1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Explorer Parkour (Jumping Puzzle Fans)

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by TehMaker, May 18, 2013.

1. TehMaker

TehMaker New Cupcake

I am a fanatic of jumping puzzles and hardcore parkour. Guild Wars 2 currently plays a huge role in my gaming enjoyment. Since there's not much difficult content in the game atm, I speed run jumping puzzles.

Recent speed run for a low level JP called "Goemm's Lab"

Another recent speed run for the WvWvW Eternal Battlegrounds puzzle

Is anybody else really looking forward to these elements of the game? My fascination started with Dodge Pro Mod in Unreal Tournament 2004. I know it's not one of the most popular aspects of any game, but I know there are some of you out there!
    Kurik and Azhdaha like this.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I won't be an explorer but I do plan to check out the jumping puzzles. I like myself a good puzzle with a reward at the end, even if it's just a measly achievement. They're a nice little distraction when I'm out questing, collecting mats for crafting, or if I'm just plain bored. I probably won't speed run them though, since I won't be an explorer. XD
  3. TehMaker

TehMaker New Cupcake

To each his own. I think the elder game will suffice for the first half a year or so but who knows, we may run out of things to do ;0
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

It all depends on how much content they put out and keep putting out. I roleplay too so in addition to rolling alts so I will undoubtedly make an effort to explore everything the game has to offer if I have the time to.

However I will dedicate my time primarily to raiding with PvP as a close second. However, I will not show any mercy to any jumping puzzles I might find. They will succumb to my nimble limbs!
  5. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I'm definitely looking forward to hopefully some crazy jumping puzzles all over Nexus. :)
  6. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Definitely having an alt with explorer first or second.
  7. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

I wasn't into the gw2 jumping puzzles that much, simply because i couldn't find them and I was too distracted to speed level to 80, but the ones i did came through I really enjoyed.
    Also the event ones, like on the karka island, for Christmas and also for Halloween, the Mad King's Tower, that was a blast, hopefully there will be similar puzzles in W*, would greatly enjoy them.
    TehMaker likes this.
  8. TehMaker

TehMaker New Cupcake

I hadn't even thought about holiday events for this game yet :eek: Definitely looking forward to seeing what kind of temporary holiday-esque features we'll see :D
    Drarorm likes this.
  9. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I saw those videos, very impressive stuff. I consider myself a middling JP player in GW2, I've completed about 75% of them by now, haven't gotten around to finishing those two yet though.

Two mechanics that GW2 doesn't include that I'd love to see out of WS are using dodge at the top of a drop to reduce damage, and at the bottom. By at the top, I mean something I often do in GW2, even though it doesn't actually do anything, which is to hit dodge to "roll" off a cliff if I'm intending to drop straight down, rather than just running or jumping off. It doesn't actually do anything, but it looks cooler, very parkour. and it'd be nice if it shaved like 5ft or so off the calculated drop distance. Likewise, when you land it'd be nice if you could hit dodge right before landing to greatly reduce the damage taken.

One concern I do have is how in GW2 you can trivialize a lot of elements by using various class-based powers that cover terrain. You use some of those yourself, which I don't fault you for, they are a part of the game and a lot of fun to use, but it does lead to class imbalance when it comes to jumping puzzles, with some bringing several really strong tools, like aerial lunges, light sources for dark rooms, "reset buttons" like Spectral Walk or Portal, etc., while others get nothing of the sort. These can be a lot of fun to use, but if Jump puzzles become a core leveling mechanic in WS, it could be problematic if some combat classes had significant advantages over others.
  10. TehMaker

TehMaker New Cupcake

Awesome friend! The dodging and jumping mechanics for Wildstar (granted I haven't tried them yet) look a little bit slower and less distance covered than GW2. I think their intent behind that was to not give too much of a movement advantage to certain people. However, seeing the leaping healing skills and switching places with various enemies makes me ponder otherwise. Depending on how much you can utilize these jumping puzzles or experience or monetary gain it could be problematic. But I think they'll be ready for the possible exploitation of these kinds of things. We shall see soon :)