1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Engineer Gameplay and Frost Interview via IGN

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by kongpong, Dec 11, 2013.

1. kongpong

kongpong Cupcake

2. Bloddryn

Bloddryn Cupcake

Nice. Like the channeled electrocute.

Interesting thing around 4:41- the Voresh Sapper spawns, and pretty much comes out of the ground. Anyone know if that is an unfinished spawn animation, or if it is a rather quirky bug?
  3. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

Kinda disappointed we didn't get to see many of the Support skills, but I am more than willing to wait till Saturday to see the Engineer tank in all it's mid-level glory.

Can't wait to see if we get any cool rapid-fire shots, and to see how the tank handles without (or with limited) pets.
  4. Jar_Spiral

Jar_Spiral New Cupcake

Finally its out :D. I really cant wait for the livestream on this one. It would be really interesting how to tank in a range class.
  5. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Check out the Swtor Powertech Bounty Hunter / Vangaurd Trooper , to get an idea of what it will be like.
  6. Jar_Spiral

Jar_Spiral New Cupcake

ty man for reference !
  7. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

I'm not so sure that it will work like the Powertech. In ToR the Powertech tank was basically a melee tank with a few sills that hit at range, your most powerful skills needed to be within melee range to fire off. I don't have any form of confirmation of my suspicions other than the way Frost was playing the Engineer in the Dev interview/commentary on IGN the Engineer prefers to stay a moderate range away from the target, if only to avoid telegraphs. He was also using that jump-back skill rather often. I know he wasn't really showing off the tanking style but I still feel that the Powertech, while an enjoyable comparison and what I hope to emulate when I roll my Engineer, isn't the most apt comparison. I would actually consider the Cleric Tank from RIFT a more apt comparison.
  8. achesoma

achesoma Cupcake

I wouldn't consider PT/Van from SWTOR to be a true ranged tank. I'm hopeful engineer will be different and have actually ranged tanking abilities.

I've also been hankering for a pet class tank. I like pet classes but they typically lack trinity support. Blue line loremaster from lotro could off tank fairly well but not a true tank.
  9. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Frost only played DPS. But the Engineer tank will play a lot like the Powertech, which stood in melee using short-medium ranged spells (except 1 melee ability), and the Engineer will also spend most of the time shooting with their pulse gun in melee with shorter ranged abilities, soaking up the hits with its heavy armour.

The Rift cleric tank is a mace and shield melee fighter with magic abilities and lots of self healing, doesn't really match the engineer.

You may not consider the Engineer a ranged tank either, although it does seems to have ranged abilities, albeit shorter for tanking, it will fight mostly in melee range as mobs want to get up in your face.
  10. Wendo

Wendo Cupcake

True but the interesting thing about being ranged and tanking imo is that with all the telegraph action we are going to see you can keep attacking the boss even when you have to get out of melee range from it. Also being ranged you do not have to move around the mob you are tanking to pick up some stray ones, just stand in melee and shoot the stray ones. Damit i got my self intressted in the engineer to. Now i officily want to play all classes :/

-Wendo
  11. Cesmode

Cesmode Cupcake-About-Town

IMO, Engineer just looks bad. Probably the most uninteresting class, at least for me.

Carbine continues with their 'break the mold' design philosphy and its commendable. I still just dont see how an engineer will work as a tank.

I'll probably stick to either a Warrior, Spellslinger or Esper.
  12. CptElendi

CptElendi Cupcake-About-Town

Well, they will probabbly be a really good off tank ( even if they said that every tank can main tank ). As a range class, it will be easy for them to pick up group of adds in raid that spam randomly during a fight or something like that.
  13. Doc Scudz

Doc Scudz New Cupcake

This is a great looking class. I am a lifelong healer in sooo many guilds, for sooo many mmos, this is the first class to ever sway me from my holy path. Cannons... armor... robots... DPS! sold!