1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Explorer Path, Hopes and Dreams

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Jaxom, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Jaxom

Jaxom New Cupcake

Hey Everyone,

I noticed that there were some other threads on the other paths but not too much specifically on the Explorer Path that I could find. With what you have seen in the past month or so, what are you hoping they incorporate into this path?

I know for me, I was a HUGE fan of the jumping puzzles in GW2. It looks like this path will incorporate some of that which is very exciting. I hoping they take those jumping puzzles to the next level and really test our will to explore every nook and cranny of the map. I remember seeing in one of the videos where the player was getting shot up really high in the air by vents.

The other thing I think I remember them saying is that there will be gliders of some sort. I really hope they add that to the explorer path jumping puzzles. I feel like I could play around with that sort of system for hours on end.

Your thoughts?
  2. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

My husband is chomping at the bit for Explorer (I'm opting for Scientist), so I'll be along for the ride. I'd personally like to see little hidden nooks and crannies that lead to a monster spawn, cave, treasure trove, etc that you cannot find without exploring every last inch of the map. I always think it's cool in games to find something unexpected that folks who stick to the quest paths would never find.
  3. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

I'm completely torn between the scientist and explorer. I do love the exploration aspect of GW2. The vistas and jumping puzzles are what drew me to that game so I am very happy that they are going to be a feature in Wildsar. The "power map" explorer quests seen in the explorer video seem like a beefed up jump puzzle and very rad. Probably my favorite part of the explorer path so far is the underground secret passages!
  4. Maestric

Maestric Cupcake

Treasures ! I want to explore every hidden cave and in them hoping for some sort of hard boss or a jumping puzzle of some sort that will have a great reward at the and but with traps and stuff like that ! Hoping for some lore secrets as well , some kind of cinematic for discovering certain things . But in the end fun and rewarding stuff ! Heck a vanity pet would be worth it ! :D
  5. WickedMir

WickedMir Cupcake

I hope the same as most here: nooks and crannies, with elaborate sub quest lines. I also hope that the path chosen will somehow be visible in our character customisation. Perhaps a map sticking out of bag or binoculars dangling from the neck? Something that will make your char feel like a true explorer.
    Jaxom likes this.
  6. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I'm the sort of player who wants to experience everything, read all the lore, and whatnot. (This makes the Path system a bit of a dilemma as I don't know which one to pick first!)

But the Explorer path, I have to say, doesn't look toooooo enticing from what's been shown so far :(. Full map exploration sounds like something that can be achieved even if you aren't an Explorer; and that's one of the main activities it sounds like you do. That's something I try to do anyway in games I play :p.
  7. WickedMir

WickedMir Cupcake

From what I have seen in the game play for the explorer path is actually more interesting then just 'marking off visited places on the map'. There is quite a bit of layered content that you don't get to see as for example a scientist or soldier would. Some of the caves shown are an example of that (and folks correct me if I'm wrong here please!) but it looked to me that that the only way to know that cave A was in that place is to set up the beacon which in turn showed you the location. If they did this in the way I think they did that mountain would show only rock for the other paths. Now while you are in the cave there is also content for the other paths, but finding the cave/getting in there, looked to me as an explorer path only option.
  8. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Yeh... you're wrong Innocent sorry xD

And by wrong i mean that you can't explore a map fully without being an explorer or following an explorer buddy as only they have access to all the secret passages and hidden places etc. :p
  9. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Nah I'm glad to be wrong in that case. ^_^

But it does create another dilemma for me now. I don't like rolling lots of alts and I want to make my first char THE BESTEST, but now I can't be all completionist sicne I can only play one path per character! Noesssss!

I know they said that as a Scientist, you will discover SOME OF THE BIGGEST SECRETS IN THE GAME, but I would assume that you would do that too as an Explorer! Arrgghhh! I want all the secrets! :cry: #firstworldproblems
  10. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I still cannot decide which path I want to try first. However, Explorer is holding a large appeal because of the possibility of things like the jumping puzzles. I also loved that part of GW2 and would really like to see how Carbine incorporates something like that into Wildstar.
  11. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Haha well two alts one for scientist and one for explorer isn't a lot of alts eh? No worries ;)
  12. WickedMir

WickedMir Cupcake

There is no such thing as too much alts :D
  13. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I just hope you can disable double-tap to dodge and rebind it to a key/mouse button - jumping puzzles will be pure pain otherwise :D
    Other than that just hoping it's more of what we've seen in the vids and waiting on more Scientist info as I'm sure I read a comment about that being a 'bit of everything' path so got me curious.
  14. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I guess I'll write up what functionality would have me sold. Cue poorly structured sentence with euphemisms.

Explorers fulfilling a similar role in Wildstar as Fixers did in Anarchy Online. By that, I mean they have access to a vast fast travel network that only explorers get access to so other people will seek them out in order to get access to this network. I mean a system beyond the caves we've already seen before. Fixers were great because unlike the normal Grid where only key points were available, the Fixer Grid had an extensive network of exit points that sped up things greater. I guess what I'm basically getting at is that I hope they fulfill the role of mage portals/F-Grid/meeps/etc and more in Wildstar. Utility such as this is too underutilized nowadays.
  15. Jaxom

Jaxom New Cupcake

Yakzan, I certainly hope you are right. That would be fantastic. I'm thinking that you would probably need to colaborate with the Settler path if that was the case.
  16. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

I just hope that there are some extremely challenging Jump Puzzles, falling 100 times just makes success 100 times sweeter! :)
  17. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

Falling 100 times just makes me want to go melt faces for an hour. Then come back and conquer that measly jump puzzle on the first shot. :D
    Bellaby likes this.
  18. Bellaby

Yeah sometimes you need to take a step back, but just imagine when you've found ALL THE THINGS!

Oh the adventures us Explorers will have! We'll get to see places those other settlers could never even imagine! Like trees! Big ones, with bouncy leaves and glowy fruit! And adorable critters!

Trees n' Critters! Frolick!
  19. clack

clack New Cupcake

So excited for explorer. Something I'd love to see for explorers would be the equivalent of a can of spraypaint, or a chalkboard at the end of a jump puzzle. Some way to leave a message for future explorers, perhaps a hint, perhaps a sadistic nudge off the side of a cliff.

In Dark Souls, there was an item that let you leave scripted messages for other players. They ended up being kind of cryptic sometimes. Some were funny, some helpful hints, and others were just trolls. Even so it was really fun to decide which to trust and discover the clues others have left behind.

'lulz clack wuz here'
  20. Bellaby

Yeah but if it's anything like the NintendoLand U Lobby, it'd just be a bunch of wieners and swears :[
    clack likes this.