1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Enough dungeons in wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jdielas, Sep 5, 2013.

1. aiuradun

aiuradun Cupcake-About-Town

Will both Shiphands and Adventures be at "veteran" level at max level?

and how difficult can the Housing expedition be turned?, could you ie force it to be 2 man difficulty even while entering alone?, or 3 man difficulty entering 2 etc to challange one selvf? or is it "hard locked" to follow a "how many enter" difficulty and the same off cause goes for shiphands / adventures?

Sounds like there are quite some variety which seems very promising :)
  2. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

So Shiphands and housing dungeons aren't one and the same?

Well this thread just got interesting yo!
  3. FrozenlandPT

FrozenlandPT Cupcake

And no BG's, no Arenas, no Housing, no level 60 quests, no Warplots

The point is not to compare X game with Wildstar but look how THIS game as ALL the things PEOPLE wanted in one MMO at LAUNCH.

I don't mind the number of "Dungeons" or "Raids" because I know there is much more than that, and I am truly happy for that.
  4. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I think this sums the thread very well:
    [​IMG]

Also very nice to see Carbine guys go little goofy. :up:

:inlove:
  5. Ico

And now you've got me wanting Dungeon armor sets. Why do you do these things to me?!?!?
    Arawulf likes this.
  6. Arawulf

Arawulf Owner of WildStarFans.net

Good list of group PvE content right there. As I think about it, if we're talking rewards, I'm pretty sure Expeditions only reward Renown (social currency). I don't recall if we've heard anything about what can be purchased with Renown or have we?

All in all, I'm very curious about what "Shiphands" will entail. I'm hoping "ship" refers to a spaceship or boat and not helping someone ship a package!
  7. Ico

I think I heard about housing related rewards? Would be quite cool I think if you could do an arena then gain a trophy to physically place in your house.
  8. Dende

Dende Cupcake

Quality > Quantity

And I'm pretty sure Carbine knows how to make your life hard !
  9. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

So those are kind of like the "Chronicles" in Rift? With the difference of the up to 5 people scaling? Sounds a bit like it anyway...
    And are they also Elder game content or just leveling? Either way, love the idea, anything that breaks the mold of conventional lvling from time to time is always nice.
  10. CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem Carbine Studios

There are no veteran Shiphands planned for launch, but that might be something we'll look into in the future.

They're similar to Chronicles in a way, but not quite the same -- Chronicles were made in large part for players to experience the concepts and stories around a raid when they weren't the raiding type; they reused raid instances (or cities) and spawned new content there in instance form. WoW Scenarios were similar in the sense that they made use out of spaces in the open world they felt were interesting.

Shiphands are a bit different. Instead of rehashing a place you've already been, the Shiphand mission will take you somewhere new -- most often on a large spaceship of some kind. Think of all the sci-fi shows out there that take place in space. Star Trek, Firefly, Farscape -- what happens most often is that something has gone catastrophically wrong in the ship somewhere. We like to play with those themes and settings. You're not going to find an out-and-out parody or rip directly from an episode you may have seen, but we do like playing with a lot of the common tropes. Parasites, alien abduction, technology gone awry -- we couch many of these shiphands in broad concepts you'll be familiar with if you're familiar with sci-fi at all.

Shiphands are, at the moment, purely leveling content; they are extended missions that change your venue for a while if you find one of these fine things while questing. We have a lot of crazy ideas moving forward. ;)
    Aresk, Maxtross, Arawulf and 13 others like this.
  11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Thanks for the info, that sounds awesome!

But from this last bit, it sounds like you won't be able to queue for them, so they're just little gems to find in the world, or through a quest line? I really like that, it gives extra depth to the game.
    Kash and Kataryna like this.
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Can I (as a hardcore Chua fanboy) see this as an unofficial ''confirm'' that we can enter ''Z-lab''? :rolleyes:

Also let me guess....you'll be able to enter a ship in which the ''contagion'' has spread? :p (I would love it)
  13. Doomhaus

Doomhaus New Cupcake

Every time I think "Ok, my excitement can't possibly get any higher for this game"... A little piece of news trickles in, and I realize I was wrong again.
    xwertg, Kash and Kataryna like this.
  14. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

No PvP Reward Systems (no HK, no nothing- just the ability to flag) IIRC, just TM spam fun times.
  15. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

The ranking system in old Vanilla WoW is something I regret not earning... I got the second horde rank (I think its grunt, or scout). It stayed with you as a title after they took out the ranking titles. People kept asking "Oh man, how did you get that title?" To which I respond "I'm an old fart, and I pvp'd for this title."[even though it wasn't a lot of HK]
  16. Infamouz

Tried to like the post four times; Once for every awesome TV series mentioned and once for the post it self and how excited I am to see the "Shiphands" in action... Unfortunatelly you can only like a post once :(

Don't forget to draw inspiration from Stargate SG1, Atlantis, Universe, Battlestar Galactica also.. Would be awesome to get to play some of the scenes from the episodes, with a twist of Wildstar.
  17. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

What I meant to say was that Vanilla WoW didn't have the Honor System until patch 1.4, which was, I dunno, 3 or 4 months after the game launched.

BT Dubs, I was looking at old patch details, and everything I remembered about playing a pre-1.9 Pally was true. Blizz really did hate us.

I'm looking at you, Cay.

Anyway, before the old HK system went away, my brother and I ran a BG steam roller group and we were able to get Centurion ranks on our server (for a long time, there weren't enough PvPers on our battlegroup for there to be higher than Lieutenant General - a glaring flaw in the system).
    Ianpact likes this.
  18. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

I think a leaderboard/raking system would kick start the competitive train for Wildstar PvP. Not to mention flashy titles.

-----------------------------

Are shiphands going to be rogue-like in design? I keep thinking "Warframe" when I read cay's description about it.

so every time you enter one, its a randomly generated room configuration (like a chaos dungeon in DND), and an overall objective is randomly picked? It's a lot in terms of setting up the algorithm properly, but damn would that boost the replay-ability.
  19. CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem Carbine Studios

I loved all of our disgruntled players equally. :laugh:

As for inspiration for Shiphands, oh, trust me, we talk about pretty much every sci-fi series out there. My team has a pretty well-versed library in their brains, and if we settle on a theme (like, say, some form of insanity taking hold of the crew) we'll discuss all the ways it's been done in the past and settle on a good way for us to approach it. We love the sci-fi genre, and we want to bring those sorts of experiences to you.

EDIT:

That is indeed a lot of work to set up, and no, not something we're doing. Each shiphand is its own map, and the map will be the same each time -- but there are random elements in some shiphands that increase replayability a bit.
  20. Infamouz

I would like to thank you, and all the carbine guys and girls for giving the community a chance to interact with you. It truly is awesome that you use your time to talk with us nerds* about the game, it's developement and where you are going with the design or just goof around with us for the lulz. :)

Much appriciated. :inlove:

I finished a Babylon 5 rewatch little time ago, and at the moment I am watching Star Trek: Deepspace Nine. Got to love the character Garak. He can be such of a douché yet have rather awesome humour. :)

*There is no shame in being a nerd. :)