1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Faction Barriers and Roleplay

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Dairios, Apr 5, 2013.

?

Do you believe Dominion and Exiles should have some Socialization?

1. Agree! Factions should at least be able to Communicate.

50.0%
  2. Disagree! We're not here to talk, we're here to win Nexus.

37.9%
  3. Neutral. I don't really mind either way.

12.1%
  1. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I'll trade my data for your data on how talking to the other faction "destroys faction pride". We'll do that cool thing where we slide suitcases across a table at the same time. It'll look awesome!

Oh wait, you don't have any data, because your opinions are about as subjective as mine and it's incredibly hypocritical to ask me to go out and collect statistics to support my opinion when you apparently don't need to.

It's okay though I didn't have a suitcase either. Those things are expensive.
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Not like you are going to read it anyway, but there is literally tons of evidence that directly constradicts your claims in general.

http://www.ideasinactiontv.com/tcs_daily/2004/02/over-humanizing-the-enemy.html
    http://source.southuniversity.edu/examining-the-mob-mentality-31395.aspx
    http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1020283?uid=3739856&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102463929421
    http://www.fabbs.org/fabbs-foundati...-persuasion-psychology-s-use-in-intelligence/

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. You argue that WoW is a black sheep becuase its one of few that does this, and it is successful in spite of it, when psychology suggests its one of the things that has actually lead to its success. You can tell with how the original dev team designed things that atleast some of them came from a solid psych background. If anything, its exactly that training that is so missing in much of the gaming industry. Traditionally there are 3 paths into gamedevelopment. Programming, Art, and getting in on the ground floor as a tester and working your way up. If more devs understood how people think, and why, we would have many more games that actually appeal on a fundemental level.
  3. Exodus_31

Exodus_31 Cupcake

Oh my, has real life politics really wandered into this neighborhood? An individual who supports all of this republican and conservative rhetoric of propaganda and xenophobia manages to wander into a place where the medium is something so against these viewpoints. It's space, in a galactic community of all kinds of "others", some of which we have to partner and work with.

All of these sources are things advocated either by or under George W. Bush and other conservative minded authors, some of which were critical of the propaganda method. Using the ideas presented in these ludicrous sources would basically say that xenophobia and fighting the "other" for the sheer sake that it's different and that we're told it's that way.

Now, Carbine likes to emphasize "Player Freedom" and if we were to so easily bow to this kind of rhetoric, we would be dashing that viewpoint away and tarnishing the name of the game's essence, which is community. There would not be a unified wholesome tight-knit community with this, but a forcibly divided community. Carbine would probably be sick to see their game turned into such close-minded garbage like this in a Sci-Fi setting where ANYTHING is possible.

Let's be serious, if someone like Livnthedream were to honestly believe this AND love an expansive and diverse world like WildStar, there must be some very clever trolling about. If I am wrong, then I shall eat this up like a delicious butterscotch candy.
  4. Livnthedream

You need to stop watching Alex Jones. Seriously.

First, you really need to seperate game mechanics from the lore. Then you need to stop drinking the koolaid. Carbine is already dividing the community along raiders/pvpers/soloers by gear, not to mention playstyles with how they have set up paths. Splitting again by side makes perfect sense when you see how it fosters faction pride and helps with general identity. There is a reason one of the first questions asked when you find out someone else played WoW was "Horde or Alliance?" because it colored the rest of the meeting.

Go eat your candy, though its not because im trolling. I do not "love" the meaningless lore. That is Koolaid that is pointless to drink when it can be retconned at a moments notice because they want to. I do however enjoy mechanics, and the mechanics they have shown, and how they talk about them gives me great hope. Besides, if you truly "loved" the game then shouldn't that love be unconditional? Shouldn't you merely want whats best for the game and not what you personally desire?
    Catrike and Lucker McNoob like this.
  5. Silais

Silais Cupcake

Oh, Dream. You were doing so very well, right up until you let it slip just why you were really here.

So, the lore of an RPG does not matter in the slightest, does it? Meaningless? Koolaid that is 'pointless' to drink, because it can simply be retconned?

If that is true, then answer me this: why are you here?

You don't have any real idea of what the gameplay will be like just yet, and I seriously, seriously doubt that the gameplay alone makes Wildstar worth looking at from a raiding perspective. After all, there are dozens, if not hundreds of other MMOs and large-scale multiplayer games for you to choose instead, all with their own gameplay offerings, so...why did you decide you wanted to focus on this one instead? Obviously something else besides its game mechanics is being a deciding point here...

And I know what the likely answer is - it's one that I'd expect from many hardcore raiders - you picked this game because it's the one that your friends chose, which is a perfectly acceptable answer.

To which I ask: why did THEY choose this game? All of my previous points would apply to them as well - there has to be more than simple game mechanics at play here in order for them to choose, out of the whole wide world of MMOs, this particular game that has come to be called Wildstar.

I know what it is - it is the lore, that word that you seem to hate so much. It's the reason this is an MMORPG, not merely an MMO. It's the driving force for creating the monsters you're killing, it's making the specific world that you're fighting in, it's why your gear and character and spells and everything else you're using or opposing in battle is what it is. If the lore was different from what it was, all of that would be drastically changed in some fashion or another, and the game would play so very differently from what it's slated to become.

And that lore is the driving force for the playing style of people who do not raid hardcore, or even at all. There are more people in this game than simply you and people you agree with, remember, and we're paying for the game just like you, even if we are not playing it in the same way. We, as roleplayers, need that lore to focus and create our fun in the game, just like you need it to create your raid bosses, combat mechanics, and loot rewards.

