1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Enough dungeons in wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Jdielas, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Sounds good, can't wait to see what you guys have in store. I always liked the concept but the way Rift and WoW did it just didn't tickle my fancy, they weren't challenging and gave no real rewards, but I trust you guys to do a better job!

Sign. Yes they did, with a passion. And I won't even mention the 5 min blessings in 40 man raids...Woups!
  2. MrGrimord

MrGrimord New Cupcake

5-6 dungeons at launch is enough. SWTOR has like 15 at launch and it was way too many. They were poorly implemented to the questing flow and we could easily miss a few of them while leveling.

I'm pretty confortable with 4 or 5 dungeon on the leveling flow because anyway, much of the time, we only do them once while leveing. At end-game on the other hand, it's another story.
  3. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

Wow this has me extremely excited for them. Regardless of if they're purely leveling content or not, the fact that they're re-playable most likely means I'll be taking advantage of the down-leveling system to run this with lower level guild mates pretty often :). I'm all for those staple sci-fi scenarios. Sounds like fun.
    Ianpact likes this.
  4. aiuradun

aiuradun Cupcake-About-Town

Ahh so much great info in this thread :)
  5. APOLL0

APOLL0 New Cupcake

Great to get some updates on this thanks guys!

So just to be clear, are Adventures also 'levelling' content, and 'Veterans' max level versions of the 4 Dungeons, with Veterans the only max-level gearing-up-for-raids content? Or will there be max-level Adventures with comparable rewards?

At the moment the variety of levelling content looks amazing, which I guess means the first update could be Veteran level content.
  6. CRB_J-Tal

CRB_J-Tal Carbine Studios

Adventures have Veteran modes too.
    Arawulf, Destrin and Kataryna like this.
  7. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

Lol I am sorry but for me to this <REDACTED>in day TARREN MILL pvp Was EPIC. It was the best thing i ever experienced in a game. If a game could bottle that up it would be amazing. We forced blizzard to give us PVP arena's by constantly crashing Tarren mill on every server! 10 years later we can't even get games to render 100+ people on screen in TM there were 300+ !
    Kash and Kataryna like this.
  8. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

The honor system grind was no joke. I was the 3rd high warlord in the game in medivh server. It was sickening what I had to do for it. About 6 weeks of 16+ hours a day. I was competing with people playing the same account. Killed the game for me.
  9. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

TM is one of the reasons I believe the main incentive for game activities is fun, not [necessarily/just] reward structures. There are many in our segment of the industry that choose to focusing solely on carrots like items, titles, mounts and achievements, and not on structurally enforced, self-perpetuating "emergent" fun.
    Ianpact, Sonntam, Crimzen and 5 others like this.
  10. Doomhaus

Doomhaus New Cupcake

And I was wrong again about my excitement levels for this game.... Thanks J-Tal!

So to those just joining in this thread, recap:

Shiphands were announced.
    There will be 4 dungeons at launch, AND 6 Adventures... Adventures are a new form of "dungeon-esque" instanced content that contain new mechanics and multiple paths.

So in terms of "Instanced Content / Dungeons" (Not include Shiphands)there will basically be 10 at launch, 20 if you include Veteran modes.

Order of difficulty/loot:
    Housing Expeditions
    Shiphands
    Adventures - Dungeons (these are about the same with Dungeons being slightly better)
    Veteran modes of Dungeons AND Adventures.
    Raids

To sum it up, those complaining about "not enough dungeons" need to stop now... Or, keep at it! Maybe we can get more info out of them ;) (seriously though, stop)
    pseudo and Kataryna like this.
  11. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

That is a very good correct observation that I have never realized. Its crazy now to think we actually did that just for fun huh? no reward nothing just repair cost and lag yet still everyone was there just having fun. I would love to see that in a game again.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I think that's one of the reasons Carbine is holding off on putting in open world pvp objectives. They want to see the places which are most likely to incite huge battles constantly first, and then put in infrastructure to accommodate it.
  13. Jdielas

Jdielas New Cupcake

wow when i first started this post i didnt expect to get sooo much (new) information about the leveling process.I expected something along the lines of "well its a few dungeons at launch and we will add some stuff a few months after". But damn am i impressed at the moment! I thought the leveling process consisted of questing,path and a few dungeons in the way...but now? dungeons,adventures,shiphands? DAAAAAMN son xD
    Kataryna likes this.
  14. APOLL0

APOLL0 New Cupcake

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation J-Tal!
  15. Destrin

Destrin Cupcake

ERMAGERD!
  16. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

Forgot Expeditions (scalable housing dungeons - we talked about them briefly at PAX Prime this year and after PAX East last year). And raids.

Yeah, we have a crapton of content. Polish polish polish time right now for us, looking forward to the next round of beta testing.
    traggarth, Crimzen, Arawulf and 10 others like this.
  17. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Do you have information of endgame solo and small group content you are ready to disclose? I would love to know what kind of a content the *casual crowd will be getting, as it is very important that this crowd enjoys your game so you can keep making raids exclusive and challenging.

I understand if you are not ready to disclose this information, I am just very curious. :)

*Nothing negative meant by "Casual"
  18. Xo1o

Xo1o Cupcake

Yes, those two letters bring back good memories :). I remember "fighting" players 10-20 levels above me at TM. Those were my first MMO PvP experiences and I had a lot of fun. Then the honor system came and ruined everything *insertfistshake* .
    I don't remember where, but I read some good thoughts about reward mechanics once: the person said, that once you reward people for doing something they might enjoy, they will start doing it for the reward, which then often becomes the most important thing about the activity. Thinking automatically becomes result driven, the activity's worth becomes determined by its rewards and the way towards the reward becomes an obstacle that needs to be overcome efficiently and quickly (I exaggerate a bit).
    Inukeu and Brisselio like this.
  19. MrGrimord

MrGrimord New Cupcake

Can we expect a new beta build somewhere at the end of this month or in October? :)
  20. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I've not been hanging out here very much since the game was pushed back to 2014 and the fact that I am enjoying FFXIV ARR. But, I was very happy to read this thread.

Thanks for the info Carbine! Oh, and welcome Caydiem, Carbine did well there, makes me hope for a little RP love. For the game that is ;)