1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Faction Barriers and Roleplay

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Dairios, Apr 5, 2013.

?

Do you believe Dominion and Exiles should have some Socialization?

1. Agree! Factions should at least be able to Communicate.

50.0%
  2. Disagree! We're not here to talk, we're here to win Nexus.

37.9%
  3. Neutral. I don't really mind either way.

12.1%
  1. Dairios

Dairios New Cupcake

First thread, so I figured I'd open to discussion and hope I can attract a Dev around here with like, waffles or something else of deliciousness. Would anyone here know (maybe from PAX or something) or have a theory to any barriers that we may have to deal with? I understand we're two different factions fighting each other, but at the same time, I don't wanna be cut off from friends who will say, be playing their Draken while I play my Aurin. I'm an avid role-player, and it always saddens me when there's just this huge brick wall thrown up between half the playerbase.

I would love some cross-faction interaction now and then that doesn't involve punching eachother in the face. I'm sure others can agree, even from a non-RP standpoint. When you cut off half the playerbase from one another it also creates a large divide in community I've seen. I'd hate to see Exiles and Dominion become Alliance and Horde with a fierce forum rivalry and a "My faction can beat up your faction and we're better because such and such and you're just such and such! Nanana boo boo!"

I don't mean we need to share world channels and things like that, but at the very least we could have Yells, Says, and Emotes between us. Even SWTOR had (Has? I know Emotes could be seen but were removed, and /s was/is visible between Republic and Empire) some cross-faction dialogue available.

Yes, Faction competitiveness is healthy, but when completely divided from one another it tends to go a little beyond that, I think. So here's my silly little role-player post. Agree? Disagree? Ideas? I'd love to hear what you all think!
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  2. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I'd rather there be only the one faction that everyone's a part of, but there's good reasons against that, and I understand why Carbine made the decision they made, even if it's not my personal favourite.

I'm sure that faction rivalry is something that Carbine not only considered, but is one of the reasons why we have two factions in the first place :p. They'd want faction rivalry since for many people, it's one of the things that inspires passion for a game. I trust most people to keep things good-natured and fun. :p

They've also said that there won't be any cross-faction PvE, BUT...with the imminent danger that everyone on the planet is going to face, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least an alliance of convenience between the Dominion and the Exiles at SOME point; though probably not for a long time. :p
  3. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

All I want is to be able to do cross-faction RP without the use of external chat clients, which is annoying and frustrating and pretty much defeats the purpose of roleplaying in the game to begin with.

No /say or /e barrier, please, at least on the RP server(s). x.x
    Trigger, Tokyomurai and Lyas Tyrell like this.
  4. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

I could see how the chat barrier would make roleplaying a problem, I never thought about that before :(
  5. Batzorig

Batzorig Cupcake-About-Town

I'd be alright with no cross-faction communication on PvP servers, but perhaps leave it available on PvE servers? I like the option to be available somehow, as RP can bring up interesting circumstances where it's nice to be able to communicate with someone from the opposite faction.

I'm also curious if we'll be able to cross-server friend people of the opposite faction. I know lots of people who will most likely be on a different side and server from me, and since we really won't be interracting, it would be nice to be able to chat with them in game.
    Catrike and Simokon like this.
  6. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

From the back stories introduced, the two factions are long rivals with an ongoing war. One is pretty much based on stomping out the other, since they didn't want to conform.

For the Exiles: so you get your world invaded and ravaged or destroyed, friends and family slaughtered, banished from your home world, every thing you have ever known lost - except others of your race surviving, you've been hunted ever since, and only to know that the Dominion are still out there doing this to other planets and races. At least one of the home worlds is still occupied by Dominion forces, enslaving your entire race. Running since you were exiled from your planet, you've been searching for a new home ever since.

