1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Engineer" Weapons

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Archangel, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Rizlah

Rizlah Cupcake

Actually I could see that the other way around.

"Blunderbuss" for tanking since its generally shorter range/in close to tank with.

"Rifle" more for DPSing since its more ranged.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

One weapon for both roles.

Sorry to disappoint but we ain't getting extra weapons at launch for any reason whatsoever.
  3. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

reminds me that I've been itching to try out a Orc fighter in pathfinder who uses 6 blunderbuss'

On an on topic note: I am sure the Rifle or whatever weapon revengineers wield will fit them.
  4. Jicmonster

Jicmonster Cupcake-About-Town

Just looking at pics that are out there of "rifles" on toon's backs, I'd say that the weapon models will probably vary enough that (with the cosmetic system) you could "use" whichever you want.

As far as how it shoots, much like other weapons, I think that will boil down to the attacks used (how they function/how the projectiles appear).
  5. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

I just hope there's a sniper-rifle-esque weapon skin to use. The blunderbuss looks incorrigibly stupid, but the rifles look alright.
  6. Jicmonster

That one looks sniper-rifle-esque
    [​IMG]
  7. Vermana

Oh wow! Not the "Railgun Cannon Badassery" that I was going for, but I'm glad to know that there are actually Sniper Rifles in the game.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

Everything is now wonderful in the world of Vermana.
  9. Jicmonster

Still waiting for official info on what style tank the Eng will be but it is the only class other then Warrior that I'm considering for my main. While there are a few styles of tech sword that I've liked, I've yet to see any rifle models that really grab me.
  10. Vermana

I just can't imagine Engi being a tank class. How does a ranged tank even make sense in the slightest? Why would a ranged class ever want to be tanky? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being ranged?

I still think Medic will be the Heavy armor class, like a Paladin, and the Engi will be the Medium armor class, like a Hunter.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

It would be pretty odd if the class wielding rifles and big guns are the ones donning heavy armor. :p

There's sure to be a lot of interesting information when the final two classes are revealed.
  12. Jicmonster

SWTOR had ranged tanks and I real enjoyed the play style of my bounty hunter. having nice ranged options can be very helpful as a tank for gaining/maintaining agro on adds or in movement/transition oriented fights. Some of the boss fights that we've been shown so far call for lots of movement to avoid telegraphs/events during the fight. being able to sustain threat at range should certainly be helpful.
  13. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Vanguard/Power Tech (SWTOR) is the only "ranged tank" I've played in any previous MMORPG, and in PvE they function pretty much like a straight up melee tank except that they can initiate and pull aggro from range a bit better than traditional melee tanks. In PvP (which I spent 99% of my time playing) they were pretty damn fun, but essentially they were (again) just like melee tanks in the sense that you wanted to get right up in the face of your opponent. You had some good ranged nukes and gap closers which made you pretty much unkitable. But yeah, they whole "ranged tank" doesn't really make sense (prove me wrong Carbine), you're really just a run of the mill tank who happen to have ranged abilites (in SWTOR at least).
  14. Xlugon Pyro

On that note, if engineers indeed play as tanks, I imagine they'll have all sorts of interesting techniques that make a lot of sense for a hi-tech rifle wielder. It has the potential to be a very creative and fun class.
  15. Jicmonster

The Power Tech had wrist mounted flamethrowers, rockets packs, missiles, and other fun gadgets. It felt a bit like a full suit utility belt. I think it was that flavor of the class and all its eccentric tech that I enjoyed. When I had heard about the Eng I honestly hoped that it would provide a similar style of play.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Sounds awesome. I want to taser people!
  17. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Problem with the Vanguard/Power Tech is that it's not really a ranged playstyle. Sure, you have abilites that you can dish out from medium to long range, but you always wanted to be in melee range to be the most effective you could be pretty much.
  18. Jicmonster

In raids I always felt a bit less tethered to what I was tanking. Fights with mechanics which force me to dip out, reposition, or kite felt less detrimental to my threat then they were with the more traditional melee-centric tanks. While being in melee would allow my full compliment of abilities the greater number of ranged options made me feel a bit more mobile/ranged then my other tanks.

I don't think I went into it expecting that a tank would be designed to maintain max-ish range at all times. I always viewed it on more relative terms. Providing more ranged options and tools to use as applicable but you'd still be built to survive when the mob ultimately closed ranks.
  19. Raarsi

Raarsi Cupcake

That's nice, but I'm still waiting for an extendo-boxing glove as a threat generator.
  20. Jicmonster

they had one in DC Universe Online if i recall correctly.