1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Engineer during the Medic livestream

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Skippy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

I was extremely excited to see the Engineer playing a cameo role during the medic livestream, seeing them in action was pretty awesome. especially the 2v2 duels. When they said the Engineer would be in the dungeon too AND it would be the tank, I was hanging to see how it went as this is how I want to play.

Now my excitement very quickly took a dive when I saw the Engineer was NOT in fact the tank in this dungeon, It is clear that the warrior was tanking and I am wondering if they made a mistake when saying the Engineer would be the tank, or perhaps the person playing the Engineer wasn't so good at it, or maybe the engineer is just no good at tanking?:confused:

What are the thoughts you guys have on this?
  2. Flinder

Flinder Cupcake

They said the Warrior was a DPS build but as you say, player was behaving like a tank.

I've never had any luck with the archives on that site, so I can't look at it again till somebody posts it on Youtube. But could be that the group had the dungeon over-levelled to such a degree that they didn't need proper discipline and could just wade right in. The never really got into any kind of trouble except that one time when the Stalker got pasted.

edit - nope: meerkat is 20, just like the mobs. So much for that theory.
  3. Death

Death Cupcake-About-Town

As posted by CRB_Hugh on Reddit earlier....The Warrior was... sorry for the mix-up. Unbeknownst to us on camera, the Engineer ran into some technical difficulties and had to use a GM cheat to enter the instance. Unfortunately, with that cheat active he was unable to be targeted by NPCs.
    Next week we'll show off some Engineer tanking from the Engineer's perspective.
    CptElendi, Sapien and Sonntam like this.
  4. Skippy

Ahh that explains it all, I don't use twitter so safe to say I didn't see that xD thanks for the info!
  5. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Actually, the stalker was "tanking" just as much as the warrior - that's why he died.
    Whatever was the reason for this, I'm pretty disappointed they didn't wipe and killed the last boss so quickly. Considering both the lack of tank and that they're not using AMPs in these streams, it went incredibly easily.

Also, they were same level as the dungeon - 20. Hope it was just their gear or GM powers... or both : /
  6. Skippy

Actually the Warrior was the dedicated tank, the stalker took damage from his own mistakes, not dodging and such. The warrior would have changed his loadout to be tank oriented rather than DPS. As Siflay said Hugh mentioned on his twitter the Warrior was the tank, so would have been built accordingly.
  7. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Except the mobs were turning away from the warrior and telegraphing the stalker quite a lot - including the time he died. The aggro was a little too jumpy.

Anyway, hopefully we'll have an issue-free stream next week and finally see the tank's PoV! Even if it's still not a stalker tank u__u
  8. Bloddryn

Bloddryn Cupcake

The stalker was Jade again, which rather explains the deaths and being in the telegraphs so often.
    :laugh:

Even though he's apparently the class lead on both the esper and stalker, I do hope they don't bring him back for the stalker stream when they come back around to that. The esper was painful enough.
    CptElendi and Habanero like this.
  9. Wildebeest

Wildebeest Cupcake

It's the first dungeon anyone will play, what did you want, Naxx 40 man difficulty? Most people fumbling around on an MMO need to be eased into things like group oriented combat and team work because they are so used to running around picking their nose and herp derping quest mobs by themselves. I'm SURE the higher level and veteran difficulty dungeons will present a greater challenge.
  10. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

you can see at the start of the dungeon after the engineer appeared that they both switched stances a sword icon popped up over the head of the engineer and a shield icon popped up over the head of the warrior

and yea the stalker got stunned and blasted with them lightning bolts that almost took out the healer immediatly after but he was a bit quicker breaking out the stun.... "breakoutgameplay!"

if it looked easy having a engineer that was untargetable by mobs he could push out as much dps as he wanted without taking aggro and not having to dodge many telegraphs perhaps thats why things went rather smoothly, that and they have been practising so they dont wipe on a boss if they did during a livestream they would be laughed at SO hard not just from fans but they would never be able to get away from it in the office from the other Dev's :laugh:.... not in a mean way though just in good fun
    Sapien likes this.
  11. Skippy

Good catch, I didn't see this. I should probably watch the stream again when I'm more awake.

And yeah the engineer not being able to be targeted could have made things a good amount easier, almost one less character the healer would have to worry about while still getting the benefits of him being there, can make all the difference.
  12. Sarigar

Sarigar Cupcake

They need to keep him off the livestreams. I can't speak to his work as a developer, but I hope he builds classes better than he plays them. Having someone that inept in a group would drive me crazy fast, unless he/she was abundantly charming and/or funny.
    Habanero likes this.
  13. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Unlike a regular Level 20, they had all 8 slots unlocked, plus every ability available to them such as higher level abilities and those unlocked by Amps and judging from what we saw in previous livestreams they are wearing high quality (Blue) gear with higher stats than normal lvl 20 quest gear.

They also stated during the stream that, due to the above, they are more powerful than a typical character at that level. Plus they all knew the fights ofcourse and how you need to coordinate your interrupts on the boss at the same time.
  14. Etan

Etan Cupcake

Never thought about the slots being unlocked xD that will change the dungeon alot just because of required CC and when you only have like 4 or 5 slots it could get rough. If you even get that many slots. I too thought of that last boss being rather easy in that dungeon i felt like the first boss was the most difficult fight in the instance. However with the action set being brought up i feel alot better about this first dungeon.
  15. HaLCyiX

HaLCyiX New Cupcake

Hmm. I actually wonder how many keys one would really need to provide optimal DPS. I haven't tried the game yet, but between resource gains and spending, would you really need more than 4 buttons, after CDs?

1 keybind for resource gain
    1 keybind for resource dump
    1 keybind for resource burst (on a long cd)
    1 keybind for proc (on crit, etc.)

The rest, I would assume, would go to utility. If you had more of the "resource burst on a long cd" option, they would all just go on cd and you'd be wasting resources, no? Otherwise, it sounds like anyone who brings in 8 (or was it 9?) keybinds in their LAS for dps seems like a waste.
  16. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Just noticed that the Medic was Level 30. During the final boss fight the nameplate showed up when he took damage.
  17. Etan

Etan Cupcake

Some abilitys only function after others are used for a combo. Such as a dot needs to be applied for a move to be avalible for use.
  18. Rek

Rek Cupcake-About-Town

Some classes will have options for moving vs a damage boast while standing still. A CC seems like a must bring.
  19. HaLCyiX

HaLCyiX New Cupcake

yes, I understand that a CC is a must bring. But i'm just curious as to whether someone, somewhere down the line is going to bring 8 dps skills on the table and pretend they're good, only b/c "it was an option".
  20. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

There is a multi-page
    thread over in general that is premised on bringing just assault skills.
    So not only is it going to happen; will it be required for Raids by some guilds like some have proposed?

I think it would be dumb gameplay in W*, but I’m not a Raider.