1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Enough dungeons in wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jdielas, Sep 5, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Woah, I am going off of things that have been said by the devs, that they're looking to have somewhat dynamic dungeons and that Adventures are 2-3 hour stents of content with group PVE and they have multiple paths per adventure. That's coming from Carbine devs, and because we should take what they say as what they're going to do, you can assume it is fact. So... ok I'm making an assumption that the Carbine devs aren't lying to us. But if you're going to assume they're lying to us then why not believe they're really doing 20 thousand dungeons despite them saying they aren't?

So, I'm just going off information that's been given to us for what adventures are.

It's not "me" claiming adventures are these things, it's multiple interviews I've seen from various devs and such. What I'm trying to get at, is that number of dungeons/adventures have no units, and neither do WoW dungeons, so it's really hard to compare the number of 6 adventures + 4 dungeons for WS and 17 dungeons for WoW. So, while the number of dungeons will be less, we don't really know what that means because, we don't know how satisfying the content is. I'm not saying your claims of them being less in quantity is wrong, I'm saying they're claims that are unitless, and therefore incomparable.
  2. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Things are starting to shift from discussion to something else entirely. I recommend you stick to the discussion bit rather than the attacking others bit. </Mod Monocle>
  3. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

no such thing as enough ..
    10 is how many Rift had. They seem to like Rift so maybe that's where they got their number?
    seems thin. wow had more and added more dungeons before adding raids.

this is the new breed of mmos though. enough solo content to choke a donkey and some group stuff sprinkled here or there. disappointing, but .. seems to be what the masses want, so ..
  4. CRB_J-Tal

CRB_J-Tal Carbine Studios

WoW didn't launch with 20 dungeons. There were 14 (17 if you count the Scarlet Monastery as 4 separate instances). And no Veteran modes.

Just sayin'.
    Tribe, Haversham, Kash and 4 others like this.
  5. Ugh

Ugh Cupcake

You can run and tell that! Home boyyyy

..now i have Antoine Dodson stuck in my head
  6. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

Carbine confirmed it, 14 dungeons in WildStar at launch.

Better get to working :up:
    /end badjoke
    Ianpact likes this.
  7. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I only care about gameplay being good. Even if there is not that many dungeons at start but they are difficult and engaging I can live with it. Fortunately the quality > quantity, up to a reasonable point. So let's stop bickering and hope for all the game mechanics being well polished before launch, cause if they are not it won't matter how many dungeons are in the game.
    Zubbulon likes this.
  8. Tacomagamefan

Tacomagamefan Cupcake

Carbine has said, over and over, that they are acutely aware how important it is to have a sufficient amount of fun, high quality content both during leveling and at level cap. The dungeon demos we've seen are outstanding and will apparently have dynamic features that change. Plus there are a whole slew of adventures of which we hardly know anything at this point. So, given that we are some eight months out from launch, I see no reason to get worked up.

Although I could use a Snickers bar to be completely satisfied.
    Arawulf likes this.
  9. aiuradun

aiuradun Cupcake-About-Town

Well I personally don't like the wow comparison in this regards due to several reasons, one beeing players did not consume content at a rate even remotely close to what they do today. (no actual data for this just my own experience/beliefs)

As alot of people on this forum have said, I too value Quality over Quantity but a certain quantity is still required, that quantity beeing more dungeons / senarioes or dynamic dungeons / scenarioes like their raids, both could work.
  10. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

at 150 hours, people will have to play for 5 hours a day for the entire 30 day month, then they will just be at end game. If they do not speed up the time it takes to get to 50, with their build now, it would take 8 hours 20 minutes a day to get to max level with their average 250 hours of game time played. By the time the serious progression players get to end game there will be at least one major patch.

With raids being dynamic, and some other instances being almost as dynamic, people will repeat those dungeons multiple times. Thus a nice flow of more content.

They said at launch that there is more end game than there is to level up, so launch content will not be lacking in any term.

For me if it take on average of most people their 150-175 hour goal, it'd probably take me a couple or a few months to get to end game.
  11. Kallor

Kallor Cupcake

While that may be true (and at a minimum peoples expectations have definitely changed) the release cycle of new content will run at a different rate as well.
  12. XMtSforever

XMtSforever New Cupcake

They should just call dungeons something else entirely so they can go around saying that they're shipping with no dungeons.
    Crazyblade and Gunghoe like this.
  13. Deloim

Deloim Cupcake

It would be awesome if the phrasing "main dungeons" had the wiggle room for multiple instances. Like for example the scarlet monastery in world of warcraft. Add progress attunements for those and it would be golden.
  14. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

I hear there is no end game, this game must suck.
  15. Rentah

Rentah Cupcake-About-Town

Since carbine uses the ONCE-EVERY-(4-6)- WEEKS-PER-BIG-PATCH method. We will probably see more after release. But i think 5-6 is too low. Vanilla wow had 16 last time i counted. and wow could have done with like 11-12 and keep the high lvl ones. But as you see. this game might feel like it will need double the amount. and thats scary if you think
  16. Rentah

You mean only for playing them or if there's a elitist catch behind it? You know. Achievement whoring aswell? :)
  17. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

But WoW didn't launch with ANY "adventures" which we know to be 2-3 hour stents of group PVE that have multiple ways to complete. So... you can't simply compare dungeons to dungeons as units of PVE content. If you say the adventures are only equivalent to 1 dungeon, then there will be ~10 dungeons at launch (JTal mentioned 4 main dungeons and 6 adventures).