For the Dominion: if you don't surrender via pledging leadership to our supreme leader, then you'll be destroyed. We are the rightful Heirs to the universe. We have badass Mechari and a pledged/conquered Draken war machine that will do our bidding, which is simply to stomp out any resistance from "pathetic vermin that infest the galaxy" and control the masses. Dominion galactic diplomacy isn't striking up a friendly conversation :)

I voted disagree, but emotes and stuff should be able to cross over and maybe /say for when you come across the opposing faction. But socialization as in positive on both ends, no, unless you have some superb RPing.
    Catrike and Vembumees like this.
  7. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

I do see how cross faction communication could be enjoyable for role play. However, the sad part is 99.9% of such role play would be the roles of jerk, rage play or just personal attacks on players.

I am fine with the inability to communicate. This way it's our actions that speak as we play the role of the Dominion or Exiles.
    Catrike likes this.
  8. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I don't care if the smug lil' Casses, can't understand me words, they'd be gettin' the message when I plant me stogie up their arse! You don't think one of 'em space goats gets the meanin' of me tyin' his horns up and shovin' his head in the dirt? Bah, maybes they'd understand me when I be hosing down those walkin' screwdrivers and be makin' 'em rusty poles in the ground!
    Catrike, Thuunkas and Ssj782 like this.
  9. Venion

Venion New Cupcake

I had some fun RPing with the enemy faction in Rift, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to do the same here.
  10. Silais

Silais Cupcake

I put down a very solid vote for allowing faction communication - in fact, I signed up to this forum just to do exactly that, as well as share my thoughts in the hopes they are considered.

I've been a roleplayer since the early days of WoW, and one of the things that has always bothered me in that game is that a language barrier is enforced between the two factions. There are many who support such a thing, but I feel that that such a game mechanic is nothing more than an arbitrary wall set up to instill a forced sense of animosity and alienation from the other side, and there is already enough tension at hand without making it impossible to even speak to them in any meaningful manner.

Furthermore, the game's lore -rarely-, if -ever-, supports such a mechanic, as it is frequently, if not continuously, broken in every aspect of the game that is not directly in the player's own area of influence. In World of Warcraft, despite Alliance and Horde players never, under any circumstances, being allowed to speak to each other, the NPCs of both sides would freely ignore this rule and speak to players - or other NPCs - on either side as if it simply didn't exist. Faction leaders are more often than not engaged in at least some manner of communication with opposing leaders. Quest NPCs in neutral hubs will calmly talk to any player that approaches them, regardless of their race. Races never before encountered by anyone will be freely able to talk to us - which is very jarring, particularly when the race in question may never have existed until recently, or has not been seen in hundreds or thousands of years.

And then there are things like the tauren and night elves freely living in Moonglade, who seem to have absolutely no problems talking to either us or each other. Why are we forced to be beholden to some arbitrary rule when it's never applied to anyone else?

Going even further into why it doesn't work, the universes' own rules don't support such a thing. In the Wildstar universe, for example, the Mechari were created by the Eldan with the specific intent of being able to seek out and communicate with any other race. Indeed, there is at least two thousand years' worth of precedent in the manner, going by their own 'Meet the Mechari' segment in the races - as well as precedent for them directly interacting with one of the races that would eventually come to join the Exiles, the Granok. It feels to me that it would be a massive violation of established canon if they mysteriously lost this innate ability for no other reason than the developers wished it so.

In short, there is very little, if any, real reason to actually have a language barrier between the factions beyond some attempt to combat trolling and smacktalk - and I promise you that has never stopped -anyone- who was intent on causing grief to another person. It also does absolutely nothing to stop what has, in my experience, been the worst source of grief and verbal abuse in MMOs - my own side. We have ignore lists for a reason - what's stopping us from being able to use them on opposing players, if we feel the need to?

Having a language barrier in this game would not only be incredibly immersion-breaking, as well as forcing me to shelve several roleplaying ideas I'd had floating around, but it would also remind me of World of Warcraft - and one of the reasons I ended up leaving it in the first place. I want Wildstar to work so very badly, especially since I've been jonesing for real, personal player housing since I'd first heard of the concept, and I don't want to feel my gaming experienced to be stunted for what I feel is a 'just because' sort of rule.

