1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Esper Weapon - Glaive on the back

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Rein, May 13, 2013.

1. Rein

Rein New Cupcake

So the Espers have glaives as their weapons, right? All the play I've seen from them so far they have their weapon stuck to their back and do magical abilities. Am I missing something or do they just keep it on their back?
    Xaeldn likes this.
  2. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

From what Ive seen its on their back. They are not a melee class, consider them a caster and the glaive is their caster focus/stat stick.
  3. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

yea I doubt they do a lot of melee attacks with it being a spell class( maybe not at all) but hey i'd rather have that on my back rather than a tiny wand on my waist i'll never look at lol
    Blaquknite likes this.
  4. Xaeldn

Xaeldn New Cupcake

It would be nice to see them at least hold it and use it as a focus of some sort, rather than just carrying it around for no apparent reason. :I
  5. Phyllo

Phyllo Cupcake

I may be mistaken but isn't there at least one move that they toss it in one of the PAX east 2013 vids? Also I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a tron disc at some point in gear leveling. :p
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

My opinion:
    Well i rather see them having them on their back or on their waist, then having them in there hands and as soon you start casting they magically disappear till the spell is cast.

I aint very bothered by it :D By others may be, it's your right to have an opinion about it :up:

From other games perspective:
    Then looking at other games....i see exactly the same, so it's not like it's something we haven't seen before. For example WoW: Mages have their dagger at their waist (you can see the enchant on it), but don't have it in their hands while casting.

Lorewise speaking:
    But mayby there is more reasoning behind it then we know? Mayby the steel of the weapons doesn't conduct the energy of the Esper very well and therefore using a ''steel'' weapon might not be the best option for your spells.
    I can imaging that casting a spell directly from your hands to the target is stronger then trough an additional barrier (like wood/steel etc.)

Mayby it's like lightning, except even steel doesn't conduct it :p
  7. Rein

Rein New Cupcake

As far as I know, glaives are throwing weapons. Though I could be wrong. I just find it a bit superfluous as having a weapon that's not used. Like Xaeldn said, maybe they could "float" it between their hands while it's spinning and that could be the way they focus before casting a spell. You know like Harry Potter doesn't walk around with his wand stuck on his back...

Phyllo, if that's true then it's all good. It's fine if they don't always use it, but for certain spells or skills it would atleast be cool to see your mythical weapon doing some damage. Otherwise they may as well be weapon less, just give them a spiritual backpack of some sort and they're good to go.
  8. PenPen

PenPen New Cupcake

I'd prefer if the weapon didn't appear at all. The idea of the the spellcaster who summons their abilities solely with their hands really appeal to me... but then, a visible weapon that is always having its look being upgraded gives the player the idea that they're becoming stronger - not to mention that getting cool-looking weapons is something most people really like.

I really dislike the Esper's "combat-ready" pose, though. The one with the stretched arms. I just think it's ugly.
  9. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

I went on a really long rant about how I thought it would be more desirable for the psyblade to do something more than stick to the back of the Esper, especially when it will be hidden with characters that have long hair.

I intended on eventually make a post about it for people to share their thoughts.

I figure it could float and spin around the caster or directly overhead depending on the spells being cast.

At this point it might be too late for the assets / animation team to implement something like that though.
  10. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Personally I'm happy with how the Esper is right now. The psyblade is extremely badass looking, and I like pretending that it's a pair of blade-wings on the back of my future aurin esper. To me, the skills that use the physical psyblade or their mental counterparts are those amazing, "the gloves come off" kinds of finishers or mid-combo builders.
  11. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

maybe the esper needs it to create projections? idk lol when we learn all the lore im sure well know...or hey, maybe they just wanted them to get a badass looking weapon too and didn't really plan on having a story behind it.
  12. Nekofest

I never really thought or cared about why Espers need psyblades.

I have this impression that it's nothing more than a lifeless asset simply there as a placeholder for Espers to have some sort of weapon to fill the item slot.

For reasons I stated in my previous post.
  13. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

If there was an ability that let you build up a damage charge by repeated attacks (or a damage boost type power with a cooldown) the blade on the back could reflexively 'glow' in some way to indicate it. Since it's already on the character's back it would be easy for a player to see when the 'Big Squishing Attack!' is ready.
  14. Nekofest

I want to say it was confirmed in the M30 patch notes that Espers have some kind of combo points system.
  15. Domi Dayglow

I seemed like I had remembered reading it somewhere in there too, but I couldn't find it word for word. Only thing I really remembered about such things was the warrior's 'Kinetic Cells' and their charge up each time they attack.

Though, now I'm wondering if it would be just as neat if the warrior's sword glowed when the charge was full.
  16. Minutemike

Minutemike New Cupcake

From Esper description on the official site:

"Espers learn to use the psyblade a sharp and deadly projectile weapon propelled through the air by the force of their minds."
  17. Nekofest

I'm quite a fan of those sorts of telegraphs but in practice they may not work well in a game such as WildStar.

Perspective is something to largely take into consideration. These sorts of indicators are along the lines of subtlety so they are best conveyed on either extremely large objects/mobs where it is no longer so subtle or in a game with first person / up close third person perspectives so at least you have a closer view of the subject and it appears larger.

The perspective of this game is far/medium zoomed out third person.

Another thing to take note of is the psyblade is constantly on the Esper's back so as an opponent you will probably not often see the psyblade since they're likely to be facing you when ever they are doing something that is anything but fleeing.

I mean given how awesome the Esper animations appear to be with their projections from their spells I'll settle for the psyblade being a lifeless asset. It would just be nice, not a necessity, for it to have a some life to it.
  18. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I would like to see some amazing psyblade designs since it'll be on the back all the time. Like floating crystals that rotate around you or maybe wing like blades and the like
  19. Domi Dayglow

We really haven't seen many of the weapon models at all. Except for maybe the claws the stalkers get and different colors of swords.
  20. Carnatia

Carnatia New Cupcake

I think it would be neat to have an attack where we use the telekinetic power to physically throw it and return it like a boomerang.

But I only think it is something to help focus their power, and it also affects how their spells look. The blade dance ability changes depending on the psyblade on your back. I've noted it in a video I watched with a dev talking over it.