1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Enemy NPC Interaction

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MiZTiiX, Jun 28, 2012.

1. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

I was thinking maybe you can make enemies/mobs interact with you/ the enviroment in a different way. feedback and other ideas I'm sure would be appreciated by the developers :)

1) Enemies don't have to always be in a specific spot/follow a specific path, they can just be freely wondering around the area (unless they are gaurding something)

2) When an enemy spots you, he walk towards you gradually (like assasins creed) and only chases you when he fully spots you.

3) Muggers/robbers in certain places will demand money to allow you to carry on,if you refuse they will attack

4) Certain mobs have other rival mobs e.g muggers that are chasing you will stop if they see a dangerous wolf, they will either yell "WOLF! run away" (add some humour) and run like cowards or fight of the wolf. This makes the world more dynamic as NPC's don't only fight you but eachother aswell, and you may enounter different fights between NPCs that happened naturally.

5) Once you lose aggro from a mob, you see them catching their breath and they walk back to their area (not neccesarily the same spot they were in, unless they were gaurding something) or they may get lost and not return, this opens up another gameplay aspect where players can be the bait and be the distractions. Also it would be cool if you can maybe pick stuff off the floor and throw it as a distraction.

6) If you undead walking over undead land, zombiers may spawn and start grappling your legs out of the ground.

7) Some NPCs may be neutral and not atatck you unless you get TOO close, however if you do get caught stealing/killing them they will become enemies to you.

8) If you implement a night cycle in the game (which you should) Some enemies may change or become stronger e.g some humanoids may turn into werewolf gaining different abilities. Some creatures e.g wolfs become more blood thirsty and viscious. Zombies may spawn more regualry and have a bigger aggro rate etc. Also have items like torches so you can see your way because it should be very dark. Torches may need to change batteries if used for too long/ or have an old fashioned fire torch.
  2. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I'm all for interaction, especially dynamic situations around us, the player. Some of it works, and some doesn't. A lot of what you mentioned sound slike a perfect fit for a single player driven RPG (The Elder Scrolls). Mostly the stealing part. I don't think a player character should be able to steal anything from the NPC's. Though as fun as it may be, it just won't work in an MMO. In my opinion. If that NPC caught you and reacted and you killed them, they are no longer available to other players for however long...

I like the sound of enemies reacting to one another, though. It'd be nice to maybe see them walking together "chatting", or every so often stopping at a fire, or making a fire, or interacting with the environment. EVen if it's just them stopping at staring at some part of the Eldan Tech, or pausing in their tracks because they see a boss walking towards them.
  3. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

WoW let you pickpocket NPCs, I did it all the time. However, killing them didn't matter much since they respawned later.
  4. ImmortalExile

Pickpocket enemies, yes. Not shop owners. Maybe I misunderstood the concept in the OP, and definitely worded it wrong. I think of NPC's as the townsfolk, shop owners, etc... not "Mobs".
    I'm all for the pickpocket enemies. Love doing that on my Rogue.
  5. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I don't think that is correct. I pickpoketed NPCs that were not enemies as well iirc. I believe I even had a quest to pickpocket an NPC.
  6. ImmortalExile

Hmmmm. I don't ever remember doing stuff like that as a Rogue. Granted, the only rogue I've ever made was when WotLK came out. Until then I was always a Priest.
  7. MiZTiiX

MiZTiiX Cupcake

everyone will be able to see their own individual item they steal
  8. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I like the idea of having enemies that actively hate each other. So say I bite off a little more than I can chew and end up fighting a bunch of 1 type of enemy, but i know there are a bunch of guys that'll happily fight them nearby I can train them in and even out the fight a little...
  9. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

This is confirmed as in, actually - watch the Carbine Studios Presentation videos over here
  10. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

Your right. There's a lot I missed, like that ESPer flag animation being their heal. So totally playing that class.

Well, the main thing I hope for from NPC interaction is in... They can pretty much just take my money.