1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Espers = Psyblades, Spellslinger = Guns, then who...

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Doomhaus, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Doomhaus

Doomhaus New Cupcake

Uses staffs? Or are they not in the game?

I love the general "Warlock" class and usually always play it as my main. I played a Spellslinger at PAX Prime and wasn't very happy using guns or with the class itself (It was level 22). The guns felt kinda lame, and I didn't really feel like a spell caster at all.

I am really hoping one of the unannounced classes is a pure DPS caster of some sort that doesn't use melee or guns.
  2. Blackfurball

Blackfurball Cupcake

I am pretty sure that one of the unannounced class will be a DOTer, Since we don't have it yet.

If it will use staff? I realy don't think so...
  3. Doomhaus

Doomhaus New Cupcake

Based on the screens and seeing NPC's with staffs / Polearms. I would think at least one class would use them as a default main.
  4. SykoTavo

SykoTavo Cupcake

This is a sci-fi themed game with some fantasy elements. However, we can't go assuming that because it is an MMORPG it will automatically have items or other things that are typical of a fantasy theme. Nonetheless, it doesn't exclude the possibility either.
    Saybel and Doomhaus like this.
  5. Doomhaus

Doomhaus New Cupcake

Good point, I wasn't taking the theme into account... But staffs could still be used even in a sci-fi themed game, the Witches of Dathomir or Tusken Gaderffii sticks could be examples.
  6. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

There won't be a "Pure" DPS. All classes are DPS and either Heals OR Tank.
  7. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

From what we've seen so far, no release classes will be staff users. What we do have confirmed are:

Dual pistols, claws, swords, psyblades/chakrams.

Based on promotion images from Gamescon and PAX, the unannounced engineer type class will use a rifle(see chua with a wrench in hand) and the also unannounced medic type class will use what look to be enormous defribillator paddles.

Given that multiple NPC's have been shown with staves, the animations exist as do the art assets to add them as part of a new class for an expansion.
    ruff_ethereal and Revon like this.
  8. Doomhaus

Doomhaus New Cupcake

Yea I know that, It's more the casting class with a gun that bothers me over anything. Mostly because I really dislike using guns in an MMO. But, whatever I have to use I will... I just prefer a staff.
  9. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

I may be late to the party but if you are talking about some of the various pics out there that showed a character using a staff, I was told that was an animation for an ability of the esper.
  10. Brynnevere

Brynnevere Cupcake

It does look like there are some esper ability[ies] that has a glowing scepter involved in the animation--don't remember what video I saw it in though. But there are screens of characters with full on wooden staves in more relaxed poses. They may just be npcs, but it could mean that a player class has the staff as a primary weapon.
  11. WavE

WavE Cupcake-About-Town

two newest classes will use rifle and what looks to be like...some kinda...dual defibrillators?
    Saybel likes this.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

To the OP:

It appears the esper is the closest to a "warlock" class. We know it has dots (the little spiders that come out are dots). The newest devspeak also showcases one ability where the esper rains down swords in an AoE, and another where they spin around like a tornado and rain down glaives.

There will be no "pure dps" classes in WS at launch.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Staves are an unknown. Some people speculate that one of the final classes will use them, but it could also just be NPC weapons.
  14. WavE

WavE Cupcake-About-Town

I bet staves were espers original weapons, but were probably thought to be too samey and replaced by the psy shuriken thingy.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

If so, I'm glad they made the change. Psyblades are infinitely cooler than staves could ever be.
    ruff_ethereal and Saybel like this.
  16. WavE

WavE Cupcake-About-Town

tes i agree. Getting rid of the staves also takes another step away from fantasy, and one towards the sci fi feel of wild star, which i think we all appreciate.
  17. Xlugon Pyro

I might just roll a medic alt just because their weapons are so odd. I told my sister about them and she thought it was really odd. XD
  18. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

I am pretty sure the Esper is the staff-wielding class.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

No, they're the nunchuck wielding class.
    Xecks likes this.
  20. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

In some of the gameplay videos you can see Espers using staves. It makes sense for them to be the staff wielders as well, because they are the only pure caster class in the game.