We don't know a whole lot about adventures, they've only been mentioned a handful of times, so it's impossible to say definitively if 4 dungeons and 6 adventures will be enough, but it does come down to how dynamic and non-linear they are. If they end up being extremely different every time you enter them (like it randomly picks which wings you can go down every time you enter the dungeon) it could end up making them feel fresh for longer, thereby making them worth replaying for reasons other than "faster levelling" or "gear". As mentioned earlier Vanilla WoW launched with 14 dungeons, and 17 if Scarlet Monastery was considered 4 different dungeons. So, IF Wildstar was just launching with dungeons and no other form of PVE instanced content, I'd agree that 5-6 is too little, but they aren't, so it remains to be seen if there's enough.

But in the end dungeons during levelling aren't terribly important, as they are supporting group play during levelling, and making it a unique experience for solo compared to group play. This means support classes don't have to level strictly by battlegrounds and dungeons.
    Bantheera likes this.
  18. Rentah

As you said. It definetly remains to be seen. The small problem i have with these adventures thus far (Sincei dont know anything about them) is: i dont even know if that is FUN. I know instances. and skirmish that wow inplemented in MoP CAN be exactly what adventures are. And that again isnt something innovative and new. So you can see my concern. Im not counting adventures thus far because i believe it will be the most boring thing i've ever seen in MMO's. which is like a Lore grind. Which i hate.
  19. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So, here's the thing though. If you're doing a dungeon during levelling, you're only doing it to break up questing a bit, get ahead on your gear curve and hopefully on the levelling curve. The other reason is because the player decided to go full support to level with. I can't imagine you were terribly excited about Ragefire Chasm after doing it... maybe twice, because of gear drops. So, if adventures are that type of thing, then you're covered for equivalent "fun" of a dungeon, even if they are the same as scenarios.

On the other hand, let's consider max level. If there's only 4 dungeons, that means your gear grind to get into raiding will take significantly less time, and raiders will be judged moreso on skill, because there are less dungeons to get gear from. So, if you run out of dungeons at max level, that's fine, because they're simply an intermediate step to raiding. If you're a player who wants long stents of content, but is not skilled enough or not regimented enough to raid successfully, then dungeons become your "hard instanced content" and adventures would be the unskilled equivalent to dungeons.

Let's say you do consider all of the 14 dungeons in WoW to be dungeons. The majority of them were little gems you could find while levelling. They also weren't considered necessary to level in early/mid levels. So, you could discount more than half of them in reality because many people didn't do them.

Again, I'm not attempting to say that dungeons + adventures will definitely be enough. But I'm also saying that until we have more information about adventures, we can't really say that the amount of dungeons implemented is not enough. Another issue is that Carbine seems to be taking a lot of things towards the open world, instead of putting it in an instance, so that feeling you get from dungeons could be filled by forming a group and hunting a world boss instead.

I agree Adventures could be the equivalent of scenarios, which would be a huge failing on Carbine's part, but I think from what we've seen, they will make it fun, engaging and interesting. It will probably implement various path elements and questing elements I would imagine, but we'll have to see. Either way I'd say it's at least as fun as a WoW levelling dungeon.
  20. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Skirmishes are quickly very small group content that can be done in 5-10mins, I believe the scale of Adventures is meant to be much greater (relatively), but we can only wait and see until the "SUPER-MAX ADVENTURE DROP" *ahem*, Cupcake.

Dungeons have always been a hit and miss idea. People who enjoy the story of areas tend to take much more kindly to the 3-4hour slog dungeons such as the original BRD. I love the scale of the dungeons and how before the age dungeon finders you could run in complete one section then get back out, only to come and do a completely new section :D.

On the other hand you get the more streamlined "new" way of doing dungeon where it's considered long if it takes much more that 40mins. The speed runner in me loves these equally but I feel they lack the scale of their predecessors.

My personal compromise is the way that Blizz did the SSC 5 mans and the HFC 5-mans in TBC, where you had 3-4 dungeons all in the same entry area, meaning if you wanted to do the "whole area" you'd start at the lowest level, level up in that and then build your way through the story. But, if you just wanted a quick run or were targeting a certain bit of loot you could also do that.

We'll have to see how adventures play out. I'm not hoping for quick little 10min excursions though, if I want that I'd do a housing dungeon.
    Tacomagamefan likes this.