1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Story Everett's Sphere - Episode 0101

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Patrician, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

This was my submission to the "character background" story contest Settler in Exile is having this week. I hope I win a SCIENTIST PIN! AHH!

Ahem, anyway I thought I'd share it here too. Enjoy this brief glimpse into Basil's beginning...

Everett's Sphere - Episode 0101

A holofilm begins showing the dirty interior bulkhead of some spacecraft. Then, a young boy's voice is heard singing a tune as if through cupped hands.

"Dun dun, dun dun DUUUUUN! Doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo, doo! DOO DOO, doo doo doo doo doo, DOO DOO! Dun, DUN! Dun, DUN!"

Eventually the excited child's voice speaks as paper cutouts begin to rise to illustrate his dialogue.

"Hello, friendly prepubescent preteens! Today on the Everett’s Sphere pilot episode, we explore the mysteries of the Planet Nexus! Where is it? Will the intrepid and infamous explorers of Fringe space ever find it!? Is this a piece of Nexus, brought to us by our very own Dorian Walker!?

It is at this point a child’s hand holds up a small rock between his thumb and forefinger.

No, fellow adolescents! This was given to me by Young Miss Passepartout when I was making inquiries on her collection. She was nonchalant and indifferent to it’s passing!

A camera spins around now, hovering in front of a young boy with a monocular scientific apparatus too large for him strapped to his forehead. He wears a lab coat and big rubber gloves, also rather large for his small and skinny frame. In his gloved hands he holds the rock along with a beaker of some kind of bubbling liquid.

However, what the young miss did not count on was the power of my deduction! I know her father’s exploits, and this simple extraterrestrial terrain could well be from the fabled Nexus! Now prepare yourself, audience at home, as I, Assistant Professor-in-Training Basil Everett, will now prove beyond a shadow of a doubt whether or not we hold the key to a home in our hands!

Now the hovering camera zooms out further to show another very confused young boy glancing from Basil to whatever is filming them in a nervous fashion. Young Basil gestures towards the new face in a way that suggests this person is of little consequence as he continues.

My assistant, here... um...

Jim,” the helpful boy offers, “But as I said, you can call me-

Tim here,” Basil talks over the other boy, “Will aid our research in handling the experiment’s application. Now, you take these, Slim,” Basil continues in rapid fire succession, handing both the rock and bubbling concoction over to his “partner.”

Jim,” the hapless boy attempts to correct, but takes each of the items offered as if this has all been agreed upon beforehand and he is just doing as he’s told.

Now, carefully pour the catalyst over the specimen, Assistant Quinn!” Basil says triumphantly, even as he slowly steps out of the camera’s frame.

His little tongue sticking out of the corner of his mouth, the lad known as Tim follows the other boy’s instructions. For a moment as the liquid seems to almost be absorbed by the stone, nothing happens. Then the stone begins to smoke and shake in the young man’s hands and he looks at it in slight fascination, and then fear, and he glances around as if suddenly realizing he might not have made the best choice in getting out of bed this morning. However, before any further action can be taken there is a loud explosion and black smoke fills the screen.

After a lot of coughing is heard, the smog and smoke is finally waved away by a scorched Basil. From far away and clearly off camera we hear a woman’s voice, probably from another room on the ship.

BASIL T. EVERETT, YOU BEST NOT HAVE BLOWN UP YOUR ROOM AGAIN! AND IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR FRIEND’S MOTHERS, THE FRINGE WON’T HIDE YOU!

Somewhat nervously, Basil quickly says into the shakingly hovering camera, “Tune in next week when we discover how to remove all traces of experimentation from your laboratory environment!

A small groan is heard at Basil’s feet and after a quick kick to hush whatever might have been said from the voice, Basil makes the cutting motion several times near his neck. The hologram ends here.
  2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

I love this! Everett's Sphere is such a great idea that I've never seen done before, very fitting for the setting I feel. It would be amazing as a machinema possible, down the line!

It's awesome to see how Basil started out, and I love how it's been a passion of his ever since childhood. It gives a really cool feel of the character I think.

And as always, amazingly well written, it had me cracking up so many times.
    ruff_ethereal and Patrician like this.
  3. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Thus began a lucrative career in science and the HoloNet. I love how episode 1 is actually years back before Basil ever touched down on Nexus, let alone adulthood; I have this distinct feeling that his antics will only scale up and up till finally he's covering an entire planet and his assistants have even more unfortunate fates.

Thanks for the awesomeness, Patrician; it's much appreciated.
    Ender and Patrician like this.
  4. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Oh yes, and I think a couple episodes happen as he grows up. ^^ I just need to write them! Must find the time.

Ok, granted I wrote this in like an hour or so... but I guess I mean I just need to sit down and feel inspired/motivated to do it. ;)