1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Equipping for Support & DPS While Leveling

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Domi Dayglow, May 25, 2014.

1. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

So the official had this thread a few weeks ago about how there was little motivation to take anything than assault gear while leveling through questing. The argument being that those people were left under equipped to fill the role as a tank or healer when it came time for adventures and dungeons. That's not the core argument I want to bring up.

I'm more curious about how you plan to equip your character for the end game? There will be some people that will only be DPS, but it's also true that you will have more grouping opportunities if you are able to fill two roles. Some people may want to be a healer or tank, but that want to still have a little assault power for when they solo quest.

So I was looking at the first two characters I'm going to make. One is going to be an Esper and the other a Spellslinger. With my Esper, I really plan to be a healer in adventures and dungeons. Or at least able to switch out between the roles. My spellslinger? Mostly DPS for a while as I'm not very confident in their support abilities yet. I need more practice.

My plan for equipping my character? Hugs!

Okay, not hugs. I'm going to get my spellslinger to level 10, just enough to pick up crafting. I'll take mining and weaponsmith. Then I'll take my Esper and choose tailor and mining. The esper I'll take on to level 50 while collecting mining resources on the way. I'll be able to make armor for myself in the role that I need or am lacking from quests. I can mail those mining resources to my spellslinger to make myself the weapon I need! Yays!

Then after my Esper is level 50 I can turn my attention to my spellslinger. I'll already be able to make any armor that character is lacking and weapon.

Then there's Plan B. That's mostly to keep a lookout for items of the role I'm under equipped for on things like dungeons and adventures. I'll just have to make it a point to keep an eye out on how I roll. If the esper healer on the team rolls a need on a psyblade, it's only polite that I pass. They need it immediately, I don't. Being on a team without an Esper healer I can easily need that psyblade.
  2. gechos

gechos Cupcake

Im planing on rolling a tank/dps class (warrior or enginner atm) to start with and ill be lvling that guy with a friend who is planning on a warrior so we were planning on going 1 weaponsmith and one armoursmith so we can supply ourselves with the gear we need as we lvl them (at least in theory) . As i was planning on the dual play I was gonna go full dps gear until about lvl 15 then ill start to gather tank based gear ready to start tanking the first dungeons and ill keep my 2 sets upgrading them as I go.

Once I get to max lvl (without knowing the crafting efficiency for raid based gear) Ill either craft or start running dungeons and adventures. Once My gear is good enough Ill do Heroics until ready for Raids. Im also planning on doing PVP so may fill a couple of slots with PVP gear till I get better. Not sure on how the pvp stats work but if it goes the way I think it may be good for tanking role more than dps due to the higher health and shield stats.

With your tailor and miner im not sure that will work as I think each crafting proff works best with a gathering proff even tailoring (I might be wrong). So mining might not work for you. But with your weaponsmith you should be able to lvl it a little faster by just concentrating on guns for your spellslinger.
  3. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Most of tailoring is cloth that comes from humanoid npcs. I was able to collect plenty, although having to salvage, pretty easily in open beta. There are some elemental signs you need, but I was able to collect those from encounters. Especially towards the end of open beta. I think they increased the drop rate. I suppose if it doesn't work out I could always change. I just thought that collecting mining resources while I was concentrating on my esper would keep my spellslinger supplied to make pistols and psyblades.

It occurs to me that at level 15 to 20ish people will be looking to collect items for their alternate role for dungeons and adventures. Healing and Tank support equipment might actually sell pretty good on the auction house at those levels. Especially items that boost resistance and focus recovery.
  4. gechos

gechos Cupcake

Ye i didnt really get a chance to look at the crafting properly as my limited time i spent trying out the diff classes/races and factions. Its a good idea to mix the mining with tailoring if you dont need a gathering proff to match it. What i would say is if your gonna be mining on your first char to supply the second you prob dont need mining on the second toon unless gathering is that farm intensive you need it. If it was me id prob pick a second gathering proff something like archeology (i think it was called) the one you need to supply the alchemy proff for flasks etc so you can get ppl to craft them for you or at least they should be good money makers like in other games.

Its good to know that I dont need a second proff to go with tailoring. Also it is a good idea to maybe start using the AH at around the 15-20 lvl mark with off spec gear mainly also if there is a pvp style set for that lvl that as well as from videos ive watched they recommend not doing pvp until lvl 14 (not sure if thats because of the lack of players in the betas to get better balanced lvl teams or the way it is). Also id say putting gear up at set lvls based on the entry lvl of each dungeon would be good. the rest ill prob just break down for more matts but it all depends on the economy and matts needed to lvl the proffs althou i get a feeling from some videos it will take a lot.

In most mmos I aim to have all proffs covered with enough gatherers as poss to make it easier to farm etc but as im going to be playing with a friend between us i think we can get most of it sorted. It also depends on how helpful and crafting orientated the guild we are in is and if they decide on having set guild crafters etc to make the patterns that drop in raids etc.
  5. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I'll be focusing on a healing role come endgame.

That being said I'll be dps spec for leveling (although I will have a heal spec from the second action set unlock).
    Dps gear will be prioritised over support gear until I start getting within reach of 50 in the event of a choice in quest rewards.
    Crafting is not an option due to how we plan to level (we're in a competitive progression guild) so will be something used to fill in gaps 'as and when' I get chance to level it (tailoring has a few expert recipes that are very nice for filling in equipment gaps due to item specials).

I'll still be collecting support gear as and when I can and pretty much be carrying around 2 gear sets (dps + support) - yay for my poor bag space :p. This will allow flexibility if needed to accomplish any group quests that can't simply be zerged down/kited.

Once at 50 it'll be dungeon/adventure spam after visiting appropriate rep vendors to pick up immediate dps + support upgrades (and beginning the Crimson Badlands rep grind due to rep upgrades there). This also helps max out that Dominion rep for raid attunement.

Within dungeon groups I'll pick up support upgrades and any dps upgrades not wanted by our main spec dps folks.
    By the time we have enough attuned for raiding we'll likely have every possible upgrade from veteran instances (should have done 100+ instance runs) + I should also have had chance to max tailoring and fill in any equipment gaps in both dps + support gear sets.

Not sure if that was what you were after but it's a chance for an old bloke to natter on about nothing so I'll take it :D