To claim otherwise makes it blindingly obvious as to what kind of person you really are, Livnthedream: you are a troll, plain and simple. You are deliberately telling this bald-faced lie to a thread full of roleplayers purely to anger us.

This conversation with you is over.
    BlueDragon18 likes this.
  6. MaximTheRaven

MaximTheRaven Cupcake

<A Random raven appears.>

*Peck peck.*

Caw.
  7. Livnthedream

Honestly, I am here because of Jeremy Gaffney. He gave a presentation, and I liked what he had to say. From there I have done some digging and feel the attitudes and the mechanics shown give me hope that this is a game that I can call home.

Not really. I have played most of the AAA titles, and chunk of the "indy" mmos, and they are all lacking in many ways. Whether they were not engaging because of content issues (mistuned, buggy), or were mishandled by devs *cough* Rift *cough*, or just failed in providing me a good reason to stick around (WoW). I like Gaffney's Vision. Now it remains to be seen if its all just marketing speak or not, but based on track records, and what has been shown, I feel its likely to atleast have a rather large nugget of truth, which just so happens to be the very thing I feel has been missing from many titles for quite some time.

Actually, while this is not a bad assumption to make, you know what happens when you assume. Out of my "friends" the only ones that are interested are the ones that I introduced to Wildstar. So much so, that I actually had to go guild shopping for the first time in a long time. See, most of my friends have either hopped back into Eve, or are even now salivating over ARR. ARR is nice, but from what I have seen of beta its not for me. I feel that game has a lot of potential for endgame, but the leveling sucks balls.

First, I do not hate lore. I like lore in point of fact. Assuming of course that lore is being used correctly. Lore should never ever be a rule that forces mechanics. Lore is nothing but the setting, it should work with a story, not be the story. Its why you can do things like take Shakespear and set it in present day and it works beautifully. Even drastically changing the lore, we would still have monsters, and spells, and weapons, and effects and reasons for doing what we are doing. The biggest problem with lore is when it is misused. That is when you get painted into a corner and you can do one of two things. Either you can retcon, or you can enforce lore and lose the option to make a choice.

Yes, because the lore should be the hammer that you sycophantic 5% get to use to make the devs do what you want right? No, I am not trolling. I am here stating my case rather clearly because the points that are being raised against are bunk according to science. You (and I mean your faction, not you inparticular) have stated outlandish things that do not stand up according to current psychological observations.

Hey, thanks for declaring yourself the winner. Not like you are not closeminded at all.
  8. Ayora

Ayora Cupcake-About-Town

<Mod Fab> I suggest we calm it down a little people, it's getting a bit hot n heave in here. Just letting you know, I AM watching. So let's keep it nice and civil, k? </Mod Fab>
  9. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Looks like a troll, sounds like a troll and (UGH!) smells like a troll. Yep, it's a troll for sure.
  10. Livnthedream

A truth you do not like is not trolling. Hardcore rpers are ~5% of the community, and tend to be some of the most elitist. That is all observable, repeatable data.

In fact, here is a nice overview http://www.raphkoster.com/2010/02/15/what-roleplayers-look-like/
  11. pinmouse

pinmouse New Cupcake

I'm not sure if it's been announced. But does anyone know if players from the Dominion and Exiles will be able to talk to each other, or will they "speak different languages"?

I mean, if they can travel across the galaxy in a starship, they should at least be able to invent "google translate"! ;)
  12. Livnthedream

There is a 15 page thread on this very topic still on the front page. While the denizens of Nexus may have the ability to use Google Translate, its rather clear that the players are not smart enough to use it.
  13. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

Dominion can talk to asura and the Exiles can talk to tauren, but that's it. it's the law of google
  14. WoodGoat

WoodGoat Cupcake

Personally I think it is a bad idea to have cross-faction comms. I remember back during Vanilla WoW/TBC the lack of such a feature led to a very active realm forum community and a large quantity of entertaining threads.

WTF do I know though.
  15. pinmouse

pinmouse New Cupcake

I agree with the OP that we should have some interaction. I would say in the /say (maybe /shout too) channel only (ie close to each other) and be able to /whisper friends cross faction too (would be cool if whispering was done in a RP fashion using a com-device or something).

Perhaps no communication is allowed at all in Battlegrounds (or other PvP type zones) between factions at all though.
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Absolutely nothing.
  17. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

<Moderator growl> SERV... khm.. Thread merge! Carry on! :) </Moderator growl>
  18. Trigger

Trigger Cupcake

I would also like to remind some of the others that this thread is in context of faction barriers in how it relates to RP.

If you don't RP and have no interest in RPing then perhaps this is not the place to tailor your posts entirely around game mechanics and the pvp community while simultaneously ignoring the RP community in your posts.

The fact that this is RP-related completely negates points such as 'not being able to communicate with an enemy makes them unknown which de-humanizes them.' I see and understand this point but since the thread is about faction barriers in terms of RP, it's important to remember that in the severe majority of any story with a struggle between two people, whether it's a war or based around an evil villain vs. a hero, the villains and heroes are able to communicate.

RP is about building stories with other players.
    Thus, communication is a valuable tool for creating engaging stories involving conflict between two warring factions.
    Silais likes this.
  19. WoodGoat

WoodGoat Cupcake

Rude.
  20. WoodGoat

WoodGoat Cupcake

If every post in this thread was in the context of its effect on roleplaying I doubt the thread would be 15 pages long.

Just because the OP posted this topic relating to a specific interest does not mean that the issue at hand should not be discussed with the game as a whole in mind.
    Livnthedream likes this.