1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Espers: Illusion, Delusion, Confusion, and the Groovitron

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by ruff_ethereal, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

tl;dr: Can espers just plain mess with people's heads, like get them off their back by convincing them "I'm the goddamn Batman!"?

We all know that Espers are mental masters, capable of propelling physical objects with lethal force using telekinesis, and summoning psychic weapons that have very real effects. We also know that they are able to use their energy to heal their allies, and buff them using inspiring visions, and consequently debuff their enemies by driving them insane.

My question is this: do espers have more entertaining ways to incapacitate their foes, or just plain mess with them?

Psychonauts had the Confusion Grenade, which stunned your opponent, or turned them against their friends, and had all sorts of amusing dialogue if used on the friendly NPCs. If accidentally used on the wrong character during a story mission, for example, you would get a cutscene where he would have a revelation that Dog is God spelled backwards. Then, he realises that Cat is actually God spelled backwards, and has a five second crisis of faith. He would then begin to jump around with his paintbrush, giving himself a rainbow mustache while singing "I'm painting just like daddy!"

Then he gets run over by a bull. (It makes sense in context, I swear.) The mission giver, upon seeing that, has this to say: "Nice work, genius."

Vampires: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines had the Malkavians, vampires who could see into the future, know what was not meant to know, and as a result are all irredeemably insane. Best summed up by this line:

"Oh (REDACTED). A Malkavian. I suppose I'll figure out what the hell you're talking about in a month or so. Man, I hate talking to you guys! I always feel like I'm getting an answer to a question I haven't even asked yet. Oh well."

Their powers, aside from the inherent hilarity of their confusing responses, and ability to have two-way, intelligent conversations with TV sets and Stop signs, were Obfuscate and Dementation. The former allowed you to fool your opponents into thinking you're invisible or somebody else, and the latter different manias, such as uncontrollable laughter or a revelation so horrible they die on the spot.

Combat wise, they were very helpful for crowd-control. Story wise, they were excellent for getting rid of human obstacles without being TOO cruel. You could, for example, get rid of a guard by A) convincing him his life is a joke, or B) giving him Disco Fever and telling him to dance the night away in an insane asylum. As a more amusing and bizarrely heartwarming example, you can prevent an old friend from your mortal days recognising you and breaking the masquerade by convincing her you're her pet turtle she flushed down the toilet:

Samantha: What's it like being a turtle?
    PC: It's like being a walking house that eats lettuce.

As my final example, do or can we have a status effect like the Groovitron from Ratchet and Clank? For those who don't know, the Groovitron is a limited use item in the form of a disco ball that plays funky music, and causes all in its AoE to dance, dance dance! It even worked on bosses. The final one has this to say:

"Once I'm through with this number you're finished!"

It was a much, much more hilarious way to stun enemies than the usual method. Every enemy and boss had their own dance, by the way.

RP wise, this is my character's special ability alongside really good dodging skills. She is a combat researcher, who uses herself as the subject's target to ensure she can study the tactics and techniques she's looking for. While I could, of course, have her make copies of herself and daze her enemies, I would much prefer it if, both in-game and in-RP, she could make them Disco Dance and scream that they want to go to "Candy Mountain, Charlie! Candy Mountain!" when things get too hot.
    Fate Flyer and HoneyBadger like this.
  2. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger Cupcake

Summon up a Disco ball and we'll dance.

Wouldn't actually be surprised if it was added in one point or another, considering the potential.

I am half-expecting Espers to be Bard-esque in the form of mental music of some kind, but one can hope. Summoning up Banners/tools for support, summoning up a choir of healing and summoning an instrument to start up a ballad of buffs?

Kinda like that, here's to hoping for Disco-stunning. (though it won't happen ;_; )
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  3. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

You should look at DDO - one of the arcane crowd control spells is exactly that complete with music.

Relevant:
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  4. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Fry cry 3 had a good version of a confusion spell. It made it so everyone looked the same and you didn't know who was on your side or not so everyone would just go crazy and attack each other.
  5. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger Cupcake

I didn't like DDO very much, but...

[​IMG]