filled in, than chances are it won't work. But if you genuinly want to make a playing buddy, that there really is no reason for anyone to feel alienated. Again, maybe I've been extremely lucky, but in my guild, when a new person joins, he/she is at the center of attention for at least a week lol. Curiosity, trying to make that person feel welcome and stay with us.
    Calsic likes this.
  20. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

as long as they stick to their promise to focus the elder game content updates on the single player content, not the hardcore raider content (which WoW did), then I'm perfectly fine with people having 40man raids.

I just hope they include "dungeon" versions which let us see the lore content of it without necessarily having to man up with a heavily coordinated 40 man group.