We are all (hopefully) grown men and women in this game; I promise you we can handle it. Far more would be lost if the ability to speak to the other side were thrown out than would be gained.

I hope to hear a definitive answer on the issue soon.
  11. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

I really think languages should be Racial, and you should be able to change your language. There should be a common language that everyone can speak (lets say Cassian because well... It just makes Lore sense).

Letting the other factions be able to /say and /emote to eachother is a no brainer to me. Why not let them talk?

No shared channels though, I think that stuff should be kept separate.
    Mudfin likes this.
  12. Naunet

Incredible post, Silais. I can't give it enough thumbs up.
  13. Rawhide

Rawhide Cupcake

While there is an obvious need to be able to communicate with both factions, especially for role-play purposes, I believe that that need is outweighed by what happens if you don't limit such interactions to something like local chat. If a player doesn't have the option to escape a player who wants to make a nuisance of themselves, cross faction interaction can easily become a tool for griefers, who are, unfortunately, a very real factor in MMO gaming.
  14. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

/ignore [player name]

The End
    MrFallenAngel, Trigger and Rawhide like this.
  15. Rawhide

Rawhide Cupcake

I wish this was true, but in my 12 year MMO experience this is, more likely than not, not the case. Greifing is a very real and common practice and just because you are lucky enough not to be affected by it doesn't mean that others are as lucky. I've seen players run off of servers over it and even out of games.:(
  16. Rawhide

Rawhide Cupcake

I hear you there. I use my ignore all the time. Just saying that the hazing can get out of hand at times and even if that one person /ignores it, that doesn't keep it from continuing in general channels to the continued embarrassment of that player.

But still. I see both sides. Cross faction interaction is a blast for RP.
  17. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

But yeah srsly, /ignore is all you need.

Like Silais wordfully pointed out above, the lack of cross faction communication is just a woefully LAZY way to force animosity between factions coming from a development team that's, so far, prided themselves on not cutting any corners.

It's just......an odd decision.
  18. Torchi

Torchi New Cupcake

Seeing how the exiles ( well the humans ) were once part of the Dominion that would mean they speak the same language. Common sense says they would be able to understand and communicate with each other. If you set is so both sides can talk if within range and build in an ignore that functions for both factions there is no reason not to allow cross faction communications. If previous MMO's have set it up so you could opt out of chat channels there is no reason to to allow people to opt out of the "Cross Faction" ( you guys will call it something cooler obviously) just as easily as they opt out of the looking for guild channel or trade.
  19. Naunet

In Rift, there's never been a language barrier, and in all my time playing it, I haven't once seen it cause any more problems than what would happen with a barrier. In fact, I've seen a great deal of actual camaraderie because of the lack of a barrier, more perhaps than there would have been with one. Trion eventually broke down nearly all faction barriers (save on PvP servers, and your faction city/NPCs still attack the opposite faction), with cross-faction grouping and dungeons and such. WS doesn't have to be that extreme, but I highly doubt dissolving the language barrier would cause any significant problems.
    steelsuit and Trigger like this.
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The ''Barrier'' WoW uses has no use anyway!!!

Instead of reading: ''Omg you're a noob''
    I now just read: ''Ras du o Bareth'' (something like that)

So it doesn't really matter if i can read it or not, they just say it anyway and they can just spamm it aswell.
    Ras du o Bareth
    Ras du o Bareth
    Ras du o Bareth
    Ras du o Bareth
    /ignore
    (silence) but still getting some rude gestures toward me gotta love some /emotes :p Which they can spamm aswell :D

Barriers are no good, just let me hear them. But indeed if you don't want to i'm in for a faction ''language''.

Mechari language will be un-understandible anyway....
    Sees 10 Mechari ROFL'ling their mechanic asses off....
    Exodus_31, MrFallenAngel and Flawz like this.