1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Engineer" Weapons

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Archangel, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

Would be nice to have a wrench you could smack a mob upside the head with to get some aggro. Could even be a ranged taunt, Boomerang Wrench!
  2. BennyBones

BennyBones Cupcake

I'm absolutely positive that the engineer will be a tank. There's no way they'd have the medic, the class who is named to be a healer, is a tank. If they take a leaf out of SWTORs book it's not so much ranged tanking as it's half-range. Some things are at a range, but some things are melee. The issue with a ranged tank in other MMOs, if it's purely ranged, would be that melee classes would be punished. As we know melee classes are often at a disadvantage in a neutral encounter. Neutral as in it doesn't have specific gimmicks to hurt any particular type of class. They're often at a disadvantage because they have to run around which means they can't use all of their abilities properly.

BUT in Wildstar, as we known, people will be able to use pretty much all of their abilities while on the run. That suggests, to me, that the engineer might be a fully ranged tank who uses a combination of kiting, snares and machinery to keep the boss occupied. I'm not sure how they would mitigate damage if it's through avoidance or what. But I suspect the engineer will be a fully ranged tank unlike the BH in SWTOR which is more of a half ranged half melee kind of story.
  3. Raarsi

Raarsi Cupcake

That wasn't threat generation though, which is what sorta made that as useless as it sounds.
  4. Jicmonster

Jicmonster Cupcake-About-Town

In that game, when you were in tank role, all powers generated additional threat. Then I think they even modified how the system worked so each power functioned as a 5 sec taunt. So it had no innate threat mechanic but tank "stance" did on everything u used. I had it in my earth tank build for a lil bit cause I thought it was funny when Harley hit me with it.

I think it would be interesting but there could be lots of balance issues if a class was designed to somehow have strong solo kite potential vs raid bosses. The class would need some mechanic to bypass the CC armor that bosses are otherwise designed with to prevent CC. Which, in turn, would somewhat trivialize a mechanic built into every boss in the game.
    With the CC armor mechanic intact you would need to be able to spam apply CC repeatedly with an attack till the immobilize stuck. The other option would be coordinating multiple CC uses from every raid member over the coarse of every fight.
  5. BennyBones

BennyBones Cupcake

I think coordinating CC with the others is the only way to bring down CC armor. I seriously doubt any class will be able to dish more than one or two CCs per minute (or thereabouts). Imagine the PvP nightmare :p
  6. Jicmonster

Yeah, I think that is the main reason I doubt a tank class would be built as a "fully" ranged class in this game. For you to maintain range vs the majority of bosses you would need mechanics to forcibly hold them at bay. Since they stated that there would not be a "pet" class and there is the CC armor I'm not really sure how else they would go about maintaining distance other then run screaming for their lives on ever fight.
  7. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe the Revengineer will be medium range, focused more at grabbing adds and pulling bosses to certain locations. We have stalkers and warriors for close range, espers and spellslingers for long range/ large area aoe, it would make sense that medics and engineers are the middle ground with more '15ft cone' abilities.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

If engineers have chainsaw bayonets attached to their rifles, that would be badass. Would help tackle the ranged tank predicament. XD
  9. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

Well to be honest I think they can be whatever they want. I mean, all classes are supposed to have multiple viable specs, so, I'm assuming one could make an Off Tank, DPS, or Support Engi just as easily as a full tank.
  10. Jicmonster

More and more I find my interest in the class hinging not just on the classes mechanics but also its flavor. The numbers behind how it functions are, of coarse, important to how it meshes with my play style but I'm also hoping it will have an interesting kit. Really looking forward to more info on it and crossing my fingers for that info being something I can sink my teeth into and get behind.